• Yes - I would vote to abolish property taxes

Votes: 76 71.7%
  • No - I would not vote to abolish property taxes

Votes: 30 28.3%

• Total voters

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The non-property owners will vote against abolishing it as they know they will be taxed to pay for it another way if abolished.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I voted to get rid of them last time and will do it again, they should make it honest and have a stipulation on the ballot that says if you vote against property taxes and it passes you pay nothing and if you vote to keep them you continue to pay. Our county did a reevalution on property taxes and on average across the board my house, shop, bin site on the edge of town with my farm shop went up around 1100% yet our cropland went up 6% so until they tax cropland at it's real time value it's all bullshit. They value our cropland around 800.00 and tax it accordingly but that's so 1982 it's unreal, I can't remember the last time cropland was sold around here for under 3000 an acre, a quarter of pasture land will bring over 1500. I just want the Fed to raise the hell out of the interest rate and finally reward the savers.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy paying my fair share. I don’t enjoy paying attention

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would vote to eliminate property taxes on primary residence only.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure would be nice to actually own my property and not have to pay that annual rent!

Happycamper

Honored Member
I noticed the Bismarck school board is considering the construction of two more schools, also a referendum was voted down in one of the western towns. Given the $$ stashed in the "Legacy Fund, Land and mineral trust fund and some I don't even know about, there is no way property owners should be on the hook to fund education.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont mind paying my fair share but i own property in pembina county and ramsey county taxes in ramsey county are 25 times higher than pembina county. yes ramsey had alot of flooding but when the road had to be raised to get into our subdivision we had to pay to get it done.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact we still have this tax is absurd with well over ten billion in the coffers. I don’t think it’ll be defeated this time around. Every single person I know that voted against it last time, which is probably 90%,will not vote against it this time. The state hasn’t fixed the overtaxation and schools have gone hog wild. We defeated a referendum last week here in dist 8 rural Williston.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure I could dig through old threads on this topic, but if it were abolished, where would that money come from for counties, schools, etc? 10 billion in the legacy fund would burn up pretty quick... I'd have no problem abolishing it but what is the alternative?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure I could dig through old threads on this topic, but if it were abolished, where would that money come from for counties, schools, etc? 10 billion in the legacy fund would burn up pretty quick... I'd have no problem abolishing it but what is the alternative?

Increased sales taxes would do it... An increase on fuel taxes would work too. I have no problem paying some taxes to keep things up to date and functioning. They are a necessary evil that sometimes goes too far, that's why we change leadership if we don't like the way our tax dollars are being spent. What I do have a problem with is when I pay the rest of the bank note for my property, I still won't completely own my land/home.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just want the Fed to raise the hell out of the interest rate and finally reward the savers.

I don't think that will ever happen as the interest expense on the federal debt would sky rocket too.

Remember back in the early 80's when you could get CD's with interest rates in the upper teens?

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member

Legislators never seem to have a problem with finding ways to tax its citizens. If we can't eliminate the property tax, can we at least make it an even playing field for all property owners?

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/ag...cle_1ed47234-2c94-55ba-8a22-8302bf06c868.html

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. I want to own my property outright, no more renting it from the folks who collect property taxes.

2. ANYTIME you have a chance to abolish a tax, any tax, you should.

A. You're not going to pay any less tax than you did before

B. There is a MAJOR upside to abolishment anytime you can. Abolishment requires sitting members of the house and senate to put their names and signatures to new taxation regulations.

C. End result, the sitting congressional delegates are solely accountable for current taxation. No more "This is how we have always done it" bullshit passed off to folks who were long dead before I was ever born.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
schools should be funded with the common schools land trust like it was intended to be. There is over ten billion in just the common school land trust and legacy fund alone. Then increase sales taxes and those from MT pay sales tax. Won’t stop em from coming here. They come because they have to. Keep property taxes on businesses. Only eliminate property taxes on primary residences

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

The alternative will have to be determined by the folks who are in office TODAY, not 100yrs ago. No more "This is how it's always been done".

#ACCOUNTABILITY #TRANSPARENCY

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What i have seen is how unfair values are placed on the varies property.
One peice is way undervalue while another is overvalue and the same with farm and ranch land.

A lot of values are placed by people who have no training in valuing property.

There are rules for homes own by farmers or ranches as to weather they pay property taxes on their buildings or not. Most counties never follow those rules and one would find a lot of farmers and ranchers do not qualify to have their buildings exempt.

Just go to the courthouse and see what property sold for compare to what it is appraised at for tax purpose for the last year. It's on record.

Then the state says if your town is overall undervaluing property the town just raises all property value instead of taking the time with a qualify person to place values that are inline with what the home would sell for.

I have compare my tax value to other similar homes in the town I live in and again some are way undervalue while other are overvalue. My house at $132000 is probably about $30,000 below actual value but for the most part other comparable homes are also undervalue. And a few are overvalue in my opinion. So some pay more than their fair share while others pay less.
db

But today I have a model 12 rem in 22 special. Never been able to find bullets for it until I found out a 22wrf is the same bullet, order, got today and I am sure this rifle had its first bullet shot in it in the last 40-70 years.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​The locals in GF are completely out of control on spending. ie a 20 foot high blue head that you plant flowers on top for about 30G. WTF and now they want to completely rebuild the so called town squire for a couple of million.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I look at how much my SS has went up according to COL. So if you are on a fixed income your property tax's are killing you. Some day I will have to sell my home because I can't afford the taxes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34