Property taxes

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can respect your point of view. But I would also argue it would be simpler just not to have anyone pay that tax. It would shrink our government.
Are you at all afraid that the worthless politicians will shrink the parts of the government we need like police and road repairs and continue their pet projects and woke garbage and pocket lining?

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you at all afraid that the worthless politicians will shrink the parts of the government we need like police and road repairs and continue their pet projects and woke garbage and pocket lining?
Sure, but not scared enough to vote for them to take more of our money so they can spend more.

That would be like giving a child $20 allowance which they aren't earning. I'm not going to continue to give them $20 because I'm afraid if I give them less they will do a worse job.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple of thoughts. The state is sitting on piles and piles of $$$ while our property taxes and local sales taxes keep climbing. It is time for some kind of reform.

I think that the local property taxes need to be capped. The larger cities have a sales tax base and small neighboring communities may have none. This causes people in the small town to do a lot of their shopping in the larger cities. They end up paying for things in their community in addition to things in the larger city.

I don't know whether it is happening in ND or not but around the country hedge funds are buying single family homes and turning them into rental properties. This has is happening to a large percentage of homes in some areas. This has horrible implications for the middle class down the road. It would affect people's ability to accumulate wealth and retire. It will affect the stability of families and communities as people become more transient. People will not be as plugged in or invested in their communities. These banks have no heart and will manage these properties to maximize revenue.

Maybe ND could sell itself as a place where you can live and actually own a home? We control who can own farmland and pharmacies may we can control who can buy a home. Maybe use the property tax code to do it?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I don't mind paying property tax if I get the services they are meant to pay for. Took the township snowplow 6 days to show up, just in time for the next blizzard looks like MAMA's home for Christmas. SILVER ALERT just sent my phone into convulsion's. RED FORD TAURUS ND PLATES 755BCU 2008 year model Not the time for this, pray all turns out well. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess what pisses me off is like when WEST FARGO wants to up their sales tax to pay for a new something that I help pay for and will never see the inside of. Zip code should come into play for this crap and they=City of WF would not be so quick to approve if they had to pay for it all themself instead of me at Menards and Sam's doing more than my share. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your lucky, we still haven't seen a snowplow.:mad: and
Phone call has been made township dudes.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good luck^^^^^^ I heard every excuse but being abducted by aliens. LB

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok if someone wants to debate about property taxes then tell me who is going to pay for the services the taxes pay now. Espringers is the only one who has given real examples of why the property taxes need to stay as they are. I'm all for change but to make others pay for the services that they will never use is something renters from the city of fargo will have a hard time voting for if their tax dollars are paying for services in backoo. Give me a plan that will lessen the cost for everyone not just the ones who own the land/property, oil taxes is not a long term solution for the whole state. The people of the west are not going to be all charitable for projects on the eastern side of the state, every year for the total duration of oil taxes. You know it we may be north dakotans but as far as the way people think we are night and day different in how we see money being spent. Just look at the example of water pipelines being built to bring water from western part of the state to the east half to build plants that make fertilizer, irrigation, or cites like Fargo that are running out of potable water for a growing population of people who believe it or not don't own any property/land.

Believe it or not there are a lot of county roads in the mountrail, ward, Mckenzie, and McLean that get paved with the taxes from oil money, we are talking millions of dollars to pave roads that take a piss pounding, so what I'm getting at is if we get rid of property taxes and the east half of the state wants to replace worn out bridges with new box culverts, in Benson County you expect the people who contribute to the oil taxes to pay for that or raise the taxes on people who don't even use those services.
Lets here these examples of how we are going to provide money for services without property taxes. Like I said I'm all for change and I admit I'm ignorant to the whole logistics of the oil tax money and what it's used for. So can somebody help me out.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your lucky, we still haven't seen a snowplow.:mad: and
Phone call has been made township dudes.
Sounds like you need to right a letter to your local newspaper to explain why some roads are cleaned and others are not. You want to get answers nothing gets the publics attention like a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. I guessing you have dealt with this thing before and if you are like many others you notice that certain routes get cleaned before yours does, most townships bid out road maintenance to local contractors, and I can guess what their number one issue is not enough able bodies to run equipment. I'm telling you a letter to the editor and show up to your next township meeting will give you some answers quick.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s really not complicated. The formula for property taxes all stays the same. The only difference would be the source of funds. So instead of sending the tax bill to the home owners they send it to the state and the state pays it. If the state pays the taxes the county will have to be able to answer as to why they had to raise taxes. A lot tougher to argue to the state about that then just telling tax payers to mind their own business. If the common school land trust was used for education like it was intended property taxes would be a minimum of 50% less immediately. The common school land trust has over 5 billion of my memory serves me. And is growing at a fairly rapid pace. So I’m reality we would only be talking about replacing roughly 50% of current property taxes then. By only changing the source of the funding, if twenty or thirty years from now the citizens decided we needed to reinstate property taxes it would be very easy to do

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like you need to right a letter to your local newspaper to explain why some roads are cleaned and others are not. You want to get answers nothing gets the publics attention like a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. I guessing you have dealt with this thing before and if you are like many others you notice that certain routes get cleaned before yours does, most townships bid out road maintenance to local contractors, and I can guess what their number one issue is not enough able bodies to run equipment. I'm telling you a letter to the editor and show up to your next township meeting will give you some answers quick.
Show up at our township meeting and your going to get a job.:devilish::devilish::devilish:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Half of our township is in the Government pasture so I would guess our tax base is small. The land does not sell as rich as other townships. The township has only 9 miles of road that needs to be plowed the rest is county roads and half of the residents live on the county road. Most of the residents are cattle raising based so all have the big tractors and snowblowers (TAX WRITE OFF) so who cares if my half mile gets plowed. Guess I will go and cry myself to sleep, nap time. LB

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was on the twp board for 6 years, biggest problem with townships is lack of funds to do Maintenace properly. try and do Maintenace gravel and snow removal on 36 sections of roads on under 100k?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s really not complicated. The formula for property taxes all stays the same. The only difference would be the source of funds. So instead of sending the tax bill to the home owners they send it to the state and the state pays it. If the state pays the taxes the county will have to be able to answer as to why they had to raise taxes. A lot tougher to argue to the state about that then just telling tax payers to mind their own business. If the common school land trust was used for education like it was intended property taxes would be a minimum of 50% less immediately. The common school land trust has over 5 billion of my memory serves me. And is growing at a fairly rapid pace. So I’m reality we would only be talking about replacing roughly 50% of current property taxes then. By only changing the source of the funding, if twenty or thirty years from now the citizens decided we needed to reinstate property taxes it would be very easy to do
I see the common school trust fund is distributed throughout the state for schools as well as colleges/universities. So you think that it will also produce enough funding to pay for county/township needs for the entire state. I read the info on the common school land trust and the article in the minot newsletter talking about the proposed new school. Well if you are looking for a solution to fixing the prices of property taxes by the ways of using the cslt for immediate use rather then what is proposed by the committees stance that money is for the future of North Dakota i say good luck with that because in reality 5 billion used by ever school district as well as college/university that money wouldn't last 10 years. In one year $366,756,000 is used by for public education purposes, that's just for the cost of students per year. So if you say that on avg for 10 years it goes up by 20 percent for an avg of 425000000 - 4.3 billion for 10 years and that's just for students. Sorry eye it's not a viable option unless you can get the state government to amend the state constitution to close some of those college/university as well as local schools who only have a couple dozen kids.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The school i went to back in 59 closed. No coop. No combining sports, changing name and colors. I was upset but folks were for it. New class for me was bigger than the whole school i was going to. Competition for grades was fierce. I did not do the best but was pushed to make it. Best thing that happen for me in the long run. Way more opportunities.

I feel the worse thing we did was allow schools to combine sports. If the school could not field a competitive team in sports, how can they field a competitive education for the kids. A class of 2 or 5 or whatever is not preparing me for the future. We had to take test given out by the state for reasons in that first school. In time i learn my folks were right and i am glad they close the school and sent me on.
A school by itself cannot save a town.

It is good we are having this discussion and hope in goes on in Bismarck and yes i know there are many who want to keep their school going, so have more kids and if need be, get a couple of more wives. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
10-15 kids per family will add big time to one's foundation aid from the state for your school. Then all the kids for sports, band, a date for a prom ect, In that first school my class had no girls, the class ahead of me no girls and the one behind me one girl. And no prom. Best thing that happen to me was closing the school down. Today that town is the same size as it was in 59. However, no bar, grocery store. post office, school torn down but still as many residents as before with a couple of new homes built. db

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Half of our township is in the Government pasture so I would guess our tax base is small. The land does not sell as rich as other townships. The township has only 9 miles of road that needs to be plowed the rest is county roads and half of the residents live on the county road. Most of the residents are cattle raising based so all have the big tractors and snowblowers (TAX WRITE OFF) so who cares if my half mile gets plowed. Guess I will go and cry myself to sleep, nap time. LB
I'm surprised your neighbors don't help you out and plow your road. I've got a dozer blade on a front wheel assist and plowed our roads open alot last year. Some for my own and sometimes the county commissioner would ask me to. When a neighbor is stormed in or needs to get out or back home and call I go open it up for them. We got a new blade operator last winter that doesn't have much work ethic, pretty sure I plowed more roads in our area than he did.
If I was your neighbor and knew your wife was stormed in at fargo, I'd open your road for you.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess what pisses me off is like when WEST FARGO wants to up their sales tax to pay for a new something that I help pay for and will never see the inside of. Zip code should come into play for this crap and they=City of WF would not be so quick to approve if they had to pay for it all themself instead of me at Menards and Sam's doing more than my share. LB
Think of all that oil money that is raised in 10 counties west of the Missouri, the bulk of that cash flow is heading east, right into the valley...
Seems legit, Right? regardless of who they are raping it from, it isn't going back to the place it comes from.
I wonder how much of the Cass county tax pillage comes back west?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back when i was a kid a time or two the horses got us to town and no 4x4 but drove the vehicle across the open field until we found a way to the main road. Dad did get a snow blower hook to the front of the WD-9 that did a fair amount of work. We were on a bus route for us kids, so the plow came to get us to school. Once us kids were gone Dad got a decent snowblower and for the most part open up the road to the county road. At one time the old style farmhand did move a lot of snow. db

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think of all that oil money that is raised in 10 counties west of the Missouri, the bulk of that cash flow is heading east, right into the valley...
Seems legit, Right? regardless of who they are raping it from, it isn't going back to the place it comes from.
I wonder how much of the Cass county tax pillage comes back west?
Sorry… geez. 😩

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11