replace home a/c

toddy

Need to replace my home air conditioner but have no idea who to call. Anybody have a suggestion based on their own experience. Good or bad.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cost differential between one installer and another is probable inconsequential. I'd go with Bismarck Heating and Air if it were me.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I had great results with Comfort Zone. A lot of it will be who has the earliest availability

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be up front on what you're looking for: Cheapest price, best service, best warranty, better efficiency, etc. They run the gamut. I personally prefer a company that will be there if there are issues. Without good customer service, a new AC means nothing. Also ask if there's a cost advantage or necessity to swap out your furnace at the same time. With prices going up all the time, it pays to weigh that option if your furnace is the same age. Also, don't ask, but see if any company that comes over actually does a heat load calc on your home. Very few do, which leads to issues. The new ACs typically need bigger duct work and filtration. A company that is up front with that knows their stuff, vs. someone who comes in and spends 15 minutes quoting a like-for-like swap.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any suggestions on brands? Which ones are great and which ones to stay away from?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a mini-split in my garage last year, boy is that money well spent. The garage is cool and dry, cant hear it run, keeps the house cooler too, just a splendid result.

I have a refrigeration guy here in Dickinson, but don't know who to send you to in Bismarck. When buying this type of item, I have always felt spending a bit more is worth it.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any suggestions on brands? Which ones are great and which ones to stay away from?

Well, Daikin comes with 12 year parts and labor warranty. Pretty darn robust. Honestly all the bigger brands (Daikin, Goodman, Amana, Trane, Bryant) are only as good as how well they are installed. If they're installed as instructed Day 1 and maintained regularly afterward, you should experience a long lifespan.

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be up front on what you're looking for: Cheapest price, best service, best warranty, better efficiency, etc. They run the gamut. I personally prefer a company that will be there if there are issues. Without good customer service, a new AC means nothing. Also ask if there's a cost advantage or necessity to swap out your furnace at the same time. With prices going up all the time, it pays to weigh that option if your furnace is the same age. Also, don't ask, but see if any company that comes over actually does a heat load calc on your home. Very few do, which leads to issues. The new ACs typically need bigger duct work and filtration. A company that is up front with that knows their stuff, vs. someone who comes in and spends 15 minutes quoting a like-for-like swap.
This

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had a 2-1/2 ton replaced with a Daikin by Ed's Heating and Air in Bismarck. $6300 for new compressor and furnace coil. Works great. Damn glad I have it today.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure on the size and specs of the system in technical terms, but we are getting a new geothermal system sometime yet this year for the office. Guessing it's less than 6,000 sqft overall, but it is occupied 24/365 days a year. Rumor has it right near a million bucks.

I'm hoping the OP's costs are significantly under this.

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Advanced Mechanical or HA Thompson both carry quality products and I have used both my last system lasted 28 years and had to put in all new 2 years ago went with Carrier again never any problems just little maintenance goes along way. I learned from dad he owned business back in the day. Stay away from cheap no name stuff for sure

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
HA Thompson and Sons has done AC install for our old place in Hebron, sister's house in Hazen, and mom and dads place in Hazen. I'm having them install a propane heater in my shop later this summer. Highly, highly recommend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84