Sakakawea NWT

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was fishing in the bay, and way shallow last week, no piggies, but a nice bite through out the day, and we were not trying like we were looking to win a big pot.
I would think they would not have to head that far north/west to find 52* or higher water temp, and some scoria flats.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
well since we are now talking about wind... I guess I may as well say it... next week I am signing new papers on a new boat and getting rid of the ranger I went out on the warrior test ride event last sunday (the 7th) when the winds were gusting to 45 mph... that test ride proved to me that rangers are a good boat, just not designed for north dakota's light breeze... I am trading up to a Warrior 21-21 with a suzuki... I have never been in a boat that was that smooth
First of all, you told us that you had a 621 with a 350 on order like 2 years ago and now you are getting a Warrior? I'm glad that at least you rode in one before you talked trash about it. Maybe ride in the others as well. And what, exactly, is a mall boat?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't like the big 21 on the back but with the right colors it blends in, sort of and it doesn't bother me anymore.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the wife a new vehicle instead of myself a boat... I was still looking at the ranger and was going to do it this fall but I found this one and it seems to be a better option... I did look at others as well and I'm just not sold on several things with each... and a mall boat is a boat you find in every mall in America aka tracker

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just checking out a warrior 203/35o when I was fueling at the cove tonight. Why would one choose the 21/21 over the 203? The 203 has a deeper v and lower sides tha would make most fishing easier and should run smoother?? Both are massive boats - wow ! That 21/21 looks more like a salmon/downrigging style of setup. Just curious....

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't like the big 21 on the back but with the right colors it blends in, sort of and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Yeah, I've been playing with the color schemes

- - - Updated - - -

The more I look at them, the more I think I'm gonna get one. Probably the ZV18, though.

Nice boat, when we gonna go get it?

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rusty,
Whose warrior did you ride in? I have been out fishing with Brett King all week going into this and he is running a warrior 208. I don't think any pros are running the 21-21 anymore and that's for a reason. I would recommend the 208 based off the jump seats being in there so you never need extra seats in the boat but that's just me. I'd also run a Yamaha on that thing to ensure the reliability. There is my .02 Good luck in whatever you choose.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid bought a ZV-18 last summer. I'm a huge non-fan of tracker boats. But I have to say it's the best riding boat I've ever been in. At least in the 19' class and below. I can't imagine how well the 21 rides. And the storage is insane. The Warrior storage is nothing in comparison to the Nitro.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL well no shit when 90% of the tourney is running way west.

I was responding to your "contrary to what has been said" comment. I said most of the field would be running west and if the locals (one of which is in second) could have run west they would have. Jason has a 90 Yamaha on his boat. He was forced to stay East and he got 5 and only 5 bites yesterday. Another friend of mine east of Nishu got 6 and only 6 bites. Another friend around Garrison got 2 and only 2 bites. Their prefish was even worse most days.

It wasn't that it wasn't doable by a local I was implying the local advantage is greatly minimized by the boys running to easier fish.

Some are already taking the weights and saying fishing must be stellar up and down the lake. Its not. Its good to very good 110 miles away. Well, to one exception which is the McKenzie area. Where one of the locals mentioned is rumored to be and not east on his stomping grounds.

Anyway, be interesting to see if any boats are floating around on the big water today after underestimating effect of rougher water on mileage. I'm really curious how the east wind affects the bite west. I give it a 50/50 chance to sway either way. Most times would say would help the bite but it might cool down the real shallow water and make pitching and rigging difficult. Hope folks tell stories of how they had to adjust.

The ole west vs east wind phrase might claim some folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to be a rough ride out there today I bet. It was already windy at the crack of dawn here

Out on the west end? Yeah I was chuckling that they feel good running west now because the wind picks up west to east today. So leaving Garrison they get a sense of, this won't be too bad, wind won't get going until noon. But that nasty black hole by Beulah can make you go, wtf just happened! Ha.

- - - Updated - - -

All I know is the fish riding 110 plus miles in this rough water aren't going to feel very well.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was responding to your "contrary to what has been said" comment. I said most of the field would be running west and if the locals (one of which is in second) could have run west they would have. Jason has a 90 Yamaha on his boat. He was forced to stay East and he got 5 and only 5 bites yesterday. Another friend of mine east of Nishu got 6 and only 6 bites. Another friend around Garrison got 2 and only 2 bites. Their prefish was even worse most days.

It wasn't that it wasn't doable by a local I was implying the local advantage is greatly minimized by the boys running to easier fish.

Some are already taking the weights and saying fishing must be stellar up and down the lake. Its not. Its good to very good 110 miles away. Well, to one exception which is the McKenzie area. Where one of the locals mentioned is rumored to be and not east on his stomping grounds.

Anyway, be interesting to see if any boats are floating around on the big water today after underestimating effect of rougher water on mileage. I'm really curious how the east wind affects the bite west. I give it a 50/50 chance to sway either way. Most times would say would help the bite but it might cool down the real shallow water and make pitching and rigging difficult. Hope folks tell stories of how they had to adjust.

The ole west vs east wind phrase might claim some folks.

A couple 20 lbs bags is great (for this time of the year especially) but I'd hate to have to run to a different end of the lake to find fish. This is exactly what was talked about when we all found out about this event taking place this early in the year. Being consistent on Sak is tough, regardless of the time of year.

50/50 chance? You some kind of weatherman, Sandstrom?

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know what the pound and two pound penalties are for?

Dead fish I have to assume.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple 20 lbs bags is great (for this time of the year especially) but I'd hate to have to run to a different end of the lake to find fish. This is exactly what was talked about when we all found out about this event taking place this early in the year. Being consistent on Sak is tough, regardless of the time of year.

50/50 chance? You some kind of weatherman, Sandstrom?

Ha. No. I want to say I think weights will be lower. Cooling water from east wind and making any pitching and rigging bites a bit more tricky with boat control. But I know on Saturday prefish the bigger winds lite some prefishing up for people. And traditionally, day two bags are smaller. I guess I don't have the guts to stick to a prediction.

I do know it will take one hell of a bag to get to 50 plus pounds to win the tourney. Still sticking to 36 pounds. Take the top two or so weight outs and then double the third or fourth weight. But definitely possible to see someone smoke two twenty pound bags. I'm comfortable saying it isn't likely. Give it a 75/25. Ha.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33