Small Propane Tank

Fitz

Established Member
Where can you find a small propane tank (around 5 pounds) that won't cost more than it should? Everything that I see online from the "box stores" have them priced for at least $45 empty.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Menards when running the 11% off everything is the cheapest you'll find them. But yes you'll still pay more for the little guys than the super common 20#

I run an 11#, and prefer tall and skinny over short and fat :)

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been running a 5lb tank for at least 5 years now. Refilling isn’t an issue as I have a place that does it just down the road. You will recover your investment cost in no time when you compare bulk price to the 1 lb bottle price. You can refill the little 1 lb cans, but I have no desire to get into that. I refill mine every 3-4 outings. Running out of propane sucks. Depending on size and weight requirements you looking to achieve, you might look into an 11 lb tank. The empty weight of a 5 VS 11 pound tank are very close. I fish a lot, and most of my outings are only partial days. It gets annoying at times because it seams like I’m constantly refilling the 5lb. I have an 11lb as well. Those come in 2 styles........tall and skinny or short and fat. The tall and skinny will fit in a 5 gallon bucket. They are very tippy. The short and fat one fits in a milk crate and is much more stable.

These are my experiences with less than 20lb propane tanks. Good luck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both the fatty and the tall 11s... the skinny is better if you have a way to support/transport.

The fatty is a horrible space hog - and the handle/knob seem to reach out and screw other stuff up. Wish they made tanks that didn't have sharp metal edges all over the place.

s-l640.jpg

wait... whaaaaaaat???

- - - Updated - - -

11-lb Propane Tank made of fiberglass composite materials. 50% lighter than steel propane cylinders, but just as durable. These tanks stack easily, are corrosion free, and are encased in a plastic housing with handle for easy transportation. Outer walls of tank are translucent so you can see exactly how much propane is left. The wide stable base helps this tank to not tip over.

- - - Updated - - -

the $129 price is actually somewhat tempting

- - - Updated - - -

probably a brittle plastic that cracks at 0F ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

made in Norway - so probably good in the cold

Fitz

Established Member
I’ve been running a 5lb tank for at least 5 years now. Refilling isn’t an issue as I have a place that does it just down the road. You will recover your investment cost in no time when you compare bulk price to the 1 lb bottle price. You can refill the little 1 lb cans, but I have no desire to get into that. I refill mine every 3-4 outings. Running out of propane sucks. Depending on size and weight requirements you looking to achieve, you might look into an 11 lb tank. The empty weight of a 5 VS 11 pound tank are very close. I fish a lot, and most of my outings are only partial days. It gets annoying at times because it seams like I’m constantly refilling the 5lb. I have an 11lb as well. Those come in 2 styles........tall and skinny or short and fat. The tall and skinny will fit in a 5 gallon bucket. They are very tippy. The short and fat one fits in a milk crate and is much more stable.

These are my experiences with less than 20lb propane tanks. Good luck.

Where did you find the short/fat 11lb? The only ones I can see online are the tall version.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ace Hardware online had fatties, along with others, show up when I searched “11 lb propane tank”

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way cheaper to get a Snobear;-). The 30lber hangs on the back and the vented furnace is on a thermostat.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way cheaper to get a Snobear;-). The 30lber hangs on the back and the vented furnace is on a thermostat.

yeah, feel free to buy one for every member on NDA one Mr. money bags Magee

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you find the short/fat 11lb? The only ones I can see online are the tall version.

I believe I got mine at ace hardware. I might have ordered it into the store. I honestly can’t remember though.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like 20 lb tanks so you don’t run out if a blizzard hits.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
buddy found a 5lber at a moving sale for $5. I was with him at the time and he scooped it up before i had a chance! Damn him
I have a big buddy heater though.. If any of my buds come along in the portable and i already have bait or whatever, i just let them know to pick up a 2 pak or 4 pack of 1lbers. Seems like a fair deal.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had an issue with my 20, but I also have a ranger, and 2 sleds, so room is never an issue.

I have once run out in the olden days burning the little tanks. Turned into a cold shitty fishing day

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had one of these fiberglass 10lb tanks for a few years now. Works great in the portable with a Buddy heater. Very light and a little smaller in diameter than 20lb tank. Believe the company that made these tanks went out of business so they aren't available anymore.

tank.jpg

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Runnings in Moorhead has the 5 lb tanks for 50.00

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both the fatty and the tall 11s... the skinny is better if you have a way to support/transport.

The fatty is a horrible space hog - and the handle/knob seem to reach out and screw other stuff up. Wish they made tanks that didn't have sharp metal edges all over the place.
This made me Laugh guy,so true ....screwing shit up.

This made me smile knowing others have shit that scews other stuff up,its like on purpose sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had one of these fiberglass 10lb tanks for a few years now. Works great in the portable with a Buddy heater. Very light and a little smaller in diameter than 20lb tank. Believe the company that made these tanks went out of business so they aren't available anymore.

FB_IMG_1680648462955.jpg

Is that like see through to check the level?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84