smoking

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
What recipes do you guys have for some good smoked food?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you looking to smoke? What kind of smoker do you use. I have quite a few dry rubs I'm willing to share

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red meat gets tatonka dust. Ribs don't get anything till after smoking and fish get a brine for 2 days before going in.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my dry rubs start with a cup of brown sugar. Then add ts cayenne pepper, 1 ts coarse ground black pepper. Kosher salt, paprika, celery salt, garlic powder all find their way in too.
Tatonka dust is a very good stand alone seasoning and adds a nice flavor to a dry rub as well

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you looking to smoke? What kind of smoker do you use. I have quite a few dry rubs I'm willing to share
I am looking to smoke anything . i have an electric smoker just looking for some different recipes out there

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made jam; lots and lots of jam and we sold sold them at farmers markets and foodie stores and shows. One flavor was bourbon peach habanero jam. The jam was made using local fresh peaches and habs.... hard to do here but here is a work around and it is great on chicken, esp wings.

2lbs wings
fav bbq rub- several tablespoonfuls at least
2 T olive oil
Peach jam, 8-12 ozs
1-2 habaneros
bourbon

Drain wings and/or pat dry with paper towels. Place in large bowl or zip loc bags and add oil and coat wings with rub. Let wings sit in fridge for at least a few hours- best overnight. Smoke the wings for a couple hours at about 200-225 then bring the temps up to 300 or so (or direct grill) them to crisp up the skin and baste with the jam the last few minutes to glaze wings.

while the wings are smoking, stem and seed the habaneros and mince. Melt the jam in the microwave or heavy skillet on stove top and bring to a boil. You may need to add some apple juice, cider, beer, oj (whatever you like is what I am getting at, lol) to keep it brushable. Add 1/3 of the minced habaneros and 2 tablespoons of bourbon to the melted jam and stir to combine and return to boil then simmmer for a 2-4 minutes. Add more habs and bourbon to taste.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pork butts are a great start. They are very forgiving for a novice smoker. Keep temps low and take your time. It is a very rewarding hobby. Do you know if you are a dry rub guy or do you prefer sauce

wildfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smoked pork loin last night. Brined for 24 hours before smoking with tenderquik, brown sugar and apple cider.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red meat gets tatonka dust.

Tatonka dust is a very good stand alone seasoning and adds a nice flavor to a dry rub as well

Thanks, my wife and I enjoy hearing people compliment the seasoning! One suggestion I may add when using Tatonka Dust on large pieces of meat like brisket or pork butt that will be smoked low 'n slow is to mix Tatonka Dust 50/50 with turbinado sugar as it has a higher melting point temp wise than brown sugar and improves the bark on the finished product.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, my wife and I enjoy hearing people compliment the seasoning! One suggestion I may add when using Tatonka Dust on large pieces of meat like brisket or pork butt that will be smoked low 'n slow is to mix Tatonka Dust 50/50 with turbinado sugar as it has a higher melting point temp wise than brown sugar and improves the bark on the finished product.

Where can a guy get this sugar u speak of? Never heard of it before.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member

My house is never without tatonka dust. I start to go into panic when I an down to 1 bottle.
To anyone out there that lives under a rock and has not yet tryed tatonka dust. I strongly recommend you hunt some down. It is very good on almost anything

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
My house is never without tatonka dust. I start to go into panic when I an down to 1 bottle.
To anyone out there that lives under a rock and has not yet tryed tatonka dust. I strongly recommend you hunt some down. It is very good on almost anything
do you know who sells it in bismarck

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chicken thighs are great for experimenting with different stuff. They're cheap and impossible to mess up. Go nuts!

Not to hijack a thread, but I need to cold smoke some cheese. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker and smoke with charcoal and wood. Any suggestions for smoking cheese?

DarkWhiskey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried smoking cheese with success last spring. We set it on the top rack for about an hr at 100 degrees, the smoke flavor was awesome after a week in the fridge.

What's a great recipe for brisket? Time? Temp?

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where can a guy get this sugar u speak of? Never heard of it before.

Just about any grocery store or Walmart should carry it, as earlier answer it is also reffered to as sugar int e raw and should be found in the area of the white sugar, powered sugar and brown sugar.

Chicken thighs are great for experimenting with different stuff. They're cheap and impossible to mess up. Go nuts!

Not to hijack a thread, but I need to cold smoke some cheese. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker and smoke with charcoal and wood. Any suggestions for smoking cheese?

You can easily cold smoke cheese, nuts or what ever you would like in your WSM with a smoke generator - www.owensbbq.com/smokers-and-pellets.html

Tried smoking cheese with success last spring. We set it on the top rack for about an hr at 100 degrees, the smoke flavor was awesome after a week in the fridge.

Here is our packer brisket method. Everyone has their own method, we don't claim this to be the best method or only way to do it!

- Trim fat cap to a 1/4" or a little less.

- Always slice the brisket flat across the grain of the meat; with that said, before you rub the brisket down with seasoning mark the direction of the grain. A few methods we have found for doing this is to take pictures to refer back to, or mark the grains direction with toothpicks or by making light slices in the surface of the meat.

- Season with rub of choice, if you have planned ahead our preference is seasoning the day before, wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerating overnight.

- If smoke ring is important for your brisket cook, cherry wood seems to be one of the better choices for giving the most prominent smoke ring.

- Have cook chamber temp 235º to 250º and put brisket directly on cooking grate, cooking indirect fat side up (fat side up or down is controversial...).

- Monitor internal meat temp after a few hours and when it reaches 160º to 170º we separate the flat from the point. Double foil wrap the flat with a little liquid of choice and place back in the cook chamber. For the point we will cut up the point into thumb sized chunks for burnt ends placing these in a disposable aluminum pan, add more seasoning of choice and cover with foil. About a 1/2 hour before serving time we will add a BBQ sauce of choice, a little brown sugar to taste and maybe a little more seasoning. This is all personal preference in amounts and what your taste buds are telling you by sneaking a sample or two while mixing!

- When the flat is about reaching 190º we start checking internal meat temp in different locations, when the probe is starting to feel like it is sliding into "butter" in all areas of the brisket flat we will pull it from the smoker. This generally happens around 200º, could be higher or lower... We use to go just by temp and found the "probe slide feel" to be more accurate for us.

- At this point we will wrap the double foil wrapped brisket flat in towel and place in a cooler for at least an hour to rest. Can easily rest as long as 4 hours and it will still be steaming hot.

- Time to slice the brisket flat and serve!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

I cold smoked a few kinds of cheese a few months ago. Used Owensbbq smoke tube for an hour and a half. It took about 3 weeks for the smoke to mellow. Turned out great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74