So...I got a dog

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did u get her in Bismark? I'm going to be picking mine up around Christmas also. Just wondering if it's out of the same litter?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Serious? I bought a cap gun I would always shoot during fetch with a bumper. I wasted my time? Dogs either are or aren't? (just curious - I have no expertise)

I think the cap gun when playing fetch is a good thing in making a loud noise part of a fun activity. I did it with my English Cocker pup and would do it again with the next one.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the cap gun when playing fetch is a good thing in making a loud noise part of a fun activity. I did it with my English Cocker pup and would do it again with the next one.
a guy gets too much time into training a pup not to associate loud noise with fun. we start right away when feeding just making light noise at first at 7 weeks getting louder as the pup gets older to 22 bird shot while training with dummy's and wing clipped pigeons. I have had to deal with dogs that were loud noise shy and it can take up to a year to break them of it if it can be done at all. I have seen several dogs that were ruined by taking them to the rifle range when they were pups.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy, i've seen plenty of videos that help you work with gun shyness but I honestly don't know the truth behind the behavior. We've just been lucky I guess.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO a hunting dog is best served living in its out door kennel. I have had 6 or so labs, a golden, a couple little shit house dogs(young and dumb, ex-wife was sadly in charge), and now a GSP. They come into the house on rare occasions, such as a night watching tv and the fire place going. Maybe happens a dozen times a year. My dogs are my family, however they are working outdoor dogs. I give them around an hour of exercise every single day, they hunt all season long(every weekend), they come to the lake with me and play like school girls all weekend long, but in the end they are a tool that I don't want rooting around my house, making a mess, or begging for my snacks.

I have a heated pad like lunker posted in my homemade dog house, the house is 2x4 construction with R17 insulation in the walls, it is 3' X 3' with a six inch double insulated floor. The roof has hinges so I can clean it out when needed. Next to the dog house is a heated dog bowl for his water. If it is miserably cold out he will spend the night in his dog cage in the heated garage.

My GSP was timid his first few times out in the field, the gun shots caught him of guard, he walked right next to me. I thought I ruined him. After a few more walks through the weekend he came around, but went into this routing for a few weekends. I spent a ton of time with just him and I so he would not get distracted with a bunch of shenanigans. He is only 2 years old now but hunts like a damn champion. Best dog I have ever owned, listens real well, points, retrieves, and loads himself into the back of the pickup with a simple "load up" command and will stay in the box until I tell him to get back out.

The gun shyness is a concern, look into it before you create a problem. Nothing is worse than getting a hunting dog that wont hunt. It would be like getting a boat that doesn't float.

Good luck, keep your dog inside or out, that is a personal decision. I was brought up with dogs, none of which spent much time at all in the house.

PS if he is a barker, put one of them shocking bark collars on him. I did this with a few dogs, they quickly learn to not bark. I hate a barking freeking dog.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the words of advice, juan. I'm torn on the in the house/in the garage housing of dogs. I don't mind either way what people do. I feel like a viking that signed with the packers though. Always had GSP's and still love that breed, but we know the owners of these pups and the blood line of the sire.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right on dude !! I bet a 30 pack of blue yummies she will be in the house as your 4 legged baby. Sniffing paint fumes alongside daddy :;:thumbsup

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys with GSP's how are they for shedding? I've never had one but am considering getting one and it may be a 50/50 in/out dog. I've read some about them and keep getting conflicting results.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20151119_113620.jpg

Half lab and half visla helping schuck corn this summer. This dog will attempt to fit as many toys,cobbs,etc. In its trap at one time as it can. Then proceed to run around and growl as to say " look what I have". Quite the character.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20130515_214109_521.jpg

I am on my second V. They are great dogs. My neighbors also has only had V's. They only thing to be aware of right off the bat is the high energy for a long long time. My current guy is 4 yrs old and just getting out of the pup phase.

Have only seen 1 that was not a hunter. All others have been very energetic in the field and eager to please. You CAN NOT be too harsh on them. They are a sensitive dog. Another nickname is the Velcro dog. You will find that they always have to be touching you. Even when you get them heal trained, they will have a tenancy to have a paw on you shoe. They are lovers. Expect them to climb on your lap and snuggle right into your chest.

I will vouch for NAVHDA. Spent many hours with them. I would recommend in the first year getting your new family out in the field with the NAVHDA guys. Went through the Natural Ability test.. You will learn more about your dog going through that if you haven't had a hunting dog before.

Other items are, they have a thin coat. I won't hunt my V in temps below 15 deg. They are willing, but they just don't have the thick skin for it.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
DSC01029.jpg my wife was the same way Mike but that will change . Have fun with the training just stay consistant with how you train.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah you guyz! I just can't wrap my head around asking my wife for anything let alone a hunting dog!! Oh yeah,I'm not married...lol,seems viz are super hyper but then most pointers are,don't be the guy that takes his young pup out and shoots a 12ga next to it at a few months old.

Guywithgoofylookin birddog...You and Si Robertson must come from the same seed.That dog can sure retrieve tho.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody else confused by this? Yoby, is it sarcasm - or not? :;:huh

dang American sense of humor - nobody knows if anyone is serious or not

i took it as you cant be harsh they are sensitive which is what i have seen the few i have been around a good ass chewing and they are at your feet for the day.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah you guyz! I just can't wrap my arms around asking my wife for anything let alone a hunting dog!! Oh yeah,I'm not married...lol,seems viz are super hyper but then most pointers are,don't be the guy that takes his young pup out and shoots a 12ga next to it at a few months old.

Guywithgoofylookin birddog...You and Si Robertson must come from the same seed.That dog can sure retrieve tho.

Oh,my retriever has run of the house with no issues,he even thinks my bed is his unless I have a house guest...:cool:

Last edited:

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody else confused by this? Yoby, is it sarcasm - or not? :;:huh

dang American sense of humor - nobody knows if anyone is serious or not

Should read Don't be harsh on them. They be sensitive

I also agree with the cap gun/22. I used a 22 pistol ( little loader than the rifle) and chuck the dummy. Just about half way to the dummy I would pop one into the ground. After about 6 shots he no longer looked back to see what the noise was.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the words of advice, juan. I'm torn on the in the house/in the garage housing of dogs. I don't mind either way what people do. I feel like a viking that signed with the packers though. Always had GSP's and still love that breed, but we know the owners of these pups and the blood line of the sire.

First pointer I have ever owned, he is very active, without a good running everyday he goes nuts. I camp with a guy that has a Vis, he is old and not very active, but extremely well behaved. Keep him in the house if the wife will let you, my rant was just one of personal preference, but remember when a puppy is a puppy everything you own is a chew toy, every corner of your house is his bathroom, and puppies seem to prefer the expensive woman shoes...
#sonsabitchingpuppiescostmehundredsinreplacementhighheels

- - - Updated - - -

Right on dude !! I bet a 30 pack of blue yummies she will be in the house as your 4 legged baby. Sniffing paint fumes alongside daddy :;:thumbsup

Huff, do I know you? a ton of my buddies call the ice cold Busch Light blue yummies. Excellent to hear from a fellow connoisseur

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am of the school that loud noises need to be a gradual thing. Seems to me starting out pup with a loud gun or rifle shot isn't the best way to start pup off. Maybe a toned down whistle chirp....lawnmower running in the neighbors yard, slowly but surely graduating him or her to different sounds and decibels until you can determine they are ready for the gun shot sound. I knew of person who paid a nice sum for a pup only to find out she was gun shy and never did recover from shot gun noises..turned out to be a darn expensive house dog. As far as whether to keep in the house or outside.....to me and my 2nd(and final) wife..our dogs are our pets and live inside with us. I totally get the keeping them outside angle....it is just our preference to have them inside with us. My kids are grown and gone so we have them inside with us. My current wife who I have been with 11 yrs didn't have any children of her own and thus...these hunting critters of ours are her kids. There are far far far bigger issues in this world for me to worry about than for me to worry about if a dog is on the couch. Not worth the hassle. They are trained mind you...but it isn't the end of the world if they come inside with wet paws. Damn..have I changed as the years have gone by!!!! hahaha..at any rate..to each his own for his own reasons. Enjoy the ride with your new addition!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Royce takes ass-chewings to heart too. We try hard to use a positive reinforcement approach with lots of praise and encouragement. On the negative reinforcement side we take a more passive approach.

Example:
IF he ever "takes off" with the ball or tries to make us run after him for the bumber, with gloves (he LOVES to rip gloves off) the game is instantly over, into the house we go, and he gets the cold shoulder for about an hour. As a result his playing "keep away" from us with anything doesn't even cross his mind cuz it has always been a bummer and has gotten him shunned by the pack.

Example: We call him in to the house and he comes running for the door? Well then he gets a hearty GOOD BOY and petting! We call him and he doesn't? We keep calling and when he finally does show up again it's the silent treatment, glare, cold shoulder, maybe even a low unhappy "what was that Royce?". That way when we call he wants to get home soon cuz it'll be happy times - he doesn't want cold shoulder shunning treatment. But he's never "afraid" to come home cuz he's worried he'll get whacked or screamed at.

In thinking about it I guess we use the Hutterite society's peer pressure dog training approach. Ha ha.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19