So...I got a dog

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a pretty nice way to get them to do what you want, guy. My parents shorthair does whatever the hell pleases her. Reinforcement, whether positive or negative, doesn't work on her. It's unreal. Overall, she's a pretty good dog and most of her misfortunes can be chalked up to being left alone all day or not exercised enough. something that scares me a bit with the new addition. I have no qualms about running home every lunch hour for a while.

Overall, what are your guys' first training topics. I only ask since its going to be balls cold for the first 5 months of the pups life.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an indoor/outdoor kennel at my house. I put a dog door in the side of the garage. Inside the garage I built a wooden workbench and then wrapped it with a heavier guage wire (nice dual purpose dog "house"/workbench). Placed the workbench on top of a piece of very flat carpet purchased at MAC's and put that on top of 3 layers of carpet padding. Keeps my lab off the cold concrete. Eventually threw a few blankets in there once he got out of the destruction phase. Outside the garage I have a 5x5x6 kennel with the wire panels. Placed that around pavers. That way he can go in and out freely. My garage is also heated (keep it about 35 to 40 in the winter). I have a chocolate lab so not as concerned about the cold as a Viz.

As for gunshot noise, I too worked on it from the puppy phase. I started by clapping when he was eating or playing fetch. I then graduated to slapping two pieces of wood together when he was eating (lightly). Eventually got louder and louder. Did the same when playing fetch in the yard. I never used a cap gun as slapping two 2x4's together pretty loudly was just as effective. Over time he could've cared less about any loud sound. Never has been gun shy at all. The other thing to make sure is don't let the wife coddle the pup if there's thunder or loud noises. That can also ruin a dog.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I;m no dog whisperer that's for sure. My approach probably works only for easy to train dogs... ha ha. I maybe got lucky and it worked for Royce. But I bet with a head strong driven hunting machine from hell dog I'd have eventually lost it, bought a shock collar, and screwed him up good. :(

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
my black one was a little more hard headed he need to be tuned up with the collar a few times and now the tone on it and he is back in line. The yellow one is soft and he wants to do nothing wrong so he has been easy when hunting at home in the kennel he is kind of the shits. While at home the black one i can leave in the house never chewed any thing up as a pup and pretty dang calm for lab standards. It is interesting how ever pooch has there own personality and how you have to adapt teaching each on differently.

keep in mind i am just a guy who likes hunting with my dogs and likes dogs in general and not a professional trainer

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I;m no dog whisperer that's for sure. My approach probably works only for easy to train dogs... ha ha. I maybe got lucky and it worked for Royce. But I bet with a head strong driven hunting machine from hell dog I'd have eventually lost it, bought a shock collar, and screwed him up good. :(

Liberal

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys with GSP's how are they for shedding? I've never had one but am considering getting one and it may be a 50/50 in/out dog. I've read some about them and keep getting conflicting results.
My GSP doesn't shed that much. Far less then a lab. My dogs are house/family dogs. My GSP is laying next to me on the couch right now and will be going full steam in field after roosters tomorrow. To each there own but I personally believe a hunting dogs place is in the home with the family.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Overall, what are your guys' first training topics. I only ask since its going to be balls cold for the first 5 months of the pups life.

Start your training in a hallway of the house so the little SOB can't get away and you can increase/decrease the size of the training area by blocking off more/less of the hallway.

If you can get "No" and "Come" ingrained well, everything else is gravy.

By the way, what is with this "My wife let me/allowed me to" BS?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start your training in a hallway of the house so the little SOB can't get away and you can increase/decrease the size of the training area by blocking off more/less of the hallway.

If you can get "No" and "Come" ingrained well, everything else is gravy.

By the way, what is with this "My wife let me/allowed me to" BS?

I've threatened to buy a dog before and it was met with the promise of divorce papers.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've threatened to buy a dog before and it was met with the promise of divorce papers.

When I wanted a dog, I went a got a dog. There really wasn't a discussion or mulling of factors, I came home one day with a dog and said, "Honey, meet Buddy, he's our new dog."

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I wanted a dog, I went a got a dog. There really wasn't a discussion or mulling of factors, I came home one day with a dog and said, "Honey, meet Buddy, he's our new dog."

Yeah, that wouldn't happen. Not on this subject anyway. She won't go in peoples houses that have pets even. It's getting better but it was pretty bad for awhile.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr and johnr make household decisions jointly, she has to clean up after it, and handle the trips to the vet, also pickup the food, etc. So it's only fair she gets 49% decision making rights....haha

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys with GSP's how are they for shedding? I've never had one but am considering getting one and it may be a 50/50 in/out dog. I've read some about them and keep getting conflicting results.

GSPs shed horrible the little hairs stick to everything and don't vacuum up.

- - - Updated - - -

My GSP has full run of the house at all times. The little B will even crawl into bed and sleep at the foot after the wife and I are asleep. Most of the times when the kids go to bed so does she sleeping on one of there beds.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
GSPs shed horrible the little hairs stick to everything and don't vacuum up.

- - - Updated - - -

My GSP has full run of the house at all times. The little B will even crawl into bed and sleep at the foot after the wife and I are asleep. Most of the times when the kids go to bed so does she sleeping on one of there beds.

Yep, short little hairs that poke the shit out of you and will NOT vacuum out. Which is why GSP wasn't an option.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, short little hairs that pole the shit out of you and will NOT vacuum out. Which is why GSP wasn't an option.

And you think the V is somehow going to be magically different? Visla's just a silver GSP.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the wife doesn't know won't hurt her. Until she is cleaning hair off herself.

- - - Updated - - -

And you're thinking Weimaraner.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife brought up the idea of getting a V. She said she didn't want another GSP they were to hyper and clingy. I'm not going to say a word about them being the same animal.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the wife doesn't know won't hurt her. Until she is cleaning hair off herself.

- - - Updated - - -

And you're thinking Weimaraner.

Silver GSP, Red GSP, they're all the same.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a Vizsla, have spent some time around a few, but as far as I'm aware they are virtually the same dog as a GSP, just different color. Same body type, coat, personality, etc. High strung, so she'll need a walk AT LEAST once a day. Lots of fetch in the backyard. Put her to bed tired. She will certainly be a challenge, but if you do it right and spend the necessary time with her you'll have a best friend for all of her too short life and the best hunting partner a guy could ask for. I'll have a vizsla of my own some day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14