Sporting Clays

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot on Wecnesday. First time in about 8 years. Tried a different shotgun. Benelli Moniflero 20 ga 26 inch barrel. Modified choke. I did better than I expected. Used 8 shot Remington target loads. I plan to try Light Modified choke next week.

Do we have any serious Sporting Clays Shooters here?

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I shot on Wecnesday. First time in about 8 years. Tried a different shotgun. Benelli Moniflero 20 ga 26 inch barrel. Modified choke. I did better than I expected. Used 8 shot Remington target loads. I plan to try Light Modified choke next week.

After 20+ years shooting, trap (registered shoots) traveled several states to shoot on national level the cost factor put the kibosh on trap shooting ammo cost went from$28,$30 a flat (10 boxes) to $100+ per... that 10000/12000 practice rds all 3 events then another several 1000 rds registered said f it 5 stand,sporting clay clubs much fun,not so serious like trap,ammo factory loadd still spendy but no need to run 10000rds in practice to keep your head in the game.

One choke for running a 5 std course or walking a sporting clays course imp/mod is a good option for one all around choke youll get a 50+ yd targets you'll be glad to have a tighter choke restriction,while shooters shooting brech scatter guns with barrel select will have two different chokes ready to rock n roll and still change chokes as you shoot different stations,

3dr 1oz 's great load 1350 fps is plenty of hp.MPO only,great fun_sport.

Attachments

20230424_115916.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have shot a few rounds of sporting clays but probably not in the past 20 years. Lack of availability is the primary reason. Can't actually recall where ranges are available.. If there are any available in northern ND I have never heard of them.

Even more so, is it possible to have a course that will at least break even for operating costs? Last one I shot at was in the Grand Forks area.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot league for couple yrs. That was probably 30 yrs ago. Was a good time. As said, a bit spendy nowadays.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started a trap league early 2000,first night shoot drove in to range parking lot,lot was full of shooters off work etc,tailgates down,grills grilling,guyz finished their rds cracking beers, not one person hurt or shot,league nights were great fun

Said to myself,"self this is my sport" pulling the trigger is always fun ( or releasing the trigger)

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Com on zog " lite mod? All you'll get is Chinese hits "chips and chunks" go "full choke" pillow case those targets like a ink ball.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
After 20+ years shooting, trap (registered shoots) traveled several states to shoot on national level the cost factor put the kibosh on trap shooting ammo cost went from$28,$30 a flat (10 boxes) to $100+ per... that 10000/12000 practice rds all 3 events then another several 1000 rds registered said f it 5 stand,sporting clay clubs much fun,not so serious like trap,ammo factory loadd still spendy but no need to run 10000rds in practice to keep your head in the game.

One choke for running a 5 std course or walking a sporting clays course imp/mod is a good option for one all around choke youll get a 50+ yd targets you'll be glad to have a tighter choke restriction,while shooters shooting brech scatter guns with barrel select will have two different chokes ready to rock n roll and still change chokes as you shoot different stations,

3dr 1oz 's great load 1350 fps is plenty of hp.MPO only,great fun_sport.
you would shoot 10000 practice rounds? (400 practices @ 25 shells each) Is that over a lifetime? Ive shot trap, i know you can easily shoot 800 rounds over an event plus maybe 100 rounds in practice, (4 practices) for 900-1000 rounds in a week. but holy crap my math aint mathin.....lol

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you would shoot 10000 practice rounds? (400 practices @ 25 shells each) Is that over a lifetime? Ive shot trap, i know you can easily shoot 800 rounds over an event plus maybe 100 rounds in practice, (4 practices) for 900-1000 rounds in a week. but holy crap my math aint mathin.....lol
400 divided by 20 years is 20 practice rounds a year thats not really that many

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always shoot the sporting clay shoot put on by the lignite energy council. That is a good fun shoot and the guys putting it together do a great job. I like shooting trap and sporting clays when it isn't serious. I shot trap league for a lot of years and seen way to many people complain and fight with the scorer about a chip that no one else seen or shooters that took it way to seriously. If i can't shoot with a squad of friends i didn't enjoy it. Now i just sit at my house and shoot with friends when we want, how we want with automatic thrower with wobble plate and remote.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No "experienced" by any stretch, but, when I shot league in Forks 25yrs ago, I shot the course w/IC for most and pulled the choke completely and shot bare threads for those fuggin' rabbits.

We have 5-stand in Fargo and I shoot that w/Skt choke.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot sporting clays league for 10+ years now in GF. The last few years I have been using modified and improved modified chokes in my Browning 725 Sporting and noticed my scores improve slightly. One of my favorite parts of summer.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You all may do better with cylinder bore: IDK--never shot a round/don't know ranges. I do know Queen 16 will never die:

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here 30 years ago shoot alot of trap traveled to few places. Now just do some here and there in Bismarck not hard to jump in with guys all good people. I agree sold reloader and got out to too damn expensive. I believe it cost me about dollar to two dollars to reload.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes 1000's of practice rds to keep competitive nationally ,my local club open 7 days/week,i shot all 3 events with "doubles" the most challenging to shoot 100 straight both in practice and registerd shoots ,never reloaded as money shoots reloads were not permitted, everyone had to have equal loads no hot loads over 1300fps.

Big registered shoots my ammo choice was federal gold metal paper 23/4 dr 8's love the results and the smell of hot paper empty hulls ejected still smoking hot.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes 1000's of practice rds to keep competitive nationally ,my local club open 7 days/week,i shot all 3 events with "doubles" the most challenging to shoot 100 straight both in practice and registerd shoots ,never reloaded as money shoots reloads were not permitted, everyone had to have equal loads no hot loads over 1300fps.

Big registered shoots my ammo choice was federal gold metal paper 23/4 dr 8's love the results and the smell of hot paper empty hulls ejected still smoking hot.
I know a local guide/friend who shoots a lot....a lot..went to Bismarck a few weeks ago......shot like 6-700 shots daily. Went to some Nashville shoot last week.... was shooting 98 out of 100..doubles,,,said there were like 20 shooters who were 100 out of a 100.. wow.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know a local guide/friend who shoots a lot....a lot..went to Bismarck a few weeks ago......shot like 6-700 shots daily. Went to some Nashville shoot last week.... was shooting 98 out of 100..doubles,,,said there were like 20 shooters who were 100 out of a 100.. wow.
Yeah i squaded with a mn all american at a state shoot mn doubles champion Eric Munson who won the state resident doubles with a 400x400 amazing, his mom and dad both all American trap shooters infact his dad Bob Munson indicted into hall of fame mid 2000 with 200k registerd targets and a 99% average.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For field hunting,sporting clays/5 stand is very beneficial, trap not so much except for the few straight away flushes one might get on occasion, sporting clays with hard angles@50mph,over head shots,great fun and practice.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never shot sporting clays a lot but I did notice when I shot a lot of trap, I was a more consistent shooter in the field on birds. I don't know if it was just the practice of shouldering the gun and making sure I kept my head down or just sharpening the hand eye coordination with a shotgun. I would guess its like any firearm, the more you practice the better you are even if it's just at standard targets. I purchased a couple new 22's this year just for cheaper plinking ammo and a reason to shoot more hoping it will help with other pistol and rifle shooting.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did shoot my second round at 4 today before the rain came. Much improved over 2 weeks ago. I did shoot league about 8 years ago. Forgot how much fun it really is. Might have to shoot a couple more times this year and a lot more next year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 64
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24