Sporting Clays

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did shoot my second round at 4 today before the rain came. Much improved over 2 weeks ago. I did shoot league about 8 years ago. Forgot how much fun it really is. Might have to shoot a couple more times this year and a lot more next year.
Agreed zog,pulling the trigger for boom boom,great fun,the smell of burnt gun powder fills the air,hard to believe summer is winding down,we had snow above treeline last week before I left Breckenridge, being retired is a busy occupation, ill spend hours at our gun range mid week,just a boy and his shotgun,we have a duck tower 75' high,5 shooting stations to practice hard shots like going away overhead shots standing underneath elevaded trap house,targets speed out @ 50mph,then two side stations for fast pass shooting shots another two stations with targets coming at you,often midweek well set the trap for elevaded doubles,you learn to aquire targets fast.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PS one shoots so many rds once a year i send my 3 barrel combo to new york to have the block rebuilt,once yhe top lever no longer stays at a right angle its tim for a tune up,litte Italian gun smith came over to the states many years ago with ithica shotguns then a new company called "perazzi" came along offering a high end target shotgun this shotgun is not found on retail gun shops gun racks,angelow artelli (Italian gun smith) stayed in new york when perazzi usa moved to California.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way back in day ole boys shows us Ljutic shotguns vs Browning higher end so with oil field money made had to have one very nice guns. Sold it when got out of shooting few years back. Still have Browning combo package blow dust out of barrels few times when I can, to many surgery's not good.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Third time out. Still in the low thirty's.

Snow you give lessons? I do get to your corner of the world a couple of times a year?

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Third time out. Still in the low thirty's.

Snow you give lessons? I do get to your corner of the world a couple of times a year?
Lol,ill be in the white bear lake area until mid october,let me know when,im in,google prior lake "horse and hunt" club best sporting clays "fica courses" in the midwest,nice lodge,good food great way to spend a few hours or the day.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol,ill be in the white bear lake area until mid october,let me know when,im in,google prior lake "horse and hunt" club best sporting clays "fica courses" in the midwest,nice lodge,good food great way to spend a few hours or the day.
Do I need a Tie and Jacket?

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I never shot sporting clays a lot but I did notice when I shot a lot of trap, I was a more consistent shooter in the field on birds. I don't know if it was just the practice of shouldering the gun and making sure I kept my head down or just sharpening the hand eye coordination with a shotgun. I would guess its like any firearm, the more you practice the better you are even if it's just at standard targets. I purchased a couple new 22's this year just for cheaper plinking ammo and a reason to shoot more hoping it will help with other pistol and rifle shooting.
Actually practice rounds can be very productive done right most newbie shooters that jump in trap shooting feet first love the sport BUT do these new shooters understand the correct fundamentals? Its one thing to smoke targets with friends and bragging rights couple weekends before bird hunting season however for new shooters who get serious and need to pickup a few extra birds (targets) spend a few bucks,take a lesson with a pro,hone in the correct fundamentals, along with gun fit,eye dominance, learn to shoot with two eyes ..etc,gunfit is huge, as well as shot pattern on pattern board for starters my .02 .

Doing so you'll pickup a few pointers so you can practice correct fundamentals and develop your own shooting style.

Last edited:

Hunter58301

I shot on Wecnesday. First time in about 8 years. Tried a different shotgun. Benelli Moniflero 20 ga 26 inch barrel. Modified choke. I did better than I expected. Used 8 shot Remington target loads. I plan to try Light Modified choke next week.

Do we have any serious Sporting Clays Shooters here?
In Dallas this week shooting the South Central Regional.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26