State B Girls BB

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to Shiloh. They were unseeded and their best player didn't play all year due to an injury. #$%^&>

I do not follow Shiloh sports, I only know this from watching them play T.L. in the district championship and from the tournament broadcast. I figured Watford City would beat them last night.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
to say that parents In ND would actually pay money for their children to attend a school just for "the chance to play at state" is assinine. maybe they pay for a better education or a potentially safe environment. You do realize there is another private catholic school in Bismarck right? so if Shiloh is a Christian school, then I suppose there "pool" of kids to choose from just got smaller. Now if i'm a parent who wants my kids to excel and be noticed on a higher platform for a potential larger role in sports in life I sure as hell am not going to send them to either of those schools. I would say century or BHS has your best shot at exposure. ie Wentz, Dressler, etc. I hope to send my kids to St.marys when they get old enough, and it has nothing to do with sports, its so they don't have to do common core math or any other Obama shit.

I know a family that did this very thing. Different parents have different priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

on a side note I had to run to runnings today so I took river road in from the north. I was impressed to see a collection of 20 or so kids with a local school known for superior distance runners out running getting a jump on the track season. . . . any kids out in small towns getting a jump on the competition? I supposed this school has more kids to choose from there for there dedication is higher right?

perhaps they just got done playing basketball and do not have the luxury of being a single sport athelete which is what happens in small towns.

you would not have been trying to suggest small town atheletes do not have the commitment to athletics would you ?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always going to be exception to the normal, with that said about private institutions which have been around for centuries. Private schools can be elementary, high school, or college. They just cost way to go to which some families want to give their children the best education possibility which also helps to get into good private college if they so want. Jamestown, Concordia, Stanford, Harvard, or Union College ( who upset Gophers) cost 2 to 3 times more money to go to. All about the end Destination of who goes to these schools. Europe countries have private schools where students stay on a campus during the duration of the school year.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
gst, i didnt mean it to sound bad as i am from a "b" town and i know how it works. there are some extremely dedicated and gifted athletes that come from farm town nd. problem is the overall dedication throughout the rest of the members of the team can be lacking. thats where i think the difference lies. some of these private programs get every player to buy into the system. that shows during tourney time. if one athlete or one coach can get a small towns kids to ALL buy into the program it is usually always successful. look at the d harvey or velva- sawyer fb teans. alot of teams had just as much talent but the dedication of the offseason always showed late in the year. alot of respect for what the sandy brothers did for those programs. we didnt compete until we got a few 290 lb hogs off there tractors and stuck them on our o-line. we got them to buy into it and we competed with the top dogs.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a very good point in having a coach that can get kids to buy into the program. My wife is best friends with the sister of those Sandy Bros. and I know their programs pretty well. That and having the ability to have good coaches schooling fundamentals early on.

But there is a simple fact (and yes there are exceptions) that kids from families that many times can afford the tuitions of these private schools are not also working after school or over summers unless they want to and in some cases these schools are big enough to afford single sport athletes so there is less distracting some times .

I have seen this to be the case. And yes there is farm kids that spend more time at the lake than lifting weights as well but by enlarge most kids I know in the little schools and towns from around here are working and trying to make that fit the program.

Got a kid that gets up at 6:00 AM to drive 20 miles to school to lift year round. Plays football, basketball, school baseball and legion ball. Practices some at home, goes to camps, ect...... sports are his thing and he has a bit of athletic ability.

Plus he helps get a crop in hay cut,bales hauled, cows calved ect..... and works harder than any hired man I have ever had.

My two older boys... both played sports one would have rather hunted and one would have rather worked on cars.

Just saying some times it gets a little harder for kids like that to find that extra time to dedicate to these programs and still be a kid making memories beyond sports. Got a friends kids that with the coop school now drive 40 miles one way to practice. That is a lot of your life in a car at that age.

Having said that, even when these private schools compete on this level , it seems there was always that cinderella team like Grenora or Epping or some other one that pulls all the people in the state together in Class B. Maybe not so much now with the coops.

There were a couple good games to watch, hope this years boys B is as good as last years.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree and can appreciate what you are saying. i
we had to literally beg a couple of these kids parents to let them play. the deal was harvest came first. which no one said a word if they missed a practice or two. i dont buy in to the private schools recruiting or finding an all star team. i contribute the success on the points youve made that individuals and teams away from rural areas have more time to dedicate to there sports. it may not be the case as much now but when i was growing up a family farm was just that. families made it by on 3500 acres and the farm came first. i can buy into he multi sport thing to a point but theres a lot of great multi sport athletes in the city too. single sport athletes didnt exist when i played. they were looked upon as wasting talent.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Private schools have an advantage. No matter how many classes there are there's always going to be teams/schools/towns that can't match up with someone, private or not. Linton's almost always going to have more athletes than Strasburg. Hazen's bigger than New Salem. Jamestown and Valley City - Enrollment probably about 25% of what Minot is and 50% of the Bismarck schools. They drop down to AA football and now they're going to be 3-5 times larger than a bunch of those schools. That's life, someone always has advantages that you don't have.

That said, I think we'll see 3 classes of basketball within 10 years. Only problem is the travel gets so spread out (say, Beulah playing Grafton), although that's almost happening in the B anyways with all the co-ops. Wouldn't be surprised if they make private schools multiply their enrollment a bit (say if your enrollment is 100 kids multiply by 1.5 = 150 for classification purposes). I think MN did this, not sure if they still do. ND has a hard time changing things.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33