the 410

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still have my old sears n roebuck 12 . Here I thought I was the only kid in the world that grew up shooting a bolt action shotgun.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still have the Mossberg Model 183 series bolt-action .410 I shot my first pheasant with as a kid.
mossberg183-1a.jpg

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
First shotgun was an Ithaca M-66 single shot 410. I shot a lot of ducks with that when I was 10-12 yrs old.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Steven's 59, tube feed.

I started out with a Savage 24 in 22/410 then moved up to a Western field pump 410.

I picked this one up on Sunday. I shot my first Duck, Goose, Pheasant, Grouse, Partridge and Fox with a gun just like this.

I'm going to shoot something with it this fall, before I retire it.

20230612_182940.jpg

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a bolt action when I was a kid. Don't remember the make or model. Wish I still had it. Anyone still got one???

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2023-tristar-arms-lr94/?utm_source=newsletter
My father started me out with a 410 bolt action, not sure of the make. I only used it a short time as periodically the thing would go off on its own and it didn't matter if the safety was on or off. He tried to get it fixed but ended up destroying the gun. After that I went to a 12 ga and never looked back.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20ga bolt sold by monkey wards, Western field I think. Was less than 40 bucks if I remember right. Shot a lot of birds back in the early 60's with it and still have it. LB

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old 16gauge bolt with a 2 round clip I run that bolt just as fast as my buddy with a pump
Have that same gun handed down from my mother was her dad's, can't shoot the damned thing right handed the safety switch chews up my thumb

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20ga bolt sold by monkey wards, Western field I think. Was less than 40 bucks if I remember right. Shot a lot of birds back in the early 60's with it and still have it. LB
Am I the only one that likes to read stuff about how things were back in the day(way before I was born)? Montgomery ward sold guns? That's awesome! Not trying to call anybody out on there age. It really is cool to read about the way things used to be and the history of our country. Alot of things get lost with time. Keep up with your info/history LB it really is an honor to read and know where we have come from.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I purchased a Browning BL-22 out of the JC Penney's catalog and had it sent to my house with no 4473 form to fill out. I think it was 1978.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Folks bought a lot of things from Montgomery wards they had like a three story store in Wahpeton ND Basement was like a man cave then two stories of clothing then furniture on top. I know Dad bought all our appliances and at least three guns. A 303 British, My twenty ga, a 12 guage Ithica feather light and I forgot a Western Field 22 semi auto rifle. There is a story behind that 22. It was right after they gave it too me, never had an auto before. I came up to the house dropped the tube of shells and cranked the bolt to get the one in the chamber out. Went in the house and mom was at the kitchen sink doing dishes and she said "that gun unloaded". I said yep pointed it up at the ceiling and "BLAM". Didn't know there was always one more round that would load. Mom never said a word and they never patched the hole in the ceiling. Dad fixed the roof so it would not leak. After that I never came in the house without looking at that hole. Sharp lesson learned about gun safety that I never forgot. They are "always Loaded. That hole in the ceiling was still there when they tore that house down. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a Browning BL-22 out of the JC Penney's catalog and had it sent to my house with no 4473 form to fill out. I think it was 1978.
Mail order guns ended and 4473’s started w/ GCA 1968. That’s also when serial numbers became a requirement.

I remember Target in Bismarck having a gun Dept and they did auto maint. When they opened too.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Folks bought a lot of things from Montgomery wards they had like a three story store in Wahpeton ND Basement was like a man cave then two stories of clothing then furniture on top. I know Dad bought all our appliances and at least three guns. A 303 British, My twenty ga, a 12 guage Ithica feather light and I forgot a Western Field 22 semi auto rifle. There is a story behind that 22. It was right after they gave it too me, never had an auto before. I came up to the house dropped the tube of shells and cranked the bolt to get the one in the chamber out. Went in the house and mom was at the kitchen sink doing dishes and she said "that gun unloaded". I said yep pointed it up at the ceiling and "BLAM". Didn't know there was always one more round that would load. Mom never said a word and they never patched the hole in the ceiling. Dad fixed the roof so it would not leak. After that I never came in the house without looking at that hole. Sharp lesson learned about gun safety that I never forgot. They are "always Loaded. That hole in the ceiling was still there when they tore that house down. LB

I used to dream for hours of all the cheep guns Sears, Monkey Wards and Herter's had. I was tinkering one time and pulled the bullet out of a 22 shell and filled it with table salt and sealed it with drip or two of wax. I was in the back hall, (work on stuff room) of our house and thought it might sand blast a little paint off the door so I let it rip from about 10 feet and It blew a quarter size hole in the door. Quick thinking from a typical 10 year old, I found one of those old screw in clothes hooks and screwed it in above the hole hung my old snowmobile suit over it. When I got busted and fessed up what happened I was thinking I was in deep trouble but instead my ol man got a chuckle out of it.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Before my time, you could buy a house from Sears. My wife's grandparents had one, down in LB's neck-of-the-woods. Tore it down a few years back.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck the old sears roebuck catalog was about the only place to buy stuff way back. Every store you went to that didn't have something in stock whipped out the catalog and ordered it for ya. Have quite a few old guns my grandpa got outta the catalog.

As far as a .410 I have a single shot ERA from the early 80's bought from a K-mart, it killed a lot of morning doves back in the day. Shells are too dang expensive and I'm not as good of a shot so I need 3 rounds now days haha

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Before my time, you could buy a house from Sears. My wife's grandparents had one, down in LB's neck-of-the-woods. Tore it down a few years back.
How did you buy a house from sears? Was it like a prefab that they shipped out?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88