The Drug War problem.... interesting perspective

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found this podcast very enlightening, gave some insight into 'institutionalized racism' that I had never considered before. Very unfortunate for our country as a whole, this war on drugs....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell that to the millions of kids raised by drugged out loser parents (including alcoholics).

Many parents never get busted or pay a price for their addiction (the parents were never "victims" of the war on drugs) - but the kids sure paid a price.

No system "screwed the poor parents" so everything should have come up roses then right?

Very unfortunate for humanity - this thing called addiction. If only we could wave a magic wand and make it go away.

How does making drugs legal make addiction go away exactly?

Did making alcohol legal make alcoholism go away?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well making drugs illegal didnt solve the addiction problem, and it created a lot of criminals out of people who have mental/psychological issues. I would suggest taking an hour to watch the podcast before stating opinions. ND hasnt been hit hard by the drug war, as much most urban areas. For many many people it has done nothing but make a bad situation worse, in some areas exponentially worse, while costing taxpayers billions, if not trillions of dollars.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have watched this podcast. Joe Rogan is a boss. He's done it all and I value his opinions.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-the-dan-barreiro-show-KFAN_Barreiro/720-bumper-to-bumper-26212324/

the above should be a link to the bumper to bumper show on kfan from yesterday. its a 3-6:30 show. but, about an hour in at about 4 PM or so, he has ron rosenbaum on and they discuss the andrew sadek case. fyi... that's the case of the college student who sold 3.3 grams of marijuana, the task force convinced him to be a confidential informant which involves doing some controlled buys whilst wearing a wire, etc... he was found dead in the red river. originally ruled a suicide and a pretty shoddy investigation or lack thereof followed. the investigation and what actually happened to this kid is a whole other interesting story. but, the use of users and kids who sold small amounts to their friends or someone they thought was their friends as a CI to try and move up the ladder is dangerous business and i think its very worthy of discussion. we are seeing a sh&t ton of this in our area right now. and i can almost guarantee you its only a matter of time before someone ends up dead if they haven't already.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well making drugs illegal didnt solve the addiction problem, and it created a lot of criminals out of people who have mental/psychological issues. I would suggest taking an hour to watch the podcast before stating opinions. ND hasnt been hit hard by the drug war, as much most urban areas. For many many people it has done nothing but make a bad situation worse, in some areas exponentially worse, while costing taxpayers billions, if not trillions of dollars.

How do you calculate the savings (millions... billions?) from all of those that didn't get into drugs because they were/are illegal. Therefore they work, raise kids properly, and contribute? Anybody ever look into that? Why is it that the war on drugs is looked at as 100% bad investment by you/others?

How can you think about it in such black/white terms?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree forcing a young kid to do dangerous undercover work, by threatening them with insane mandatory minimum prison sentences should be illegal. Currently it is something Obama is working on, hopefully he can get nonviolent drug sentences restructured before his term ends. Its about the only good thing hes done in the last 7 years IMO....

Really sad a young kid died for something so benign. :(

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Hey - I know a lot of nerd types who were afraid to get involved with drugs in HS/college - and I am pretty sure they would have been Chris Farly style druggies the way they were wired - had they tried them. But the illegal part scared them out of it.

2Q==

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey - I know a lot of nerd types who were afraid to get involved with drugs in HS/college - and I am pretty sure they would have been Chris Farly style druggies the way they were wired - had they tried them. But the illegal part scared them out of it.

2Q==

That's me to a "T". I've never tried any illegal drugs because I was always too afraid I'd like them.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fear of being Article 15'nd or Levinworthed kept me away from the whole scene after 18. Prior to that was the GUARANTEE OF A KING SIZED AND CONTINUOUS ASS KICKING FROM BOTH MY PARENTS THAT WOULD HAVE LASTED UNTIL I WAS 18!!!!!!! Fear is a powerful motivator. Sometimes good........Sometimes bad. Drugs of all types are a negative influence on human behavior. JMHO though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's me to a "T". I've never tried any illegal drugs because I was always too afraid I'd like them.

There ya go... I suspect SDMF would not go down easily in a "shoodout wit da feds" in his cocaine fueled drug running boat! :cool:

That's at least a million $$$ saved right there!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really dont want this to turn into a "Are drugs good or bad" discussion. Specifically I would like people to watch the podcast and then discuss the 'war on drugs' not drugs themselves. These are two very different things, most intelligent people can be dissuaded from using dangerous drugs via education, versus threatening them with jail.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really dont want this to turn into a "Are drugs good or bad" discussion. Specifically I would like people to watch the podcast and then discuss the 'war on drugs' not drugs themselves. These are two very different things, most intelligent people can be dissuaded from using dangerous drugs via education, versus threatening them with jail.

I disagree. Most everyone, intelligent or not, know that driving drunk is dangerous and yet it's commonplace. Lots of intelligent folks, from Doctors, College Professors, Sports Figures, Politicians, etc. etc. etc. are educated, but that didn't keep them from getting involved in the drug scene. Which is inherently dangerous. As far as the war on drugs, it's almost laughable to hear the politicians and other public figures talk about it like they are winning the war. I have never smoked pot, let alone anything else, and even I KNOW where I can get just about any illegal/prescription drug if I wanted to. War on Drugs..........PPFFFTTT!!! It doesn't even rate the classification of a minor police action.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never smoked pot, let alone anything else, and even I KNOW where I can get just about any illegal/prescription drug if I wanted to. War on Drugs..........PPFFFTTT!!! It doesn't even rate the classification of a minor police action.

Im not sure what this statement is supposed to mean, is it pro war or anti war? Are you trying to make a statement about how the war on drugs has affected you in Valley City ND? Have you considered how it has affected our nation as a whole and in particular, urban young people?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
legalize the whole damn works, we need to reduce the population of this world in a hurry

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 334
  • This month: 227
  • This month: 193
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 73