The whole posted / unposted land thing in ND should die (includes Poll)

Should permission be required on all private land in ND?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 71.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having lived in ND my whole life until a year ago, I'd take ND rules over SD no questions asked. Even if a lot more land is getting posted in ND, at least you generally have a contact name, number or address to try and get permission. In SD unless you spend a ton of money on Plat books (if the county has one), it's a complete crap shoot trying to find the actual owner of the land. I miss hunting in ND a lot, other than not getting tags for years. Just my thoughts after having now lived and hunted in both states.

You live in the god awful Shit hole part of the state. So can't really judge how it is every where else here. I like it takes some.work to get land also I know if any one else is there. For waterfowl which I have been told no once here but that was because my father-in-law asked already it is great no sitting for two hours before sunrise saving a.spot.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate getting my Arsh Chewed for asking to hunt. I got totally bling sided for asking a guy to hunt Doves. Somebody sure pissed him off at one time. So I'm not real hip about pestering land owners to hunt. Opening weekend for deer we had a land owner block us on a section line that took us to corp land. his lifted dodge was bigger then ours. I wasn't going to get into a pissin match even though we were legal. we left and I called the warden
why would you leave. I would have stood right there and called him and waited. The asshat would have left in a hurry

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
You live in the god awful Shit hole part of the state. So can't really judge how it is every where else here. I like it takes some.work to get land also I know if any one else is there. For waterfowl which I have been told no once here but that was because my father-in-law asked already it is great no sitting for two hours before sunrise saving a.spot.

I've done all my hunting 6 hours from Sioux Falls because there is tons of public land. I think around the SF area I'm 0 for 12 on asking to bowhunt, pretty much gave up on looking this year and filled my statewide tag out west. It would be nice to have a name instead of blindly going to every farm in the area (and there's a lot around SF) asking if it's their land or if they know who owns it. It'll just be an adjustment period, eventually I'll run into the right people and hopefully build some good relationships. Right now it's been tough, but I'm very thankful that in SD I can get multiple deer tags every year and antelope likely every other year, can't complain about that!!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
be carefull what you wish for.

i'd bet $ that those that wish all lands off limits without permission will have NO PROBLEM shooting a coyote standing 100 yards off the road:;:exactly

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see western sd hates eastern sd like western nd hates eastern nd.

Not so much but I grew up in Watertown so I know what it is like and it is nothing like that out here. Lived in fargo for a year and that was the exact reason I moved to Mobridge I was going to loose my residence in sd just so happened there was a job here. After I learned how deer season worked there no way I was staying.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havn't read through all posts but I believe that SD does have this law or rule implemented but I also believe that thier ditches are open to hunting. If that would be the case in ND I would be all for it.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
The resource doesn't belong to the landowner it belongs to everyone. I don't think it's too much to ask to put up signs if you don't want people pursuing their resource on your land. I hunt a combination of public, posted private, and un-posted private and simply follow the rules wherever I'm at. People that don't do that are not going to change their ways if the law changes. There's nothing wrong with building relationships with landowners and there are advantages as mentioned but there's nothing wrong with a guy that just wants to leave his land open to public hunting and not have to deal with people driving into his yard in the dark to ask permission to hunt either. This is definitely a situation where if it isn't broke don't fix it and I don't think anything is broken.

- - - Updated - - -

We hear this claim quite a bit. And before anyone goes all plainsman here, indeed wild life is a public resource. But why is it the public then is only concerned with their "resource" when they want to make use of it during for say the deer gun season 17 1/2 days?

If you approach this process with this kind of mentality you really are not many steps above the landowner that believes because the wildlife is on their land it is "their resource".

Believe it or not there are costs associated with these "resources" being on the lands when they are mismanaged. If one of "my resources" gets out of the pasture and eats someone elses grain, I am responsible for those damages. How many of those people running with the "my resources" argument for access actually take responsibility for "their resources" impacts on that landowners property or livlihood? I had to settle up with a neighbor for cattle that got out into his crop after a moose ran thru our fence and broke some wires. (moose hair caught in the barbs two different places where the fence was broke told the story) so Lab hunter, want to pony up for the damage "your resource" cost me? :)

I really don;t have a problem with things the way they are............until people/orgs. start to push things.

I have brought up block management programs like Mt's at G&F advisory meetings and they have been shot down every time by the big wigs at NDG&F. No real actual legitimate reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it easier to receive permission to hunt Roosters on posted land after deer gun season. Also..when asking farmer..its a good idea to say you brought a rifle as well in case I see any yotes. THAT opens the conversation up usually. What they say.."if you want coyotes..have at it".
Also..ask them..."if we happen to harvest some pheasants...would you and the Mrs's want a couple if we cleaned them for you? " Amazing what some good manners could open up....for many many future hunts. If they dont' care for some birds, I have made it a point to pick up a gift certificate at the local watering hole/restaurant and thank them for letting me hunt. Then..on occasion if I know I will be in the area at ANY Time through out the next year, I will pull out a pack of my stash of frozen perch/walleyes and stop by their farm and give to them..just thanking again. MOST LOVE THIS as MOST don't have a chance to eat fish very often.
Something to keep in mind folks. BE NICE...as I am quite sure many are sick of the jerks and just want to be sociable and have hunters respect them and their land.

ND nice works.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
We hear this claim quite a bit. And before anyone goes all plainsman here, indeed wild life is a public resource. But why is it the public then is only concerned with their "resource" when they want to make use of it during for say the deer gun season 17 1/2 days?

If you approach this process with this kind of mentality you really are not many steps above the landowner that believes because the wildlife is on their land it is "their resource".

Believe it or not there are costs associated with these "resources" being on the lands when they are mismanaged. If one of "my resources" gets out of the pasture and eats someone elses grain, I am responsible for those damages. How many of those people running with the "my resources" argument for access actually take responsibility for "their resources" impacts on that landowners property or livlihood? I had to settle up with a neighbor for cattle that got out into his crop after a moose ran thru our fence and broke some wires. (moose hair caught in the barbs two different places where the fence was broke told the story) so Lab hunter, want to pony up for the damage "your resource" cost me? :)

I really don;t have a problem with things the way they are............until people/orgs. start to push things.

I have brought up block management programs like Mt's at G&F advisory meetings and they have been shot down every time by the big wigs at NDG&F. No real actual legitimate reason.

- - - Updated - - -

ND nice works.

did did you pony up the money or did your insurance company cover the loss?

do you receive any gov subsidies to help support your livelihood?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a deer hit my pickup I would like to know whose deer this fucker belongs to and how this issue will be rectified.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

you are absolutely right gst... been on both side of this, and have given up hunting because of it... there is a genuine sense of entitlement among the a holes who come out in the fall looking for hunting grounds...

this, i believe, is not the hunters who understand the costs associated with the feeding of the wild game (the ones who frequent sites like this), and the cost of nurturing it, but the ones who believe healthy animals are provided to them through their $25 tag (or whatever it costs now days), by the state...

to those who don't know - the STATE does not provide for the game you head to the field to harvest... the farmer does...

the STATE does not control the harvesting of the heard or flock in the particular county or township you hunt for the betterment of the species and future hunting opportunities... farmers do...

we must remember that the STATE is the macro manager of these lands, and the farmer is the restrictive steward of these resources...

thank you to the farmers who manage the resources for this and the next generations, because if left up to the state and (regrettably), hunters, my great grandchildren may have nothing left to hunt...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a deer hit my pickup I would like to know whose deer this fucker belongs to and how this issue will be rectified.

It varies, It's your deer if it wrecks your pickup , It's the farmers deer if it is eating his crops , It's G&F's deer all the other times.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually leave a gut pile for the landowner and a couple empty Busch lights, it's my way of giving back.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Errr, I believe your premise is completely false. Ever hear of sportsmans clubs, Pheasants Forever, Mule Deer Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, etc, etc? How can those memberships, mostly filled with hunters who care about the resource, be unconcerned about the public resources?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't read half the posts, but why is it people from California, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, South Dakota, and on and on and on, think they need to tell us hicks how to do things? Kiss off.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate getting my Arsh Chewed for asking to hunt. I got totally bling sided for asking a guy to hunt Doves.

I must ask, were u hunting doves in the ghetto?? Was it with thee big ole $$ chain or the classic 5 knuckle gold ring style??

Last edited:

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

ND nice works.

I'm guessing by the amount of government payments you've received I've ponied up plenty for your survival.

North Dakota doesn't have the budget to have a block management program like Montana. Montana's program is funded by non-resident big game license fees which amounts to a lot more funds than North Dakota has. Everyone pushes things and everyone has an agenda but most just want to point out the other guys without admitting theirs. I just don't think it's too much to ask to post property if you don't want to allow people access.

Last edited:

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not limit tags to land owners and their direct families only? Or if a peasant wants to hunt, a land owner has to sponsor them before sending in the app. The land owner can then ask for a fee before sponsoring. Sponsoring doesn't guarantee access, of course. That requires a couple more bucks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11