Thermal or IR Monocular

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here use a thermal or IR monocular for scanning in the dark? Trying to get an understanding of what I might be getting myself into as far as cost for what I expect to be able to do.

After a half-mile hike into my ground blind yesterday morning at 4:30am, I settled in and started hearing a strange sound that I couldn't place. Got home and googled it, and I'm about 99% sure it was a mountain lion "chirping". Real weird. The deer at this area aren't showing up later in the light of day yet, so hunting here later on wouldn't make sense.

I'm trying to learn what it'll cost me to see decently well a couple hundred yards away in the dark, be that with thermal or IR. Anyone here familiar with either of these technologies, especially the handheld scanners?

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here use a thermal or IR monocular for scanning in the dark? Trying to get an understanding of what I might be getting myself into as far as cost for what I expect to be able to do.

After a half-mile hike into my ground blind yesterday morning at 4:30am, I settled in and started hearing a strange sound that I couldn't place. Got home and googled it, and I'm about 99% sure it was a mountain lion "chirping". Real weird. The deer at this area aren't showing up later in the light of day yet, so hunting here later on wouldn't make sense.

I'm trying to learn what it'll cost me to see decently well a couple hundred yards away in the dark, be that with thermal or IR. Anyone here familiar with either of these technologies, especially the handheld scanners?
From the ND G&F:

• The use of night vision equipment, electronically enhanced light gathering optics or thermal imaging equipment for locating or hunting big game is illegal. (Exception: Battery-powered or electronically lighted sights that do not project light, lighted nocks and recording devices which do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow are allowed for big game archery seasons.)
Having any electronic item on your person that enhances your vision in the dark in a deer blind/stand is probably going to earn you a ticket.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets say you wanted a scanner to hunt coyotes, which in ND, is (stupidly) only allowed between 11/25 and 3/15. For a lower-end 640 resolution hand-held scanner, you're looking at about $3,000, give or take. You should be able to tell the difference between a coyote and a deer out to roughly 600 yards, + or -, depending on the conditions and quality of the unit. Within 200 yards, there'd be no doubt if you're looking at a mountain lion or not.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the ND G&F:

• The use of night vision equipment, electronically enhanced light gathering optics or thermal imaging equipment for locating or hunting big game is illegal. (Exception: Battery-powered or electronically lighted sights that do not project light, lighted nocks and recording devices which do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow are allowed for big game archery seasons.)
Having any electronic item on your person that enhances your vision in the dark in a deer blind/stand is probably going to earn you a ticket.
I've seen that, but if I'm not using it to hunt or locate deer, but rather, to keep from BEING hunted....gray area? Would come down to the integrity of the hunter I think. Is mountain lion considered big game in ND? Looks to me like they're only on the furbearer list.

Attachments

Screenshot_20240903_123001_Chrome.jpg
Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen that, but if I'm not using it to hunt or locate deer, but rather, to keep from BEING hunted....gray area? Would come down to the integrity of the hunter I think. Is mountain lion considered big game in ND? Looks to me like they're only on the furbearer list.
What he is saying is you would have a real hard time explaining that you "weren't" using it. You have to look at the Wardens point of view also.

Freedom

★★★★ Legendary Member
If you're unlucky enough to get ate by a lion it must've been your time to go

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, mountain lions aren't much of a concern. They're not much into messing with humans. Is it possible? Yes, but any real chance, no. You also can't use them for mountain lions so having it in your possession while doing anything other than coyote or fox hunting and only in the times described are likely going to cause you some issues.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets say you wanted a scanner to hunt coyotes, which in ND, is (stupidly) only allowed between 11/25 and 3/15. For a lower-end 640 resolution hand-held scanner, you're looking at about $3,000, give or take. You should be able to tell the difference between a coyote and a deer out to roughly 600 yards, + or -, depending on the conditions and quality of the unit. Within 200 yards, there'd be no doubt if you're looking at a mountain lion or not.
This needs to be changed. A couple of sessions ago I had a senator introduce a bill that would allow for the use of night hunting during the open firearms season for any furbearer or nongame animal that had a firearms season. No reason not to do it. Going to see if I can find someone to do it again this year but it will need some support. Game and Fish opposed it last time. Hoping they will at least be neutral this time.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

Mountain lion attacks 5-year-old boy at popular California park​

Family members helped fight off the animal as it tried to pull the child away​

By Erin Rode,Contributing LA Outdoors EditorSep 3, 2024

A 5-year-old boy is recovering from his injuries after a terrifying mountain lion attack at Malibu Creek State Park in the Santa Monica Mountains on Sunday afternoon.

The toddler and his family are from the Woodland Hills suburb outside of Los Angeles and were having a picnic at the popular state park. The group included at least six adults and a few children, according to a statement from California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The family was at Tapia Park, a picnic area within the state park just off Malibu Canyon Road, according to KTLA-TV.
The state park is located within the largely unpopulated Santa Monica Mountains between Calabasas and the Malibu coast.

The children were “playing in the immediate vicinity of the family’s picnic table” when a mountain lion attacked the young boy, causing “significant but non-life-threatening injuries.”
After some of the adults charged at the lion, it let go of the boy and then retreated up a tree.
“Somebody screamed the baby’s name, and his dad started running,” the boy’s aunt told KTLA. “The father grabbed the mountain lion with his hands, and he just fought. Then the mountain lion let go.”

“The lion remained in the tree until State Parks rangers arrived. In consultation with CDFW wildlife officers, they deemed the mountain lion a threat to public safety and a ranger euthanized it via firearm,” the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What he is saying is you would have a real hard time explaining that you "weren't" using it. You have to look at the Wardens point of view also.
Just because one is equipped with a penis does not make them a rapist.

the problem with law enforcement , including game wardens is they think everyone is guilty until proven innocent instead of the way it is supposed to be , innocent until proven guilty

Last edited:

Freedom

★★★★ Legendary Member

the problem with law enforcement , including game wardens is they think everyone is guilty until proven innocent instead of the way it is supposed to be , innocent until proven guilty
Many game laws are guilty until proven innocent to an extent. Prima facie is the legal term

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going into a situation with a pre conceived notion will lead one to the results they want more often than the facts.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

And what would your first thoughts be if you were a warden and walked up on someone's blind and found a night vision aid in their possession? Would you eat up the story that they were just using it to make sure a mountain lion wasn't going to attack them?
Just saying, sounds pretty fishy to me. Didn't happen "yet" to you or I, so nothing to get rattled over.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting question given that quite a few folks probably have a flashlight or headlamp they use to get to/from a stand and also use to retrieve game after dark and no one gives it a 2nd thought.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 154
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 45