Trolling motor batteries

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am just gonna put this out there...

Battery tech isn't patented and it's not rocket surgery. Those things are all made the same regardless of where, when, why or how. If it's LA, none of them are superior in such a way as to justify any price difference other that the name on the outside. Now if you wanna debate LA, AGM and lithium, have at it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So as it turns out I am thinking my batteries are screwed. I left them on the 3 bank charger over the winter in a cold storage building. Plugged them in this weekend, and the charger shows full charge needed on the light gauges. They should not need charging really at all but wanted to plug them in since they hadn't been plugged in since pulling them from storage a month ago.
They sit in this state for about 2 hours, then the final time I check them, the center batter shows green and full charge, the two outer batteries have red blinking lights. I didn't pull the batteries, as I was not in the mood, and somewhat PO'd.
My question is do you guys think its the charger, or my only 4 year old batteries didn't make the winter?
Fuck I am starting to hate owning shit.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better chances it's the batteries than anything else. Sounds like 2 banks would have to have went bad right? Magic 8 ball says not likely.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better chances it's the batteries than anything else. Sounds like 2 banks would have to have went bad right? Magic 8 ball says not likely.
Shouldnt batteries give more life than 4 years. Or was it that they were constantly on the charger have a cause in this situation. I typically store the boat at home and plug it in periodically, rather than leave the charge on constant.
In this biden economy, I cannot be buying batteries every 4 years...

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
So as it turns out I am thinking my batteries are screwed. I left them on the 3 bank charger over the winter in a cold storage building. Plugged them in this weekend, and the charger shows full charge needed on the light gauges. They should not need charging really at all but wanted to plug them in since they hadn't been plugged in since pulling them from storage a month ago.
They sit in this state for about 2 hours, then the final time I check them, the center batter shows green and full charge, the two outer batteries have red blinking lights. I didn't pull the batteries, as I was not in the mood, and somewhat PO'd.
My question is do you guys think its the charger, or my only 4 year old batteries didn't make the winter?

I am with you on that Johnr!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldnt batteries give more life than 4 years. Or was it that they were constantly on the charger have a cause in this situation. I typically store the boat at home and plug it in periodically, rather than leave the charge on constant.
In this biden economy, I cannot be buying batteries every 4 years...
Check the water levels. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 while Snow Birding for 5 months during the winter and I do find that doing so can eat water. Hell, the only time mine isn't plugged in is when I am using the boat.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check the water levels. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 while Snow Birding for 5 months during the winter and I do find that doing so can eat water. Hell, the only time mine isn't plugged in is when I am using the boat.
So you think these batteries can be saved if I top of the batteries?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it’s an old school charger it might have “boiled off” the water due to excessive voltage. Newfangled chargers avoid that. A modern 3 bank shouldn’t eat water though. Unless it got set to the wrong battery type (wet, gel, lithium,blah blah)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it’s an old school charger it might have “boiled off” the water due to excessive voltage. Newfangled chargers avoid that. A modern 3 bank shouldn’t eat water though. Unless it got set to the wrong battery type (wet, gel, lithium,blah blah)
Batteries are bad, as this charger should slowly lessen its charge, then stop charging altogether once the batteries are full.
Standard deep cycle

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy cheap batteries, replace one every year. Must unhook and pull the batteries every winter. Keep in a warm place. Clean terminals and connections every spring and make sure all the charging banks are charging. Best cheapest way I have found so far

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you think these batteries can be saved if I top of the batteries?
Top off with deionized Water..could also try the welder type repair...I have to add a public service announcement to that statement for the...well not gonna say it people on this site....but yeah be careful with hooking a welder to them..has worked before..also a number of videos on you tube on emptying and refilling led acid batteries that works..that's also assuming you want to put that much effort into trying to reclaim a led acid battery.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Top batteries off with water. If you have a charger at home with "boost" function, unhook on board charger and hit them with boost for about 10 seconds. This can loosen up shit on the plates. Charge overnight with that charger on 10 amp, and other batteries as well. When fully charged , check with voltmeter. Let them sit over night and get a reading on each battery the next day with volt meter. Will pretty much tell ya good or bad.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea not a big fan of leaving them on a charger all winter. I like to charge them fully and unhook them. Maybe throw the charger on the once or twice a winter.The trolling motor will leach power if left hooked up, I believe the GPS does it. But like retired said definitely check the water, guaranteed your way down on it if you left them plugged in all winter.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every since battery chargers came out with battery recondition feature Iv'e been using it on old batteries. Not sure if it's working or if I'm getting lucky but I don't have to buy as many batteries as I used to.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 334
  • This month: 231
  • This month: 194
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 73