Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are thousands upon thousands of fish coming out of the river right now. It has never seen pressure like this where it's not going to end anymore. Every spring there will be hundreds of people. I don't think ndgf is use to that and someone can not say there is not damage in our population coming from this. This system is going to get ran into the ground. When every from the desert to cannon ball these spots are getting wiped out daily. Its kind of tough for these fish to stand a chance. When there is 40 boats choking off a whole section of the river how does a fish get past that with out getting caught. At least a slot would protect some of our trophy fish to have a chance to swim up here do their thing and come back down south.

You are talking about a miniscule area of lake Oahe. Our slots down here are all to make people feel good biologist them selves have said that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't blame you. I would be upset if I lived in SD. I release nice fish for a variety of reasons. Maybe a child will catch that same fish and enjoy the catch. I see no need to brag at a cleaning station.

I was joking people can keep what ever fish they want as long as it is legal is my opinion.

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many lakes in ND besides Missouri River system and Devils lake actually have a high spawning success rate? Most of our lakes are mud and do not support walleye spawning. By looking at the amount of stocking we do I'd say they have it figured out to have sustainable fisheries and happy fisherman. We had the one over 18 on the river for quite some time and I know I have caught more big fish since the restriction was removed then I ever did while it was in effect. Leave it the way it is!

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the NDGF don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to deer, but are absolute geniuses when it comes to fish? Just trying to get this right.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are thousands upon thousands of fish coming out of the river right now. It has never seen pressure like this where it's not going to end anymore. Every spring there will be hundreds of people.

It saw the same kind of pressure in '08 and '12 for sure. What you see happening on the river in the spring isn't squat compared to June/July on Oahe.

Case in point here's a late-June weekend out of Bush's Landing on Oahe, there's a whole bunch parked and just as many behind me up the hill as you see in front of me down the hill:

Pic018.jpg

iceeyes

A good percentage of those oahe walleyes become Missouri river walleye. Just,much easier to catch because they are much more concentrated. Here's my question do you think of North Dakota put the same as south for the Missouri which would be one over 20 inches if you guys say it would not help. It sure as hell wouldn't hurt anything either. These fish are getting murdered right now. I'm pretty sure of that tagging study they are doing as of last year 20 percent of those had been caught. Those are just tagged ones. We have never seen this system fished this hard so people can say it doesn't hurt the system but time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

So let's say this spring 50 to 60 thousand walleye get taken out which I think it will,be more. That didn't hurt a thing?????

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
While im not a big fan of slots I think the five fish limit is a bit excessive.
Someone bad repped me for this. At least leave your name queer. Volms, it should be mandatory to post your name for rep points. Good or bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Guy, I know you hate the queer word.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have never seen this system fished this hard

River in and S of Bismarck looked just like this year in spring of '08 and '12, pretty sure '07 as well. I remember leaving my boat/truck on my dad's RV pad next to his house in Bismarck for Apr/May in '06, 07, and 08.

I'm not saying don't keep an eye on numbers but if you think the river hasn't seen this kind of pressure before, you either haven't fished it in the spring very often, or you recently got your 1st boat and just now realize how many folks utilize the resource.

COE has exponentially more influence over what happens to fish numbers than do fishermen.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a safe bet that fish numbers are directly correlated to water levels. Not fishermen.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone bad repped me for this. At least leave your name queer. Volms, it should be mandatory to post your name for rep points. Good or bad.

I suspect it was the same person who bad rep'd me for the ANS comments I made on this thread.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lower limits.

- - - Updated - - -

5 to 4. Spring spawners imo need to spawn.

iceeyes

Yes I'm very a war of 08 and 12 but after those year the pressure diminished. After 12 was the flood. What I'm saying is, is from here on out we probably will not see a diminish in fishing pressure. In 14 it was pretty quiet for boats once every one learned they were not easy limits.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This argument comes up every spring when walleyes are relatively easy to catch due to their proximity to known locations. Time has already told us the results of a slot limit and the data, over many years, just doesn't support that a slot limit applies a positive impact upon a walleye population in ND. It has been shown repeatedly that a slot is nothing but a "Warm Fuzzy" regulatory restriction. The proof of that is in your post iceeyes, and I quote "It sure as hell wouldn't hurt anything either." Doing something because it "wouldn't hurt" is not enough of a reason to implement more regulations IMO. It wouldn't hurt anything to require everyone wear a pink hat while fishing either, but it wouldn't improve the walleye fishing any more than a slot limit. The peer reviewed scientific literature shows that. The fact is, that only a small fraction of the walleye population will be an any one particular location at any one time. There are thousands of spawning locations throughout that system and the many other walleye lakes and rivers that NEVER see a fisherman's offering at any time during the spring. Additionally, the vast majority of fishermen don't fish during darkness. It has been shown that a significant amount of spawning activity occurs during the night. Assuming there isn't a catastrophic environmental disaster of some sort, there will be walleyes aplenty in Oahe, Sak, and the Missouri river for all to partake in if they so choose.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I'm very a war of 08 and 12 but after those year the pressure diminished. After 12 was the flood. What I'm saying is, is from here on out we probably will not see a diminish in fishing pressure. In 14 it was pretty quiet for boats once every one learned they were not easy limits.

We could have another flood. We could have a drought. We could lose the food base and Oahe could go back to 14 fish/day. There could be a bajillion more gizzard shad that come outta the Black Hills.

COE is of far more concern than 200-300 boats from Bismarck to the Cannonball on the weekends. Those fish have ~14hrs/day (night actually) to swim upstream and not deal with more than 10 boats from the Cannonball clear up to the tailrace.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember the same argument every spring for as long as I can remember. The fishing is still good every year the when conditions allow opportunity. If a slot can be proven with concrete evidence to improve things significantly, I'm all for it. If we are adding a slot just to keep people from barking about this crap every year, I am opposed.

I look at Devils Lake spawn for example. We haven't had runoff significant enough to fish the spring pig whack ditch fest for 3 years now. Some will say that is great because those hogs were saved. The fact of the matter is the spawn is way more successful when the runoff concentrates the fish and with the help of current despite the fact some are getting whacked in the process. The best of the spawn bite lasts about 10-15 days of good opportunity. If that opportunity window was way longer, I would say their would need to be regulation for protection.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW, these low water levels concern me far more than somebody going out and keeping their 5 walleyes in a day. No matter the size.

- - - Updated - - -

A good percentage of those oahe walleyes become Missouri river walleye. Just,much easier to catch because they are much more concentrated. Here's my question do you think of North Dakota put the same as south for the Missouri which would be one over 20 inches if you guys say it would not help. It sure as hell wouldn't hurt anything either. These fish are getting murdered right now. I'm pretty sure of that tagging study they are doing as of last year 20 percent of those had been caught. Those are just tagged ones. We have never seen this system fished this hard so people can say it doesn't hurt the system but time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

So let's say this spring 50 to 60 thousand walleye get taken out which I think it will,be more. That didn't hurt a thing?????

Where's the math on that? Just curious.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you guys are telling me all these people who are keeping these fat spawning walleye will not hurt out systems in the years to come

- - - Updated - - -

looks like i am going to start keep the fat females they fill the freezer faster.

Yep, water levels and substrate are a hell of a lot more important. It is far better to have 10% of the vast number of eggs laid in any given year survive than it is to have 0.005% survive, even with onerous slot limits that produce more eggs.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

The reason the fish are tagged is so they can be caught and reported. That's the whole idea of the study. It's not long-term, its simply studying seasonal movements.

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to start keeping my share of the limits of 4-6lb fish and I hope your kids never catch fish out of this river in years to come cause we didn't preserve it

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fisherman's lines are but a drop in an ocean compared to natural mortality in walleyes. you could ban fishing all together, and the walleye population will continue just as it always has, riding an up and down roller coaster based on water levels, predator populations, nutrient levels, spawning conditions, etc... By slot limit logic, if you banned fishing, the walleye population would be nothing but ten pound pigs, but thats not how it works. Very few walleyes have the ability to reach 8lbs, even with optimal conditions, just like i dont have the ability to be 7 feet tall.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to start keeping my share of the limits of 4-6lb fish and I hope your kids never catch fish out of this river in years to come cause we didn't preserve it

Id be interested to see how many photos of 4-6lb walleye limits you could post in a season.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46