whole house humidifiers

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new place is a bit dry. Plenty of static, and dry nose's. Any of you guys use the furnace whole house humidifiers?
I was looking on line and it seems this is the way to go, fairly easy to operate, install, and maintain.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just went with a large free standing Kenmore unit from Sears a few years back. I had a complete new HVAC system installed about 5-6 years ago and was going to go this route and I had 5 estimates and asked them all about doing a built in whole house unit and everyone of them said not to as they all become plagued with issues eventually. Can't remember all the specifics just that not a single HVAC contractor recommended it.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an aprilaire system in my house. It works pretty slick. All I need to do is change the water tray out when it gets caked in mineral deposits.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you get a humidifier that has an outdoor sensor that will adjust the levels as the temp goes up and down, most of the newer models have them.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an aprilaire system in my house. It works pretty slick. All I need to do is change the water tray out when it gets caked in mineral deposits.

Yup, this. It has to have a drain however. when we bought our house the AprilAire was not functioning. I kinda thought "huh,who cares?".

Way too much static, dry noses. My kids kept getting small nosebleeds. I had the thing repaired (new sending unit I believe - under $100) and was the best $100 I ever spent. Much more pleasant in the house with this system operating. No static, no shocks.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, this. It has to have a drain however. when we bought our house the AprilAire was not functioning. I kinda thought "huh,who cares?".

Way too much static, dry noses. My kids kept getting small nosebleeds. I had the thing repaired (new sending unit I believe - under $100) and was the best $100 I ever spent. Much more pleasant in the house with this system operating. No static, no shocks.

Anyone know how much one of these units costs?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to Menards and buy the Honeywell unit that mounts to your return air duct by the furnace. I installed that same unit in my house and it works great. They are fairly inexpensive. Install very easily. It is a bypass unit. You don't want to buy an elaborate fan operated one. The bypass units are pretty much fool proof.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to Menards and buy the Honeywell unit that mounts to your return air duct by the furnace. I installed that same unit in my house and it works great. They are fairly inexpensive. Install very easily. It is a bypass unit. You don't want to buy an elaborate fan operated one. The bypass units are pretty much fool proof.

Yup, I have the exact same unit. Works great and filters last a year and are cheap...like $8 I think.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
$450 installed

Was this in Western ND, and who did you have do it?

I ran my shower last night for about a half hour on the hottest it would go to add a bit of moisture to the air. Place is like a damn popcorn fart.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was this in Western ND, and who did you have do it?

I ran my shower last night for about a half hour on the hottest it would go to add a bit of moisture to the air. Place is like a damn popcorn fart.

For me and my family, $450 is worth it. One-time expense. Had a humidistat you can change with the change of seasons. I shut mine off in the spring when the snow is melting.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our house has a boiler with hot water piped around the house for heat. And boy am I glad. Humidity is pretty much ideal all winter with no need for adjustment.

I lived in a mobile home trailer in my youth... you want to talk about static and dryness. Yeesh.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went a little higher on the bells & whistles. Bought the Honeywell model and my brother sent me (he is a corporate wholesale guy) their "Prestige" set up, which adds sensors to the sending and returning duct. I now operate the furnace/AC via my mobile phone and can turn the humidity level up/down anywhere based on outdoor temps. The system also comes with a remote thermostat so when I'm in the basement with the fireplace I can switch the thermostat to the remote rather than upstairs, without going upstairs.

I know the whole system is close to 1k, but since I got the $550 parts for free it was worth the $450 initial expense. Filter is once per year and any liquids drain through a t-hose connection along with the AC condensation into the floor drain.

If your house is sitting at 20% humidity you'll only suffer. I keep my humidity around 35% during the winter and with Mother Nature's permission.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honeywell or Aprilaire bypass humidifier is the way to go, stay away from any steam generator style-way too much maintenance. Best to hang it on the return duct instead of the supply plenum in case of a leak you won't rust out the furnace heat exchanger or short something electrically. Outdoor sensor is a very good recommendation, no fine tuning constantly, wire it to the fan terminal on the furnace, that will allow it to operate anytime the fan is on instead of only when heating. If hooked to hot water they say they'll humidify a bit better but you will have scale issues even in the oriface, cold worked just fine for many years not near as many scale issues.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
April aire humidifier installed today, already noticeable. Our furnace was right next to a water pipe and floor drain, so the guys had a pretty easy installation.
Not positive on what the perfect setting is but we have it set at 35% right now, feels about right

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
April aire humidifier installed today, already noticeable. Our furnace was right next to a water pipe and floor drain, so the guys had a pretty easy installation.
Not positive on what the perfect setting is but we have it set at 35% right now, feels about right

keep ep an eye on the condensation buildup on the windows with the temp changes and tweak the setting accordingly

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 12
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4