Whole lot of clucking going on in minot

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
well there is an easy solution to #1 allen - no roosters. in fact, i assumed that was a given in any town that allows them. they are fugging worthless unless you are wanting babies.

#2 - all towns have a leash law. not the chicken owners problem if the neighbors dog is off a leash and can't control himself. dogs chase and kill cats too. we don't outlaw those.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had chickens for years and though the eggs are nice they can be a pain in the ass. That being said I think anyone who isn't trying to raise as much of their own food right now is either a fool or hasn't really been paying attention. For one thing all the food processing place fires and planned food shortages. Bill Gates and others the last couple years have been saying in interviews that they think they should just put the covid vaccine into the food supply then people wouldn't have any choice but to take it. After seeing that they had no problem releasing covid on the world do you really think that they maybe didn't have a hand in goosing this avian flu thats been decimating the US poultry flocks with millions of birds having to be killed "because the experts tell us they might be infected". Then when you know that the powers that be want to get it in our food supply last week Biden announced that they want to vaccinate all US poultry for avian flu. Do you trust that they will only be putting avian flu vaccine into that shot? Do you really think will all the dumpster fires going on in our economy right now that they really give a flying f**k about our chicken supply when they would rather we be eating grain and bugs anyway. After hearing that announcement in the news last week my tinfoil hat just got adjusted a little tighter. Do some research what they are doing to the farmers in the Netherlands right now causing all kinds of protests and whatnot. These people see self sustainence and Farmers as the problem not as anyone they want to help.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had chickens for years and though the eggs are nice they can be a pain in the ass. That being said I think anyone who isn't trying to raise as much of their own food right now is either a fool or hasn't really been paying attention. For one thing all the food processing place fires and planned food shortages. Bill Gates and others the last couple years have been saying in interviews that they think they should just put the covid vaccine into the food supply then people wouldn't have any choice but to take it. After seeing that they had no problem releasing covid on the world do you really think that they maybe didn't have a hand in goosing this avian flu thats been decimating the US poultry flocks with millions of birds having to be killed "because the experts tell us they might be infected". Then when you know that the powers that be want to get it in our food supply last week Biden announced that they want to vaccinate all US poultry for avian flu. Do you trust that they will only be putting avian flu vaccine into that shot? Do you really think will all the dumpster fires going on in our economy right now that they really give a flying f**k about our chicken supply when they would rather we be eating grain and bugs anyway. After hearing that announcement in the news last week my tinfoil hat just got adjusted a little tighter. Do some research what they are doing to the farmers in the Netherlands right now causing all kinds of protests and whatnot. These people see self sustainence and Farmers as the problem not as anyone they want to help.
even liberals need to eat.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
well there is an easy solution to #1 allen - no roosters. in fact, i assumed that was a given in any town that allows them. they are fugging worthless unless you are wanting babies.

#2 - all towns have a leash law. not the chicken owners problem if the neighbors dog is off a leash and can't control himself. dogs chase and kill cats too. we don't outlaw those.
1. Most chickens are bought unsexed as just a few days old from the internet. Especially if you are looking for some of the more exotic breeds. Little Suzy will get attached, and as noted...these town birds are going to be more pets than anything resembling a farm animal. Places like Runnings and TSC often have signs up noting their birds for sale are intended for ag operations, not pets.

2. Agreed, leash laws exist. I'm just saying chickens are the equivalent of baiting a dog off the reservation. There will be hard feelings on both sides. The bird owners will lament the difficulty in providing safe havens for their birds, and the dog owners are going to be upset at how much harder their dogs will work to escape. Irrespective of how the laws are, this is how it will unfold for many.

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have “urban chickens” no issues in the 2 years we’ve had them. Keep them in a 10x10 dog kennel with a small insulated coop. I have 2 hunting dogs with very high prey drive that absolutely would kill them given the oppurtunity. They’ve never broke into the coop or even tried. We lost 1 hen during the spring blizzards last year to a mink other than that 0 issues. No mice, flies, or stink.

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Most chickens are bought unsexed as just a few days old from the internet. Especially if you are looking for some of the more exotic breeds. Little Suzy will get attached, and as noted...these town birds are going to be more pets than anything resembling a farm animal. Places like Runnings and TSC often have signs up noting their birds for sale are intended for ag operations, not pets.

2. Agreed, leash laws exist. I'm just saying chickens are the equivalent of baiting a dog off the reservation. There will be hard feelings on both sides. The bird owners will lament the difficulty in providing safe havens for their birds, and the dog owners are going to be upset at how much harder their dogs will work to escape. Irrespective of how the laws are, this is how it will unfold for many.
1. TSC, runnings, and all distributors have a sexed pullet only option. Usually $1 more cost.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the word "Gazebocoop".
It was kickass design he had to come up with a original project in one of his construction management classes. Everything cadd designed, material costs, and set up an excel spreadsheet program. And being that we both were originally carpenters in our old trade it would have been an easy buck. I wasn't looking to get back into being carpenter, I wanted to do something else. Now look it gazebocoops could be a hot ticket now.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
It was kickass design he had to come up with an original project in one of his construction management classes. Everything cadd designed, material costs, and set up an excel spreadsheet program. And being that we both were originally carpenters in our old trade it would have been an easy buck. I wasn't looking to get back into being carpenter, I wanted to do something else. Now look it gazebocoops could be a hot ticket now

Plans on Amazon for $9.99.
5F63AF23-2ABC-40E3-BC82-5368DBC64790.jpeg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have friend that has chickens. Said friend likes veggies. We get along fine. LB

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor claims to have 9 of them in her basement this winter. I don't even want to think about it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67