Yearly RV parks

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am getting tired of pulling the camper around and toying with the idea of getting a permanent spot next year. I know of Red Rock on Tschida and Morning Star on Sakakawea. Are there any areas that are closer to water? I don't like the idea of having to drive to the water, a short walk would be ok.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am getting tired of pulling the camper around and toying with the idea of getting a permanent spot next year. I know of Red Rock on Tschida and Morning Star on Sakakawea. Are there any areas that are closer to water? I don't like the idea of having to drive to the water, a short walk would be ok.

You can take your pick from the far West end to the far East end of Devils Lake. Good number of annual campgrounds. Lot rent, services, facilities, actual distance to the lake, and lot size can all vary quite a bit.

The West end would be closest to Bismarck, 2hr +/- 15min from Bismarck to Minnewauken. Go N out of Sterling through Anamoose up to Hwy 19 then E into Minnewauken.

We put a camper on a permanent/year-'round lot on Devis 5 summers ago. It's been an exponential increase in "family time". Get to the camper, turn on the water, turn on the water heater, turn on the AC and you're "camping". When you're done for the weekend you empty the black/gray tanks by merely pulling the slice-valves (you'll have your own septic hookup, no "honey-wagon" nor pulling to a dump stations. Then turn off the water, water heater, and turn down/off the AC and drive away, done.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pluses and minuses. You have to weigh them both. I know here in DL country, there are many campers/spots for sale/ rent every year. If you then build on a deck/dock/shed/etc and come to sell in a few yrs for one reason or another, you will be having to be very very competitive on your sale as there are many to choose from...ie..do I sell at a loss? how much of a loss or pay another year of rent?Just my thoughts. Need to think down the road.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when we had our toyhaulers best move we made was getting a seasonal spot. Pulling and setting up, tearing down sucks!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know van hook has seasonal camper spots for sure on the east side of the campground. . am not 100% sure where they all are but there is campers parked within 50-100 yards of the water with tall grass around/under them so I gotta assume those are seasonal or they rented them for a month or better. like I said close to the water but a guy would still have to dump your boat in very morning at the ramp.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems the big lake doesn't have that much to offer. There are lottery-draw sites at Government Bay and Dakota Waters on the south side of Sakakawea; then Indian Hills, Van Hook, and Brendle Bay on the north side of Sakakawea. I hear that many of the local mafia somehow already set up at these locations get to keep their locations and, therefore, are not truly 'seasonal'. I'd love to get a permanent seasonal so I can just keep the RV there and either haul the boat back/forth or keep the boat on site with the RV. Someone said it can take 3-4 years before you even make a drawing for one location or the other.

I can't believe Ft. Berthold hasn't accessed some of their land for building these recreational sites to draw in more revenue. All that land and they're LOOKING for revenue streams.... seems like a no-brainer to me.

Sotaman

Established Member
Sportsman Centennial also has a seasonal draw. the drawing is held in September so maybe drive up and check it out. We have been doing it for five years pull it down mid may set it up good and take it home October or so.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pluses and minuses. You have to weigh them both. I know here in DL country, there are many campers/spots for sale/ rent every year. If you then build on a deck/dock/shed/etc and come to sell in a few yrs for one reason or another, you will be having to be very very competitive on your sale as there are many to choose from...ie..do I sell at a loss? how much of a loss or pay another year of rent?Just my thoughts. Need to think down the road.

I know some put up the deck, add the shed, etc thinking they'll make a profit at some point. Foolhardy IMO to think that something you don't own will ever appreciate. If campsites are in such demand that established sites are selling at a profit, the campground owner is likely to add on to the campground and put in more sites. Campers don't appreciate either. They depreciate, FAST!!!

If/when I sell someday, I think I'll be happy if I can get whatever my current camper is worth + the cost of the materials for the deck I built.

We've enjoyed that deck for 4 summers, and are likely to enjoy it a whole bunch more summers to come so to me it's already paid for itself. I didn't build it with the idea that it'd make me $$ someday.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now if you change the state name and its close to a city such as fargo or any larger city in MN ---- they dont depreciate. The oldest piece of $hit on cormorant lake is going to go 10X what its worth. location location location ---- devils lake isnt the sought after lake any more. We had several campers in our grounds move west --- the larger gold nuggets is in sak.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stateline resort has seasonal but I think they are full. Kohler point is just next door and they have openings. I have mine at Stateline. It's nice no dock tho have to go to langlier which is only a couple miles from campground but there is water right up to campground with access to the beach when the water isn't to hIgh. We love it just drive down turn everything on and ur good to go. I also have a enclosed trailer I use to store stuff in and keep a fridge in there so don't have to mess with coolers and ice. They had a hell of a fireworks show this year and they have a couple of events for the campers during the summer and a fishing tournament labor day weekend along with trick or treating for the kids that weekend. They sell bait and gas and have a little cafe that's open on the weekends well for this year anyway. Another place is oahe sunset just across the border in sd. Pretty nice place too.

Sotaman

Established Member
What does sportsman charge for season

Depending on what you get drawn for Electric 1,100. Primitive i think is 700. the contract is typically from May 15 to September 15. But that is all the have there currently is not water on site or a dump station. And the boat dock sucks it scratches boats as they don't maintain its proper height. lol that's what I am blaming it on

But I gotta say its a forty minute drive from Minot and we throw out the rug unroll the awning crack a beer look at the water and let the stink of the work week wash away.

Last edited:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sportsman looked great until you said no water or dump station. I would rather have full hook-ups so I don't have to haul water and poo. I will have to do some digging around and probably try to find something on the big lake since that's about as close to Bismarck as a person could get. Jamestown reservoir wouldn't be bad either since the wife and I both have family in Fargo and it would be centrally located as far as a place to meet.

Sotaman

Established Member
Sportsman looked great until you said no water or dump station. I would rather have full hook-ups so I don't have to haul water and poo. I will have to do some digging around and probably try to find something on the big lake since that's about as close to Bismarck as a person could get. Jamestown reservoir wouldn't be bad either since the wife and I both have family in Fargo and it would be centrally located as far as a place to meet.

Honestly its not bad I bought two of those U jug deals at Home of economy and bring down tell gallons of water a trip and then there is a service that will come in and pump your gray and black for like 35 bucks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33