Trout through the ice?

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never caught a trout through the ice but had the opportunity for the first time today. Unfortunately, I could never get one to commit well enough to the bait even though the bluegills loved the jig. So my question is what are some good lures/baits to try to ice some trout? I think that's what I'm going to try to set out and do the next time I go.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Full minnow under a bobber works well to. Then your hands can be open for a beer.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salmon eggs or Berkely trout dough formed in a ball around the hook is what I would try. That and the lively minnow mentioned above.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Genz worm loaded with waxies. most trout lakes don't allow minnows but they work well. Its a blast.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the small gill pills and I think they are called diamond jig...panfish jigs. I load em up with waxxies and that usually works. My other go to is a green swedish pimple with or without a wax worm. They are super fun to catch they come out of nowhere and by the time you mark them on the flasher/graph they are slamming the lure.

fenwick4life

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can't go wrong with a white 5" tube jig give or take on length tipped with a minnow. That set-up has iced a lot of lakers in my time.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Often just a good old bobber split shot and a chunk of worm will win out. Trout at times can get touchy about how much a bait is moving and will only go for a dead stick.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whole kernel corn right out of the can gobbed on a small hook has worked better than anything for me. Like dean mentioned, Quite often you just have to let the bait sit.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regarding minnows on trout lakes, check the regs as some trout lakes in ND have minnow restrictions.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
orange or red plain hook thru the back of a big fat lively minnow with a weight about a foot above it, then go fish in 1-3 feet of water under the ice close to shore or cattails.....you'll be busy all day if theres trout in that pond.

RM-Plains

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gumball Jig with a twister tail tipped with a worm . Fished all over MT had lots and lots of success. Also Swedish pimple , color depending on the bite, replace the treble with a single hook and tip with maggots or tip of worm.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is sort of a big deal back in the Hills. This may be another opp to try a sliver of pork:
th

th

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
orange or red plain hook thru the back of a big fat lively minnow with a weight about a foot above it, then go fish in 1-3 feet of water under the ice close to shore or cattails.....you'll be busy all day if theres trout in that pond.

This^^^ However, I would use the smallest minnow you can find and hook it VERY lightly on another rod and let the fish tell you what size bait they want.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
That clam tackle Caviar drop looks interesting for trout (maybe other fish too) when tipped with spikes or a waxie, or it could be designed to catch more fisherman than fish. That is what seems to happen to me, buy more tackle and only use what I already had in my box.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 178
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84