Hunting with the mrs

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How often does the lady in your life suggest a hunting trip? Does she go because you ask her to, or is she eveb the one to bringing it up?

mrs johnr has been working to finish her MBA for the second season now, in which she hasn't picked up her rifle/shot gun really at all. Prior she would come with a few times on bird hunts, and deer hunt till her tag was filled. She will fish in the open water season as often as possible, but never has liked standing on a frozen lake. I am starting to miss her coming with, but then again there are times i am glad she isn't with.

Do you guys bring your spouse with a lot, or at all, or just sometimes?

Just curious as to the frequency you guys get the wives out on your outdoor adventures.

I have a buddy who has his wife with all the time, and that kinda sucks too.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife comes fishing about a dozen times a year spilt between open and hard water. She does not go out hunting with me but will go bow hunting by herself and I occasionally tag along with her then. But I won't carry a weapon.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife fishes open water quite a bit. Hunting she usually fills her deer tag and thats it. Shes came out a few times for upland mainly just to enjoy the time outdoors. Girl stuff kids usually take up a good amount of her time. I think the lack of activities during the nicer wheather play a big part of this.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife will tag along with me open water fishing a couple times each year, she don't care if she fishes she just likes to relax in the boat. Will go out on pheasant opener to help walk, but that's about it. She use to ice fish with me a lot back in the day.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the wife bowhunting. Bought all the shit for her in the spring. She was pretty good about practicing and fast forward to the second day of the season and she smokes a full velvet buck. She has maybe picked that bow up twice in the last 4 years. Took her along pheasant hunting in regent, she wanted to hold hands while we walked. I obliged since I wanted to make it a fun trip for her and I knew I was about to hit every bar on the way back to Bismarck. Held hands, kick bird up, she doesn't let go. So that's the last time she's been pheasant hunting with me. She claims she wants to turkey hunt in the spring but we'll see. For now, she likes to tag along on the boat if it's nice out.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
My "better" half doesn't like going. She doesn't want to go in the boat, doesn't like camping and has gone hunting with me 1 time. The one time she went was this year when the gremlins had their youth rifle tags. When we got home she said "That was sorta fun. It would be more fun if I didn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn!" I looked at her, rolled my eyes and walked away. As soon as she got in the pickup she was out like a light until we were hunting, and she slept the whole ride home!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand how that gender can sleep so much. Wife is out before we get out of Bismarck on any distance of trip planned.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife tags along quite often. She knows that's about the only vacations we are going to get. Goes in the boat with me when she gets a chance and I'm going out by myself, she actually backs the trailer in and has backed it into the garage too. Goes bird hunting with me often but gets frustrated because she's not very good. Bowhunts by herself or I'll sit in blind with her but we will see how that goes, we lost a small velvet buck this year that she got alittle to far back and she's been just sick over it. She hiked around in the mountains last year elk hunting with me and the only time she wasn't to happy was when a snow storm blew in while I hiked ahead quick to look over the next couple ridges and she kinda panicked and didn't know what to do so she just hunkered down out of the wind until I got back. She was along for my antelope hunt in Wyoming and crawled through the sage and cactus and laid in the rocks and sage for 5+ hours while we waited for him to give me a shot that I knew I shouldn't miss. In fact she runs the range finder for me and reads me my drop charts. She rifle hunts with me for deer and has gotten a lot better but always wants a 150"+ but shoots the first buck we see and I just go with whatever makes her happy. The more that she learns the better it is getting, although it can be very tough sometimes, I've never seen any of my other hunting partners cry after missing a really nice antelope or a big whitetail.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife deer hunts every year and now the kid is hunting she wants to start shooting birds and such. She goes out on the boat pretty much every time i do. Only thing she really has no interest in is antelope. Wants to start bow hunting to some time

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife goes along often during rooster season, mainly to watch our dog(s) work. A bunch of years back I decided that if she was going to come with I better at least get her a shotgun of her own so she could at least help with the harvesting of birds rather than just being out on a walk about with me.:;:thumbsup During ice fishing season, she comes with about 50% of the time. Mostly in the warm permanent house or she says to give her a text if we are on to the fish and she will come out and join the frenzy. All in all I am just fine with her coming along as she isn't high maintenance and can load and unload her own gun and bait her own hook.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine will come ice fishing in the permanent once or twice per year as long as we are fully stocked with wine and chick flicks. She has yet to bird hunt with me but should go at least once this fall to watch the puppy work, just need to make sure it is a nice day so she is likely to go again.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would say my wife goes out about 1/4 of the time with me, she would like to come out more with me, but when the time is right for me to go she usually has a change of heart haha she did kill her first archery deer the weekend before last on a marginal hit which had her really bummed out until we found the deer piled up 200 yards away, thank goodness! she likes to be out in the boat but only on sunny nice days! She is a very fair weathered outdoors lady but i think she is starting to toughin up. This will be my first rut as a married man come november, we will see if she decided to tag along a couple hunts!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the wife bowhunting. Bought all the shit for her in the spring. She was pretty good about practicing and fast forward to the second day of the season and she smokes a full velvet buck. She has maybe picked that bow up twice in the last 4 years. Took her along pheasant hunting in regent, she wanted to hold hands while we walked. I obliged since I wanted to make it a fun trip for her and I knew I was about to hit every bar on the way back to Bismarck. Held hands, kick bird up, she doesn't let go. So that's the last time she's been pheasant hunting with me. She claims she wants to turkey hunt in the spring but we'll see. For now, she likes to tag along on the boat if it's nice out.

I'm pretty sure she was also convinced to carry your shotgun. So, since both of her hands were employed... you was eating a sammich? lol

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wife has never expressed much interest in hunting. Will sit in a deer stand to watch the deer as she thinks that is neat, provided the stand has a heater. Did shoot a deer one time but it wasn't much of an excitement for her. Absolutely no interest in getting up early to go lay in a waterfowl blind. Likes fishing in a boat occasionally and will fish in a fishhouse provided the heater is working and she can sit right next to it. Being cold at all is not something she is going to enjoy. On the good side is that she doesn't mind when I go and she realizes how much the time my kids and I have spent together in the outdoors is so valuable.

You don't have to share everything as a couple in a marriage. My wife has little interest in outdoor hunting and fishing activities just as I don't have much interest in shopping. We don't force each other to share these two activities together.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife is a good farm girl and jumps at any opportunity to come with.:;:rockit She did not know hunting / fishing coming from a dairy farm it was all work all the time. I introduced her to it and she quickly realized the fun in it many years ago. I am a lucky man and not ashamed to admit I have a winner much like JohnR says he has too.:;:thumbsup

The worst part for me was when she finished Hunter education many years back she then proceeded to point out all my flawed habits for a couple seasons after that but that has since passed. She even got her CCw permit last year.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife comes with when its her hunt.
she doesnt go with on the boys hunting trips

she does apply foe everything and i mean everything that i do.

ND deer, antelope, moose, elk,
MT- antelop
Wyoming- she has points for deer and antelope.

i love hunting with my wife it can be frustrating at times, more me moving to fast for her, rushing her, but i love spending time and seeing her succeed.

i would bet it amounts to half dz fishing trips in the summer a couple ice fishing in the winter and 1 good big game trip a year with her.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wife comes out on the boat with me pretty regularly. She baits her own hook, works the net to perfection, and this year has started taking fish off the hook herself. Cannot get her to come out on the ice...she is a Seattle gal, so doesn't mind the cool/damp but can't stand the hard freeze!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were going to get jiggy with it in the boat this spring, out by saddle butte, no other boats anywhere in site, as I was reeling up my line to accommodate the adventure, I feel that perfect strike, the just like that my dead stick starts bobbing, I pull in a nice double, and continue to catch fish until the spontaneity of the earlier moment subsides, and no jiggy ensued.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 177
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84