ND zebra mussels

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What amount of funding do they think they would need for ANS checkpoints?
Why haven't they been more proactive with ANS checkpoints, further infestation, etc?
Are they doing DNA water sampling for Asian Carp, specifically in the James River Basin?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last weekend in devils lake i was heading to my friends place in the frezon addition early saturday morning during the rain. When i drove past the cleaning station at eds i saw a wisconsin rig emptying their bilge and livewell while unloading fish. I called the warden and they were cited with a ticket. It sounds like lots of tickets are being issued now. I also received a call from the fisheries chief in bismarck and they are interested in hearing what the public would like to suggest for additional precautions for ANS . He said to send an email and then we could arrange a meeting to discuss the situation. I would like to ask people in the NDA community to share questions and ideas so that i can incorporte them into the email and discussion. Please post any ideas or questions regarding ANS on this thread and i will make sure to include them in my communications with the NDGF.

My solution as a duck hunter: increase bluebill populations! I hear those things love to eat some ZM num-nums.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather have them dump their sconi water up at the cleaning station. Makes me cringe when I see them pull the plug on the ramp and that water runs right into the lake.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look around, pull up a map, one can only hope to delay the spread. By how much? Not too sure. And what's a 'delay' worth? Money wise and Hastle. Obviously much less than being able to keep them out.

We have too much water to police and too many people coming and going. Heck, catfish are more popular every year as of late, and plenty of locals are putting boats in and out of the red. Wanna bet these locals swing over to DL every so often?

if Devils is chemically conducive to zm survival and reproduction, it HAS to be the most probable body of water for them to show up in next.

the hard water only hotspots should be able to delay invasion much longer, but the tourist lakes are officially fighting an uphill battle. Zm are on our doorstep.

I support scientific research into the matter, not checkpoints, decontamination sites, and more laws.

There are lakes in MN that are clean that are surrounded by invested lakes. Despite that fact, they have remained clean by prevention. Devils is a long ways away from any infested waters so I think natural contamination would be almost impossible. The only major factor would be human. Spending some money on human transfer prevention will be a lot less expensive than trying to get rid of the things once they are established. It's kind of like changing the oil on your car. You can spend a little every few thousand miles to prevent engine failure or just say the hell with it and replace the engine in short order.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last weekend in devils lake i was heading to my friends place in the frezon addition early saturday morning during the rain. When i drove past the cleaning station at eds i saw a wisconsin rig emptying their bilge and livewell while unloading fish. I called the warden and they were cited with a ticket. It sounds like lots of tickets are being issued now. I also received a call from the fisheries chief in bismarck and they are interested in hearing what the public would like to suggest for additional precautions for ANS . He said to send an email and then we could arrange a meeting to discuss the situation. I would like to ask people in the NDA community to share questions and ideas so that i can incorporte them into the email and discussion. Please post any ideas or questions regarding ANS on this thread and i will make sure to include them in my communications with the NDGF.

For what were they cited? Do ZM contaminate grass and pavement?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zebra.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clever. Do they affect grass and parking lots? The "insect picture" could be easily accomplished with a carcass and glue.

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are people that are double dipping and taking home dozens of fish over their limit going to give a shit about cleaning their trailer or draining their livewell because the law says they need to? Especially now that we are starting to see a lot more of these people in DL with boats. I'm all for preventing the spread of all this crap, but with all the morons that come fish here, it's inevitable.

I wish there was a simple solution, unfortunately it's another one of those things that no matter how much money is thrown at it, it ain't gonna work. I hope I'm wrong.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to write a feasibility study for the NDGF fisheries department on why we need mandatory ANS checkpoints like i want a hole in my head. But it is better than the lazy route of just laying over and letting it happen. These checkpoints should have been in place a decade ago when these infestations started moving west. If sconis started coming across the border with carcasses full of CWD things would be nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

This has become all bullshi'ite.
Yes every thing you say. For once just not be an asshat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pluck,

Those insects shed their shells before launch. Do you really think they could fly that way? The real threat is waterfowl as presented by Lycanthrope. Do you work for the govt?

- - - Updated - - -

SHUT UP...ENSLOW.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The stupid asian carp would really suck balls. After further review stations at all boat ramps would not be a bad idea.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will Zebra Mussels eventually get into Devils Lake or Sakakawea? Most likely, but the WHEN of that can be determined by some sort of ANS enforcement.

The WHEN, does matter if there is actually some research and money being spent on some sort of chemical or natural control of ZMs. Is there? I don't know.

Look at the clipping of the distribution maps below. The major outbreak into the MN and WI area seems to have happened in 1992-1995. That is over 20 years ago and we still don't have them established west of the Red.

I don't think its out of the question to say with stricter regulations and public awareness we could buy another 10-15-20 years. So would that be enough time for a realistic control to be created or discovered? Won't know that unless you try throwing $$ at both enforcement and research.

- - - Updated - - -

Pluck,

Those insects shed their shells before launch. Do you really think they could fly that way? The real threat is waterfowl as presented by Lycanthrope. Do you work for the govt?

- - - Updated - - -

SHUT UP...ENSLOW.

No, I never said or believe these insects would be the reason for a spread. Just a photo I came across that was interesting. When you mentioned the art project theory of pasting shells onto a bug a quick Google search showed many more of the same.

It plays into Lycan's topic of waterfowl/nature and shows that the spread can't all be controlled by us.

Attachments

Zebra Map.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the heck did ZMs migrate from the Mississippi River basin clear across to the desert southwest??

Also, I'm all for check stations and whatnot...could help stem the tide a bit. I mean... we've somehow managed to keep suckers out of Devils Lake, and God knows how many Sconi's still think they can put a sucker on a tipup here!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The stupid asian carp would really suck balls. After further review stations at all boat ramps would not be a bad idea.

How the hell would humans with watercraft spread Asian carp?!!

- - - Updated - - -

Those are disturbing maps Pluck; especially in the SW. WTF?!!

IMHO, this can only be due to birds.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the heck did ZMs migrate from the Mississippi River basin clear across to the desert southwest??

Also, I'm all for check stations and whatnot...could help stem the tide a bit. I mean... we've somehow managed to keep suckers out of Devils Lake, and God knows how many Sconi's still think they can put a sucker on a tipup here!

There are lots of suckers in Devils Lake. They have been there for decades. Carp was and still is a concern.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zebes are relentless bastards! Those bug pics are amazing and scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only are the bugs creepy, but they have freaking zebra mussels attached to them

- - - Updated - - -

Much like sharks with fricken laser beams on their heads

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41