ND zebra mussels

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole zebra mussle thing really sucks. Its only a matter of time before they spread across the state. How Devils has escaped them so far is baffling to me.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need to look to WY as the model to follow. Problem is ND G&F is far to lazy, chicken shit, lazy, hooked on the out of state $$ tit, lazy, in the business of keeping G/O's happy, lazy, ostrich head in the sand book smart street stupid, and lazy to enact anything that's take balls any bigger than the Keebler elf's.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You would think guides and outfitters would want to keep ANS out and that with tighter nr restrictions could drum up more business

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need to look to WY as the model to follow. Problem is ND G&F is far to lazy, chicken shit, lazy, hooked on the out of state $$ tit, lazy, in the business of keeping G/O's happy, lazy, ostrich head in the sand book smart street stupid, and lazy to enact anything that's take balls any bigger than the Keebler elf's.

You Sir, owe me ONE 16 oz beer and at least a travel pack of baby wipes to clean up the Coors Light pounder that came out of my nose, watered my eyes, and covered the table my laptop was sitting on. That is all!!!!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy or some chemist can explain --- i thought i heard the levels of pottasium chloride was too high in devils to thrive in - not saying they couldnt survive but that they wont take over the entire lake. That white chalk stuff that sticks ones windshield must stick in the filters the little buggers have. Plus the spirits take them away.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

is this the same game and fish that cant seem to figure out how to run a big game lottery? maybe they should take notes on a few things from WY game anf fish

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You Sir, owe me ONE 16 oz beer and at least a travel pack of baby wipes to clean up the Coors Light pounder that came out of my nose, watered my eyes, and covered the table my laptop was sitting on. That is all!!!!
Coors Light? You've changed.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone through the WYGF private inspector training. It is 8 hours long and LEGIT. It was extremely eye opening and informative. The WY program is aggressive but yet flexible in many ways. The WY legislature set aside good money as "seed" money for the program. The sale of R and NR Aquatic Nuisance Species (ANS) stickers goes towards this fund as well. With this money the state has several full time ANS folks along with tons of seasonal help. They also have the wash down equipment to take care of any decontaminations necessary. You show up at a reasonable time May through September and you'll run into a check station on the main roads into the state. If you are outside of this window, call up the guys at the GF and they will meet you to decontaminate. They are VERY flexible and helpful with this.

I can tell you from this training that this crap (ANS) is coming. SD just had another lake that is infested with mussels found last week. We also have a few others that are "questionable". There is no where to go but down with this issue unfortunately.

SD (and ND) need to get much more aggressive. First, $$$ needs to be put aside for this. I'll pay for an ANS sticker like WY does if that helps keep them out. And, education of the public needs to go mainstream. A website doesn't do it anymore. And, big penalties for anyone who is caught with them on their boat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coors Light? You've changed.

I know I should lose some blue num num points, but I didn't buy it. However, it was cold and in front of me, so I was drinking it at the time.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously I would like to know how we stop nature it's self like cormorant from spreading these ANS or are they not a problem as suspected

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Majority of the problem in mn was caused by man. Number 1 moving docks and lifts. 1 ballast ski boats. The ski boats imo should be outlawed.

- - - Updated - - -

No way can they clean the tank. If u look at the lakes that have it they have those types of boats on them

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously I would like to know how we stop nature it's self like cormorant from spreading these ANS or are they not a problem as suspected

I think the most promising chance at controlling them is to stop them from reproducing. I know Minnesota and probably many other universities are working on this.

I thought this was a good article.

nsgd.gso.uri.edu/source/michug94004.htm

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think restrictions need and fines need to be way tougher on these things. The real problem i see are the birds how does a guy control them and keep them from spreading ans

Yep. Time to get rid of the ducks geese and turtles. Seems like might be 1% of the possible culprits.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member

While not 1000% true, it is EXTREMELY rare for a bird to be able to transport zebra mussels from one body of water to another based on the training I attended. Frist, adult mussels need a solid substrate to attach to. Second, the immature mussels (veligers) are found in water and though they could be on a birds feathers or feet they likely don't survive most trips. And even after they get there must survive and reproduce.

Humans are the number one cause of zebra mussel transport from one body of water to the next. Any water left in a boat can have veligers in it and transfer to the next body of water. Adults attached to the boat are the other way. Fisherman with livewells are a big concern (those that don't completely drain) or water that is sitting in hoses. As others have said, ski and wakeboard boats with ballast tanks are another huge source of possible transport. Anything that can hold water is suspect.

Only way to kill them is a decontamination wash of super hot water. WY has one at each check station and at several major lakes along with multiple movable units. If there is even a question, you get decontaminated. Not that painful of a process with an average fishing boat.

Each state should be doing this IMO.

Coldfront

Established Member
Are you saying that there is no algae bloom in a lake with Zebra Mussels in it? I hate to bust your bubble but Lake Erie is full of ZM's and Lake Erie has one of the worst algae blooms in the country. So bad in 2014 the city of Toledo, OH had to stop taking water from the lake because the water treatment center was not setup to handle the severe contamination, people were told not to drink the water.

Great lakes and Lake Winnipeg both are full of zebras, giant pig walleyes caught there all the time. No stinky algae bloom every summer. I guess i don't see a problem...:;:stirthepot::: (kinda, just something to think about)

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
A solution will probably have to come from the people by way of the legislature. I will call mine and see what they think. Are we willing to fund this type of thing ourselves? That's about the only way it is going to happen.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
A solution will probably have to come from the people by way of the legislature. I will call mine and see what they think. Are we willing to fund this type of thing ourselves? That's about the only way it is going to happen.

I'm not willing to fund the inevitable. I too will contact my legislators if these straw-grasp ideas gain too much traction.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your thoughts on carpeted bunks? I was toying with the idea of roller bunks instead when it comes time to fix my trailer up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88