Ice Auger

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody tried to reopen an old hole with the SM electric? Or tried to drill connecting holes? I have very little experience with shaver blades, I've always had chippers.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody tried to reopen an old hole with the SM electric? Or tried to drill connecting holes? I have very little experience with shaver blades, I've always had chippers.
You can't do either of those with shaver blades.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looked at the Ion 8" with the 40 battery yesterday. My old Jiffy 3.0 is over 31 years old, and running pretty a okay, but feel the need for one that is quieter, faster, and requires no pesky cord pulls.

Is the Ion a way to go? I am not going to buy a drill, and the bit and all that other jazz, just want a complete single purpose ice auger.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've cut with a friends SM40v and my dad's Ion Gen3. Really couldn't tell you which is better cuz they were both awesome. I will say I liked the grip/feel/handle set-up of the Ion of the SM.

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Strikemaster 40 volt has been bulletproof here and with two extensions up on Winnipeg John.
I did put a Kdrill on it thou. If your not going to be drilling a ton of holes that new 24 volt ultra light stikemaster would be pretty sweet.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looked at the Ion 8" with the 40 battery yesterday. My old Jiffy 3.0 is over 31 years old, and running pretty a okay, but feel the need for one that is quieter, faster, and requires no pesky cord pulls.

Is the Ion a way to go? I am not going to buy a drill, and the bit and all that other jazz, just want a complete single purpose ice auger.

I've owned an 8" Ion for quite awhile. I'll never go back to gas. You wont go wrong in my opinion.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just bought the strike master 24 volt, very light working great on the thin ice we have so far.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Could you get a cordless drill adaptor for the Jiffy and put a Milwaukee drill on it? Jiffy augers spin backwards compared to the other brands/drill bits, so you'd have to put the drill in reverse. Maybe that's tough on the drill.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it may be the ticket for short to get a auger for a drill. self xmas gift --- Well it didnt take long and the sled drug the auger dewault back to the truck and the 30 year old came out. 5,0 battery dead need about 5 of em i guess. maybe spend 1000 bucks on drill and batteries and then finally have something to compare with the old jiff. My wife's face when the battery went dead -- priceless she was like why

Coldfront

Established Member
After using my friends K Drill I sold my Lazer Strikemaster and bought the so called 8" K Drill. I had a brushless Dewalt hammer drill so I went the Dewalt and also purchased a Clam Drill Plate. The torque these drills put out is unbelievable is the reason for the drill plate and it also is geared down. I sold my so called 8" (really 7.5) this year and bought the 8.5". Three years on the same drill and battery. Just make sure on the Dewalt that battery is 5 or more amps.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it may be the ticket for short to get a auger for a drill. self xmas gift --- Well it didnt take long and the sled drug the auger dewault back to the truck and the 30 year old came out. 5,0 battery dead need about 5 of em i guess. maybe spend 1000 bucks on drill and batteries and then finally have something to compare with the old jiff. My wife's face when the battery went dead -- priceless she was like why
How many holes did you drill, and what auger bit are you using? I have yet to need a second 5ah battery, although i think i was getting close last weekend after 45 holes in 12" of ice. Milwaukee drill/Eskimo 7" Bit

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
After using my friends K Drill I sold my Lazer Strikemaster and bought the so called 8" K Drill. I had a brushless Dewalt hammer drill so I went the Dewalt and also purchased a Clam Drill Plate. The torque these drills put out is unbelievable is the reason for the drill plate and it also is geared down. I sold my so called 8" (really 7.5) this year and bought the 8.5". Three years on the same drill and battery. Just make sure on the Dewalt that battery is 5 or more amps.

How many holes are you getting out of one battery --- 15-17 inch decent ice.

- - - Updated - - -

How many holes did you drill, and what auger bit are you using? I have yet to need a second 5ah battery, although i think i was getting close last weekend after 45 holes in 12" of ice. Milwaukee drill/Eskimo 7" Bit

I take 5 people including myself. We generally move 3 to 4 times. lets say 3 times - walleye bite am - perch midday and walleye end of day. Just a raw move itself - 20 holes --- not including finder holes. 60 holes and probably 30 finder holes. Lets do a normal jan day - 15-18 inches of ice.

I think of myself as being a non-mover compared to some that move all day. Add northern afternoon tip up session to my holes and were over a hundred. I run synthetic oil no smoke and always have a new blades if needed.

explain to me what drill setup will work for this ^^^^^^^^ i dont want to be buying a new drill every year either.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went from a drill setup to an Eskimo propane and am now regretting that decision. I feel like the power head takes up more room in the sled then I want. It was nice to have drill with a couple of batteries in the bucket.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short, If your drilling 100+ holes per day through thicker ice you probably need a dedicated electric auger like the ION G2 or Strikmasteer 40v. What your doing isn't really what the drill combos are intended for IMO, although with the correct set up they probably could but who knows how long a drill will last under that type of use.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No sure a drill set up would work for you [MENTION=219]shorthairsrus[/MENTION]; I run a dewalt with 5AH batteries until the ice hits about 20" on the old 8" K-drill with clam plate. I'd recon I get 15 holes per battery in 20" ice, but i don't run and gun like most people. My kids are young, I usually hit a morning bite and am home for lunch, or vice versa. Maybe a SM 40v with 4 batteries?!

I second your propane pains [MENTION=415]BP338[/MENTION]. I have a Jiffy Pro4 that i love, but it's reserved to staying in the truck, not my sled, unless it's very late season and i'm not walking very far. It pounds through ice like no auger i've ever had, but it's too damn heavy to pull around.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very interested in the 24V SM 8" auger due to the light weight and size of power head. I am debating weather or not to wait until next year to see more reviews first. I have a old Jiffy 30 that is bullet proof but sick of dealing with the weight, size and gas. Wonder if a guy had 2 batteries for it you could use it all year. That would be the bomb.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The current electric augers specs on a single battery with an 8" bit

Strikemaster 24v - 800"
Strikemaster 40v - 1600"
Ion G2 - 2000"

I would assume a drill with 5ah battery and 8" shaver bit would be around 400-500"

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
On advice of a close friend from my Fargo days, who also happens to be an ice fishing fiend, and a Scheels 30 year employee. I will be picking up the Strikemaster V40 10 inch, with an extra battery and extension.
He has fished 2 seasons with his, and multiple late ice trips to the big windy, and claims to have zero issue, and actually has never had to use the 2nd battery.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
On advice of a close friend from my Fargo days, who also happens to be an ice fishing fiend, and a Scheels 30 year employee. I will be picking up the Strikemaster V40 10 inch, with an extra battery and extension.
He has fished 2 seasons with his, and multiple late ice trips to the big windy, and claims to have zero issue, and actually has never had to use the 2nd battery.

I've drilled about 60 holes with mine set up the same way and it's been good so far.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 2
  • This month: 1
Top Bottom