Baiting Ban

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its only illegal if you get caught there is many who live in Minnesota who bait deer all the time even on state land that's because everyone uses these magnificent type tree condos in the trees with color tvs.
I did make the last thing up
Also you're not supposed to communicate with other hunters who are in tree stands but with texts now days and exceptional cell service people do it all the time.
He is right about human scent I have noticed that it works on mostly young bucks who would sniff and snort just pissed wondering where that sob was at, As far as taking shots at 100 yds, I watched guys in Wyoming take shots at 500 yards on blm land taking down muleys they would use a bi pod to hold up those cannons.
I'm more worried about all posted private land coming to north dakota

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
500 yards isn't far and you don't need a "cannon".

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't bait but that doesn't mean I look down on those who do....at least not to their face. ;)

Having said that, I also don't archery hunt anymore. If I were so inclined I'd probably drop a few apples here and there. For the most part the terrain in ND gives you plenty of chances with a high powered rifle. You don't necessarily HAVE to get close if you don't want to.

I do however position myself on various hills adjacent to various "feeding grounds". Baiting? I guess it depends on your interputation.

The CWD argument is BS.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess urine potentially contains prions. I don't see a problem using one of my dishwasher's apple scented candles; legal or otherwise. Good hand warmer. FYI: Making a fake scrape with your own urine is as effective as anything from a spray bottle. No shit.

No Shit as in "It really really works"? Or No Shit as in "Don't shit @ the scrape site"?

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is baiting contraption i placed last year...the effects were welcomed by myself.

[video]https://imgflip.com/gif/4ecr4p[/video]

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
500 yards isn't far and you don't need a "cannon".

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't bait but that doesn't mean I look down on those who do....at least not to their face. ;)

Having said that, I also don't archery hunt anymore. If I were so inclined I'd probably drop a few apples here and there. For the most part the terrain in ND gives you plenty of chances with a high powered rifle. You don't necessarily HAVE to get close if you don't want to.

I do however position myself on various hills adjacent to various "feeding grounds". Baiting? I guess it depends on your interputation.

The CWD argument is BS.
Well I use a 6mm Remington so most guns would be considered cannons to me, it could have been farther I dont know for sure but they even used someone who was there to calculate distance with a range finder. I guess that is the normal way people hunt there since there is no place to set up a stand or maybe its against the law to set up a elevated stand in Wyoming. I seen many blinds but never seen an elevated stand and I surveyed lots of private as well as publicly open land. Everything was around the Gillette area

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
to be clear... i believe the folks talking about 100 yard shots earlier were referring to it being done with a bow

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you put an attractant on the crossbeam?

No attractant used. It was a trunk from an evergreen tree that had died. They really like the sap. The licking branch gets used a bunch to.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
to be clear... i believe the folks talking about 100 yard shots earlier were referring to it being done with a bow
you do realize that would be 300 feet or a football field with a bow which to me seems to be a little unrealistic when most videos online are within 50 feet or closer

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/tagged-out/the-science-behind-the-100-yard-bow-shot/

It also took that arrow 1.027 seconds to cover 100 yards. Ten feet of drop and more seems to me awful careless attempt to take an animal at that distance.

Last edited:

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me a lot of the baiting that occurs has to do with leveling the playing field between those who have lots of land and those who don't.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just reading this makes me think I'll go rebait my sites and pull cards on my cameras.

If they are going to ban the baiting of deer than they should also ban all backyard feeding of song birds, squirrels, pheasants, and turkeys.
do have dibs are your trophy so far this year and if you do how do you inform those that is your pick asking for a friend

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I use a 6mm Remington so most guns would be considered cannons to me, it could have been farther I dont know for sure but they even used someone who was there to calculate distance with a range finder. I guess that is the normal way people hunt there since there is no place to set up a stand or maybe its against the law to set up a elevated stand in Wyoming. I seen many blinds but never seen an elevated stand and I surveyed lots of private as well as publicly open land. Everything was around the Gillette area
Loaded a whole bunch for a 6mm rem and 500 is just getting warmed up.

you do realize that would be 300 feet or a football field with a bow which to me seems to be a little unrealistic when most videos online are within 50 feet or closer

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/tagged-out/the-science-behind-the-100-yard-bow-shot/

It also took that arrow 1.027 seconds to cover 100 yards. Ten feet of drop and more seems to me awful careless attempt to take an animal at that distance.

Seen a couple different goats shot with a bow farther than that.

You need to get out more.

its like its 1984 still.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loaded a whole bunch for a 6mm rem and 500 is just getting warmed up.

Seen a couple different goats shot with a bow farther than that.

its like its 1984 still.
yeah seen that to one video was by tim wells who shot straight down which was still a great shot none the less

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31