Baiting Ban

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI - The ban has been expanded this year.

201A4258-A2B3-4F7F-B4C0-96C73D4F1418.jpg

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
They just keep inching their way across the state. I don't agree with it until they show a scientific study that baiting is the root of evil when it comes to CWD. Pathetic!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
drip drip drip

their position is pretty clear - lol

https://gf.nd.gov/sites/default/files/publications/baiting.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

this part slays me

Social Issues
• Fair chase is the ethical, sportsmanlikeand lawful pursuit and taking of freeranging wild game animals in a mannerthat does not give the hunter an improperor unfair advantage. Does hunting overbait create an unfair advantage?
The majority of the public does not hunt,but certainly has the voice to weigh inand make changes that negatively affecthunters if methods are viewed as unfair.
• Are we raising a generation of hunterswho don’t scout, learn deer behavior andread deer sign??

So they support the non-hunting public's ability to affect game/fish policy and laws regarding hunting? WTF. How damn dumb are they?

- - - Updated - - -

I am betting polls would show the public doesn't support mountain lion hunting. Better shut it down.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know one thing, since they have banned baiting around here the long range shot challenge has taken off.
Have watched videos of a 114 and 121 yard kills, God only knows how many shots it took and deer wounded to get that footage.
But guys are like you want to ban baiting in this treeless flat country..well then, FUCK IT time to start flingin.
It won't do shit for control of CWD either.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should ban trial cameras so people don’t think they own the deer that they get pictures of ;:;popcorn

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man there’s some guys on this site that hold ethics significantly superior to anyone else...... you wanna know what’s gonna ruin hunting for us, not bait piles, cameras, long range shooting, MEGA imagining on boats none of that the fact we as hunters and outdoorsman rip each other at the F’ing seams with our superior ethics.... my wife shot a dam good Muley full velvet buck this wknd. With kids In the blind with her, over a bait pile on a water hole ( yes a legal unit to bait) but you know what my kids learned to take 1/2 mile or more just to sneak into the blind as we knew these deer bedded ( from scouting) within 200 yards of this water they knew we needed a south wind, and if a little bait gets away from the TV screen the. So be it...............

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should probably ban myself... I’m a walking deer slayer. Not really fair to you younger guys.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put out 15 bushels of apples. The deer love em.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just reading this makes me think I'll go rebait my sites and pull cards on my cameras.

If they are going to ban the baiting of deer than they should also ban all backyard feeding of song birds, squirrels, pheasants, and turkeys.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put out 15 bushels of apples. The deer love em.

My 2 year old son and I went over to the neighbors yesterday and picked all of the apples on the ground. 3 square milk crates worth. Im starting him young.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Normal farming and ranching practices suchas grain spilled by farm trucks and combines, orfoods used to feed livestock, are NOT consideredbait. Food plots, scents or lures used to attractdeer are NOT considered bait."

Interesting....

The whole baiting thing is a joke. If I want to feed my local wildlife population, I will do what I wish. I'll give the deer/wildlife population the extra boost with fawns at their sides and I'll give them the extra boost when its -25 out and they need to load up on fat. I've got a 5ac food-plot where the congregation can be worse than what a bait pile would be.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you can transport heads out of 4A, but can't bait in 4A. How queer.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...
http://https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/regulations/docs/cwd/proc-cwd-2020.pdf

"Baiting.It shall be unlawful for an individual to hunt big game over bait or place bait to attract big gamefor the purpose of hunting in deer hunting units 3A1, 3A2, north of US highway 2 in unit 3A3,3B1, 3C west of the Missouri River, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B and 4C. As used herein, baitincludes grain, seed, mineral, salt, fruit, vegetable nut, hay, any naturally derived scent or lure(e.g. urine), or natural or manufactured food placed by an individual. As used herein, baitingdoes not include agricultural practices; gardens; wildlife food plots; agricultural crops; livestockfeeds; fruit or vegetables in their natural location, such as apples on or under an apple tree; orunharvested food or vegetables in a garden. This ban does not apply to wildlife managementactivities conducted by or under the direction of the North Dakota Game and Fish Department."

Seriously... not even scent???!!!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be hard to collect doe pee and next to impossible to collect estrus doe pee. That is why most scents in a bottle are collected at a game farm.

Trappers use fox pee to cover scent and it is more than likely collected at farms like where eyexer worked.

My brother was a trapper and took a bottle to high school. Sprayed it on doorknobs and such. The school almost went into lock down.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 4C tag this fall. Still trying to figure out how I am going to get the skull back home? I will NOT be cutting the horns off.

Euro mounts are a problem. Can't say i am excited about boiling a head (bring that much water with me?) in November. And even that doesnt get all the brain goop off unless you pressure wash, which is TOTALLY convenient in the middle of the badlands. ::: Last year opening weekend it was -10.

Anyone have suggestions? And sorry I wont be forced into leaving it at a taxidermist place.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 4C tag this fall. Still trying to figure out how I am going to get the skull back home? I will NOT be cutting the horns off.

Euro mounts are a problem. Can't say i am excited about boiling a head (bring that much water with me?) in November. And even that doesnt get all the brain goop off unless you pressure wash, which is TOTALLY convenient in the middle of the badlands. ::: Last year opening weekend it was -10.

Anyone have suggestions? And sorry I wont be forced into leaving it at a taxidermist place.

form a little hook out of stiff wire (coated wire - about coat hanger gage) and take a portable drill

reach into the spinal column hole in the skull with water dibbling down into the hole to flush out what your "brain shake". Work the rotating hook around, inspect, work it around, etc... Pretty soon it's clean as can be.

- - - Updated - - -

hook should be about 8 inches long - "J" formed on the end sized so it barely fits into and out of the hole

- - - Updated - - -

I've done it on four whitetails in last few years and it's foolproof

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Their baiting ban is nothing but a bunch of bullshit along with a lot of their other rules and regs lately. Sad how far common sense in the department has fallen the last 10-20 years. It's only going to get worse I'm afraid.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
FE876D1A-96EF-4BA5-A39B-26646AE77A40.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry, my auger didn't shut off so well. STFU, I feed them all year, what a joke, I've never found a dead one yet from the "expert's" diseases, just like you're not eating Round-Up with every loaf of bread or plate of spaghetti.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member

shut your tonneau cover.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you can transport heads out of 4A, but can't bait in 4A. How queer.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...
http://https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/regulations/docs/cwd/proc-cwd-2020.pdf

"Baiting.It shall be unlawful for an individual to hunt big game over bait or place bait to attract big gamefor the purpose of hunting in deer hunting units 3A1, 3A2, north of US highway 2 in unit 3A3,3B1, 3C west of the Missouri River, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B and 4C. As used herein, baitincludes grain, seed, mineral, salt, fruit, vegetable nut, hay, any naturally derived scent or lure(e.g. urine), or natural or manufactured food placed by an individual. As used herein, baitingdoes not include agricultural practices; gardens; wildlife food plots; agricultural crops; livestockfeeds; fruit or vegetables in their natural location, such as apples on or under an apple tree; orunharvested food or vegetables in a garden. This ban does not apply to wildlife managementactivities conducted by or under the direction of the North Dakota Game and Fish Department."

Seriously... not even scent???!!!

I guess urine potentially contains prions. I don't see a problem using one of my dishwasher's apple scented candles; legal or otherwise. Good hand warmer. FYI: Making a fake scrape with your own urine is as effective as anything from a spray bottle. No shit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88