Baiting Ban

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody worrying about a species jump from CWD had BETTER NOT EAT ANY BEEF!!!! Mad cow disease is also caused by a prion, so toss them T bones, all that burger in the trash, and you better swear off any beef fast food. We wouldn't want you to chance consuming a prion and becoming a liberal now would we.
I think you just found a new name for liberals.....PRIONS!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody worrying about a species jump from CWD had BETTER NOT EAT ANY BEEF!!!! Mad cow disease is also caused by a prion, so toss them T bones, all that burger in the trash, and you better swear off any beef fast food. We wouldn't want you to chance consuming a prion and becoming a liberal now would we.
I believe I got enough vax in the Farce to include an additional disgusting wound/scar against smallpox provided by a small "fishhook". I still get "sick" about twice a year and am "surprised". Despite being taught in primary school about the futility of a virus "vaccine" I submitted to a "few" injections "against" the flu since 1986. The stiff arm and sluggish "energy" proved fucking pointless as the next year always was "defense" against a new variant. I was thankful when the Farce went to a nasal squirt as I was able to snort a bit of Copenhagen and sneeze out a bit of my brain.

1673062396957.png

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally I find it interesting how we all admonish administration, politicians and the like for cherry picking/interpreting information for perceived agendas. Reading through this thread I see that both sides are guilty of the same if not similar opinion generation.

Reminds me again of a friend's saying "A man without data is just another smuck with an opinion". I too fall into the same trap.

To just pick "one" point and not the person at all, the opinion was voiced how CWD had grown in Colorado despite efforts to curb it, ie baiting bans. My devil's advocate stance (or contrarion viewpoint) is perhaps without their efforts it would have been even worse. Who among us is expert enough to make a valid statement one way or the other? Not me. Seems like solely an opinion to me. ?? I don't know.

Trust me, I do wish CWD would go away. There appears to be no cross species (ie to human) transfer that I am aware of but I may be wrong. ? I do know that my sister-in-law's sister just died of an aggressive form of Jacob-Kreutzfield (sp?) like disease this past fall. The doctors where stymied to come up with a reason why and what it was. Perhaps unrelated, but their family were staunch consumers of wild game (read venison). Until it hits closer to home, I too would sometimes shrug my shoulders and feel, "so what?" My interest level has increased.

Carry on.

Or maybe it was because she got the Covid vaccine.

Last edited:

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
PrairieGhost, every once in awhile you speak some truth.

In 2017 the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies tasked a committee writing a white paper about CWD. Resolutions, intended goals, and guidance towards getting federal grant money. Thirty heavily biased scientists and Doctors of Veterinarian Medicine statisticians gravitated towards the committee. These fellow travelers have been busy bees for years.

https://www.fishwildlife.org/applic...3/AFWA_Technical_Report_on_CWD_BMPs_FINAL.pdf

AFWA Technical Report on Best Management Practices for Prevention, Surveillance, and Management of Chronic Wasting Disease Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies,

Jen Ballard, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission,
Lou Cornicelli, Minnesota Division of Fish and Wildlife
Melinda Cosgrove, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Mark Cunningham, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Bob Dittmar, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Mark Drew, Idaho Department of Fish and Game
Hank Edwards, Wyoming Game and Fish Department
Heather Fenton, Northwest Territories Department of Environment and Natural Resources
John Fischer, Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study
Colin Gillin, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Daniel Grove, North Dakota Game and Fish Department
Anne Justice-Allen, Arizona Game and Fish Department
Megan Kirchgessner, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
Lane Kisonak, Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Wayne Laroche, Pennsylvania Game Commission
Mitch Lockwood, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Lindsey Long, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Jonathan Mawdsley, Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Brandon Munk, California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Daniel O'Brien, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Maria Palamar, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
Margo Pybus, Alberta Fish and Wildlife
Jennifer Ramsey, Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Annette Roug, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
Mark Gregory Ruder, Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study
Krysten Schuler, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Kelly Straka, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Margaret Wild, National Park Service
Peregrine Wolff, Nevada Department of Wildlife
Mary Wood, Wyoming Game and Fish Department

The ND Game and Fish Department has been holding up this 111 page document as the science. Yes, 30 statisticians put their names on it. They took it from State to State and had the resolutions amended and language subtracted until it became a wish list. There is no mention of food plots congregating deer because they simply (cherry picked) wished it out.

The Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies BMP's document has now been monetized by the CWD Research and Management Act or $35 million per year.

When the grant writing begins for agencies to get that money from USDA, they have a guidance document for USDA to adopt. Fox guarding the hen house.
How about that awesome CWD bill they just fast tracked through the feds?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/cwd-bill-passes-in-spending-package/

I know that our GnF gets federal funds for positive cases found here in the state, but I also wonder if that money is contingent on their participation and allegiance to the AFWA "best management practices"? If so, might explain why they are so happy to march their ban across the state, since this is a line item that AFWA recommends (page 33 of the document). This could shed light onto monetary motivation of the department, vs acknowledging historical data from other states who have implemented similar bans, that show no measurable success for curtailing the spread of the disease, but yet our GnF continues to ignore that information despite baiting bans appearing to be ineffective for achieving the desired result.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just so everyone is aware the North Dakota bowhunters association has come out in support of the game and fish on baiting bans so anyone who is a member or thinking about becoming a member consider that when it comes time to renew your membership and before you send them money

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just so everyone is aware the North Dakota bowhunters association has come out in support of the game and fish on baiting bans so anyone who is a member or thinking about becoming a member consider that when it comes time to renew your membership and before you send them money
Tman…Thanks for the update on NDBA. I first I was like…no way, that can’t be right. So I went to their Facebook page and sure as hell. They are supporting it because “Game and Fish are the experts”. Wow…someone has been drinking from the same pitcher of kool-aid. I predict Their paying memberships will decline by them supporting this bill. Does CWD only happen in the fall from deer to deer? This winter I see deer in herds of 40 to 100+. Then in the spring when the Doe’s drop there fawns they are pretty much by themselves most of the summer. Then is the fall I see some some herds of 10 or so with some bachelor bucks in the mix. But if their focus to ban is to prevent grouping, they need To find a way to spread out the large feeding groups out there right now.

Just my .02 cents!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna say this bout baiting. Seems early on, you might have every deer in the country side scattered over a gazillion random piles of corn. And this time of year, it's nearly impossible to get a deer over a similar sized pile. In fact, it's hard to find them anywhere other than huge feed yards. So, you do the math. Baiting seems like a minor issue. Question... how long til it leaps back to the livestock herd where it likely began.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna say this bout baiting. Seems early on, you might have every deer in the country side scattered over a gazillion random piles of corn. And this time of year, it's nearly impossible to get a deer over a similar sized pile. In fact, it's hard to find them anywhere other than huge feed yards. So, you do the math. Baiting seems like a minor issue. Question... how long til it leaps back to the livestock herd where it likely began.
CWD is a TSE misfolded prion same as scrapie in sheep. Using genotyping, scrapie was bred out of sheep years ago.

CWD has been in the western USA a long time and deer are adapting living longer. Right now CWD is spreading fast in the eastern USA because deer have a lot of the 96GG genome or the most susceptible gene.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-northeastern-deer-susceptible-disease-west.html

Cliff:
Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
from that article “Even manmade features such as highways appear to have influenced deer movement, guiding where CWD in deer has been discovered.”

good grief 🤦🏻‍♂️

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tman…Thanks for the update on NDBA. I first I was like…no way, that can’t be right. So I went to their Facebook page and sure as hell. They are supporting it because “Game and Fish are the experts”. Wow…someone has been drinking from the same pitcher of kool-aid. I predict Their paying memberships will decline by them supporting this bill. Does CWD only happen in the fall from deer to deer? This winter I see deer in herds of 40 to 100+. Then in the spring when the Doe’s drop there fawns they are pretty much by themselves most of the summer. Then is the fall I see some some herds of 10 or so with some bachelor bucks in the mix. But if their focus to ban is to prevent grouping, they need To find a way to spread out the large feeding groups out there right now.

Just my .02 cents!
I think I messed…I think it is NDBA supports the bill that strips NDGF from having the power to stop hunting over bait. If I am reading HB 1511 right.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now there are dogs that can detect CWD. It should help manage, and I quote, "the ongoing struggle to manage Chronic Wasting Disease in deer, elk, moose, and other cervids".

How about let's repurpose the dogs to sniff cancer and cut costs on MRI's, CAT scans, etc.? Or to help control the invertebrates responsible for midge fever (EHD)? Maybe I'm missing something......

https://www.fieldandstream.com/cons...et-dogs-to-sniff-out-chronic-wasting-disease/

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
from ^^^^
"NDBA does not have a stance on the ethics of baiting as our members are diverse and some engage in lawful baiting, and some do not. We all want to see the deer herd managed in the way most beneficial to the resource. If the deer herd is significantly reduced by disease or mismanagement, it would have a significant impact on our members to hunt deer in this state."

Like CULLING??? :unsure:

Honestly - you can't make this crap up. It's absolute madness.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88