Baiting Ban

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
bravo,
Which District do you live in? Did you vote? Which square headed schmuck politician did you help elect?
31. I did vote. I helped elect Rohr and Holle. I don’t consider either schmucks. Why do you ask?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the way, Google “peer-reviewed CWD management”. Plenty out there to read on management practices around the continent. Some things have had success in controlling the spread, some haven’t. I ask, what is it you would like to see the G&F do?
Plz cite an example.

I’d like them to stop pretending that baiting makes any difference - or that they can even measure a difference if it did.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Pfizer shot "study" was peer reviewed. By about 10 pages into the 100+ page paper I concluded it was bullshit.

I'm not interested in peer reviewed studies when all the peers are in cahoots.

Show me a study that convinces me.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plz cite an example.

I’d like them to stop pretending that baiting makes any difference - or that they can even measure a difference if it did.
Guy I have to reiterate; I’m not for banning baiting and there is no such thing as a definitive “bait bans work” study. “Scientific analysis of baiting restrictions is typically complicated by the absence of a negative control.” Bait bans are always reactive to CWD detection. Impossible to prove one way or another. Common sense says deer are going to congregate naturally. Common sense also says that bait piles could (however minimally) also contribute to the spread. All I am saying is that the G&F has the duty to do something, and I don’t want people who have no qualifications making that kind of decision.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the way, Google “peer-reviewed CWD management”. Plenty out there to read on management practices around the continent. Some things have had success in controlling the spread, some haven’t. I ask, what is it you would like to see the G&F do?
Didn't use google but instead tried Bing.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=“peer...efig=df7ab146a1ad4808b12889a7ba369d23&ntref=1

Very first thing up:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/cwd-bill-passes-in-spending-package/

Funding for Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Other Conservation Efforts Included in $1.7 Trillion Spending Package​

A few major wins for conservation and wildlife management worked through Congress on Dec. 23, as part of the end-of-year, $1.7 trillion federal spending bill. Once signed by President Biden, the package will increase national security funding and domestic spending, and direct billions of dollars in aid to Ukraine. Within that sprawling bill, however, are a few items that hunters and conservationists should know about. First among them is the Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act, which will make $70 million available to state and tribal wildlife agencies each year to better understand and battle CWD.

The CWD bill was tacked onto the larger package after Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) stopped the bill from passing the Senate via unanimous consent earlier in December. It had originally passed the House by a vote of 393-33 in December 2021. Sen. John Hoeven (R-ND) introduced a Senate version in April 2022 and it was met with a groundswell of bipartisan support.

I snipped some redundant paragraphs out of this article. Sen. Rand Paul is a conservative and thought the price tag was very high.

The spending bill also increases the capacity for other conservation work across the country. The National Wildlife Refuge System received a $23-million boost. The North American Wetlands Conservation Act received $50 million, while $81 million was earmarked for sagebrush habitat projects. In addition, a tax loophole that allowed investors in donated conservation easements to claim bigger tax deductions based on inflated land appraisals has officially been closed after increased scrutiny from the IRS.

All these Bills were dropped into the hopper of the Omnibus Spending Bill. $1.7 Trillion.

“These scams threaten the integrity of legitimate conservation programs that protect critical habitat and open spaces we all enjoy,” Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) told the Wall Street Journal. “Our legislation to shut down these transactions is long overdue.”

The bill passed the House early in the afternoon on Dec. 23 after many reps had already left for the holiday, their votes communicated by proxy. The final tally was close, and the bill passed 225-201.

“The holiday season just got much brighter,” Land Tawney, president and CEO of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, said in a press release. “We are excited that our congressional champs found a way to include important provisions to our community and get them over the finish line. Their recognition of the vital roles public land, water and wildlife play in our every day lives is much appreciated. Their investment in science and overall management is applauded.”

Merry Christmas Land Tawney.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess 1.7 trillion to wildlife and land conservation is a win in my book. 70 million spread throughout every state and tribal agency is a paltry sum in the grand scheme of things.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I am saying is that the G&F has the duty to do something.
I couldn’t disagree more in cases where they
1. have no hard evidence bait bans are effective
2. they themselves encourage deer congregation with state funded food plots
3. it unnecessarily limits opportunities for young/old archers (harms the very activity used to manage populations)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have the duty to do something about EHD then as well I guess.

Maybe some social media psy op that changes hunter attitudes about their inability to do anything useful about EHD. :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy cow, I had no idea that culling is planned by NDGF. WTF

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/st...cle_c4a0dfe4-23c3-11ed-ba28-7b748f62e8ec.html

Scientific knowledge of infection rates has advanced in recent years, and Game and Fish will be focusing on three thresholds when determining hunting unit license allocations -- first detection, 5% prevalence and 10% prevalence.
Bahnson said 5% "suggests that you're starting to approach an exponential rate of increase," and that "once you get up to 10%, you're probably there."
"When we reach 5%, that's when we start to turn up the dial on license allocations," he said. "Once we get to 10%, we would start to think of more drastic measures -- adjusting seasons, possibly having a sub-unit to really focus in harvest pressure where we need it."
Bahnson said hunter land access is needed for the plan to work.
"You can't just sprinkle in a bunch more licenses into a unit. Access is really critical. At 5%, we'll redouble our efforts to improve access through private lands efforts," he said, referring to Game and Fish programs that offer landowners incentives to open their land to public hunting.”

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy cow, I had no idea that culling is planned by NDGF. WTF

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/st...cle_c4a0dfe4-23c3-11ed-ba28-7b748f62e8ec.html

Scientific knowledge of infection rates has advanced in recent years, and Game and Fish will be focusing on three thresholds when determining hunting unit license allocations -- first detection, 5% prevalence and 10% prevalence.
Bahnson said 5% "suggests that you're starting to approach an exponential rate of increase," and that "once you get up to 10%, you're probably there."
"When we reach 5%, that's when we start to turn up the dial on license allocations," he said. "Once we get to 10%, we would start to think of more drastic measures -- adjusting seasons, possibly having a sub-unit to really focus in harvest pressure where we need it."
Bahnson said hunter land access is needed for the plan to work.
"You can't just sprinkle in a bunch more licenses into a unit. Access is really critical. At 5%, we'll redouble our efforts to improve access through private lands efforts," he said, referring to Game and Fish programs that offer landowners incentives to open their land to public hunting.”
Culling is asinine. Let’s kill all the deer because the deer are going to die.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
bravo:
it has been tried. db

NW Minnesota due to bangs disease from rodeo stock brought in and Wisconsin due to CWD
It was my understanding sharpshooters kill 2500 deer in NW Minn. and not one tested positive for brucellosis. DNR

Last edited:

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Culling is asinine. Let’s kill all the deer because the deer are going to die.
That's the 1.7 trillion dollar plan, ban baiting and kill them all but hooray for more money 🙄

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm baffled by the gyrations and mental gymnastics these people use in reaching their 4. Discussion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18tl7v63i...lized culling in stabilizing chronic.pdf?dl=0

It is entirely possible that I'm just getting too old and can no longer follow along with the scientific thought process. ☹️

Is natural selection for immunity no longer a thing? How will that progress if we kill ALL the deer in a CWD hotspot???
https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2020-09-01/genetic-selection-may-reduce-cwd-among-farmed-deer

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Freedom'
And also, it shows we are taking care of CWD db

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
One question I have is, If the "Prions" that cause CWD live on/in the ground for an extended, yet unknown, duration, how long will the G&F have to kill every single deer in an area to make sure new deer don't move in and consume those prions and then transfer them to other deer? Are they even considering this or is a non issue? Forgive my simpleton brain, but I have questions, as simple/stupid as they may be.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
did look up brucellosis in NW Minn which they found in 2005. Called it bovine TV. Same or not, do not know. But sharpshooters from DNR have killed a lot of deer over the years to get rid of it and that included no feeding of wildlife. From what i found around 20 deer were found with the disease over these years in the thousand killed and tested.
Not sure if this means anything but there were a lot of infected cow herds and my understanding that came from imported rodeo stock from Texas. Concern was deer ate feed that was in the cattle feeders. db

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
1672801342377.png

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Science science science. When one of my sons went to seminary before entrance he was questioned by professors. One question was " what does science say about creation". My son had a very good answer that many on here should ponder. He said "science doesn't say anything people do".
One only needs look at the funding coming from Wsshington t o see the corruption. Science isn't corrupt people are. When one party is in only a retard would not understand that writing a proposal and adding something about global warming will take you from no funding to $250K per year. Then there are times a scientist gets a very useful project going and some citizens make fun of it because they are not trained to understand it. Ignorance is a dangerouse thing.
Science is not corrupt. crooked, or stupid, people are. So no one misunderstands I woukd agree with Fritz post above. However not all the time because he cherry picks as the post mentions, but then nearly everyone cherry picks to support their agenda, and that's the problem. Science and data are good things until a biased statistician gets their hands on it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93