Measure 2: Marijuana Legalization

Will you support the legalization of high THC cannabis in ND?

• Yes

Votes: 71 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 54 36.5%
  • Don't care... Hand me another beer!

Votes: 23 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenhorn

Honored Member
The people who are going to break the law don't care if things are legal or not. Voting no doesn't stop criminals from doing criminal activity.
Why make it illegal to drive while under the influence of marijuana or any other regulation of it? Or any law at all?

I get your argument with regards to gun control keeping guns out of law-biding people, but I don’t think this comparison is relevant. Guns have use besides recreation, primarily self-defense as your gun control concern acknowledges.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Montana legalized cannabis in 2020 and is on pace to generate nearly $600 million in revenue for the biennium (2 year budget). They are just getting started. Montana is closest in population to North Dakota with roughly 29% more people. If you adjust for population (29% less people) and use a similar 20% tax rate, North Dakota should be a $425 million dollar biennial industry and generate nearly $85 million in tax revenue for the biennium. For reference, the Prairie Dog Fund is roughly $250 million. Obviously this is ballpark math but we think it's a reasonable conservative estimate. Also a $200+ million dollar annual industry would rank in the top 20 for the state. Initially, only sales tax will apply but the legislature will be in charge of adding any additional taxes, like they proposed in 2021. What if we used this revenue to reduce taxes?
Sure population numbers may be relatively close, but the values and lifestyles of Montanans, particularly with the influx of west coasters, are very different than those of North Dakotans.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why make it illegal to drive while under the influence of marijuana or any other regulation of it? Or any law at all?

I get your argument with regards to gun control keeping guns out of law-biding people, but I don’t think this comparison is relevant. Guns have use besides recreation, primarily self-defense as your gun control concern acknowledges.
I get that it isn’t an exact comparison. The point I was trying to make is the people who would do the things others are worried about are going to do it if it’s legal or not.

Cannabis has a variety of uses outside of just recreation. I don’t care about “partying” one bit. I personally know probably a dozen people, good, hardworking dads who have tried cannabis to help them sleep and deal with anxiety issues. It’s hard to accept that a plant with no side effects is illegal, but prescription meds that often make things worse are considered ok.

I get that most dudes don’t like to talk about stuff like that, but majority of people I know have, or are dealing with stress related issues. Personally, I sometimes wreck myself with the amount of pressure I put on me and at times would just like to quiet my brain and sleep and I know I’m not alone in that.

The issue is, currently if someone gets a medical card, they are unable to purchase or own firearms. In the measure there is a section that maintains firearm rights to those who use cannabis lawfully.

TLDR: people want to be able to manage anxiety, chronic pain, sleep in a way with very few, if not no side effects and still be able to hunt when not using it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve used crutches since I was in junior high. In the long run, they always hurt more than helped, unfortunately.

But I support people crutching because I know life sucks sometimes.

I learned to eat frogs too late in life.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get that it isn’t an exact comparison. The point I was trying to make is the people who would do the things others are worried about are going to do it if it’s legal or not.

Cannabis has a variety of uses outside of just recreation. I don’t care about “partying” one bit. I personally know probably a dozen people, good, hardworking dads who have tried cannabis to help them sleep and deal with anxiety issues. It’s hard to accept that a plant with no side effects is illegal, but prescription meds that often make things worse are considered ok.

I get that most dudes don’t like to talk about stuff like that, but majority of people I know have, or are dealing with stress related issues. Personally, I sometimes wreck myself with the amount of pressure I put on me and at times would just like to quiet my brain and sleep and I know I’m not alone in that.

The issue is, currently if someone gets a medical card, they are unable to purchase or own firearms. In the measure there is a section that maintains firearm rights to those who use cannabis lawfully.

TLDR: people want to be able to manage anxiety, chronic pain, sleep in a way with very few, if not no side effects and still be able to hunt when not using it.
So we should not have any laws then? Legalize heroin, fentanyl, cocaine, and the likes? People are doing it anyway. I get what you're say but don't we have to draw a line somewhere? Once most of these groups start making inroads they keep moving. Decriminalize it, make if for medical purposes, and then ultimately full legalization. If this passes you can bet at sometime in the not so distant future you'll see a push to legalize other recreational drugs.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we should not have any laws then? Legalize heroin, fentanyl, cocaine, and the likes? People are doing it anyway. I get what you're say but don't we have to draw a line somewhere? Once most of these groups start making inroads they keep moving. Decriminalize it, make if for medical purposes, and then ultimately full legalization. If this passes you can bet at sometime in the not so distant future you'll see a push to legalize other recreational drugs.
Yes, we do have to draw a line somewhere, but I think we should be capable of looking at each substance individually. We have “drugs” that are already legal that from both a health and an impairment side worse then cannabis. When you look into it, cannabis and those other drugs you mentioned aren’t even comparable in their effects on people.

I’m not trying to be confrontational at all, I have just recently realized that my view on it was wrong and try to share what I’ve figured out with other people who are the exact same as I was about a year ago.

Tobacco = addictive and causes cancer
Alcohol = destroys your liver, can be addictive, causes severe cognitive impairment.
Cocaine = can cause aggression and lead to heart attack, as well as, can be addictive
Fentanyl = can kill you, is addictive
Heroine = addictive, causes severe health issues
Cannabis = has been shown in trials to have a variety of health benefits. Is not chemically addictive. Causes munchies and laziness when being consumed.

I agree that we have to have lines, but we have to be thoughtful in where we draw those lines.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard pass from me. My wife and I lived in Denver for four years, worked with a great homeless ministry, and have seen the negative effects of legalized marijuana.
I always say, marijuana use may not make people homeless, but it certainly keeps people homeless.
So you would be for banning booze also than. It has caused more problems than every other drug combined but for some reason because it has been deemed “legal” it’s ok.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure population numbers may be relatively close, but the values and lifestyles of Montanans, particularly with the influx of west coasters, are very different than those of North Dakotans.

So what % of differential in tax revenue per capita should we expect between ND and MT ?

My point either went over your head or you don't care about politicians pulling the wool over your eyes. . If you don't mind politicians deliberately and grossly misinforming the public on what they are voting for, then I guess you should be ok .
I don't like it one bit and won't sit back and quietly watch their BS get swept under the rug and be a polite peon to our elected politicians. Not on this issue or any issue , never , ever.

I'd be right with you with a no vote for recreation if we had reasonable medical access but the dictators who were involved with medical cannabis changed the whole intent of that bill and tried to make it as unaffordable as they possibly could while lining their deep and corrupt pockets.

IFishND

2022 and people are still scared of a little marijuana. Comical. I don't smoke, but I don't care if you do. Legalize and tax it. There's already SHITLOADS of it coming through the area.

For what it's worth, the local dispensaries are selling low quality garbage. The patients are not getting what they need. It's beyond a joke for what they are selling and what the prices are. Complete ripoff.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m guessing 90% of child abuse and molestation occurs by people on booze. Lowers inhibition - including evil.
My wife worked for cps for 8 years and that is a fact. Evil shit done to kids with booze being a factor almost every time. She never took a kid from some one who was only smoking weed.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
So you would be for banning booze also than. It has caused more problems than every other drug combined but for some reason because it has been deemed “legal” it’s ok.
Nope. My argument is more pragmatic than based on general principles. I would argue the benefits of legalized alcohol overall outweigh the negatives. My argument is that the negatives would outweigh the positives with legalized recreational marijuana.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope. My argument is more pragmatic than based on general principles. I would argue the benefits of legalized alcohol overall outweigh the negatives. My argument is that the negatives would outweigh the positives with legalized recreational marijuana.
Can you elaborate on that? Because I’d be willing to argue the contrary.

I don’t like the way argue sounds. Discuss, I’d be willing to discuss the contrary.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sorry guywhofishes, I had to steal it since it fit so well.
1667063615001.png

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, voting on something strictly because of a preconceived principal is the same as saying “I’m not willing to think critically about an issue, instead I’ll vote the way I’ve been taught to think.”

I’m a conservative guy. So many times I’ve been frustrated with the current political situation because people vote by “feeling” not fact. And this is one issue where I see fellow conservatives doing the exact thing they are critical of liberals for doing.

If you do the research and can honestly say you don’t think it is a positive change, then by all means, it is your right to vote no. But I hope you see the frustration someone could have when they’ve done their due diligence to understand why they are voting the way they are and they when they talk to someone with opposing views there answer is “because I don’t think the benefits outweigh the negatives”. But haven’t really demonstrated what those negatives are (outside of unfounded talking points of politicians).

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Cannabis = has been shown in trials to have a variety of health benefits. Is not chemically addictive. Causes munchies and laziness when being consumed.

I agree that we have to have lines, but we have to be thoughtful in where we draw those lines.

Hard for me to believe smoking weed doesn’t cause lung damage, it’s just not a statistic……yet.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
can someone post the latest stats on mj use in high school or young adults since states have legalized MJ for medical and recreational use.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14