Crazy Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting In North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't listened to the podcast yet so i may be way off on my information. The big part for me is if they hunters were actually allowed to be in that spot. If it is true that they were not supposed to be near the property line then I don't even know if hunter harassment can stick. I don't know about the extortion or bribery as i'm not sure how asking for money to hunt an area is any different than access/trespass fees in places like wyoming but maybe north dakota's laws are different. I am not educated enough to form a solid opinion on that. As a small landowner with family and friends land around, there is lots of behind the scenes agreements on hunting and access that people don't know about. If i have a deal with my cousin that they get to hunt the boundary of mine and his and if i tell someone to stay away from hunting near my cousins land and they do it anyways i would expect both of us to be pissed.
Listen to the podcast and it will clear up all those questions. They did hunt the field the next two days just set up in the middle to avoid conflict.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it actually makes it all the way to the courtroom I hope the judge throws it out of court. Based on what i've read/watched so far , I don't think any charges will stick. All this video is going to do is make the kid rich and cause moral injury to hunters and landowners both. Like I said in my first post, we've all been had.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it actually makes it all the way to the courtroom I hope the judge throws it out of court. Based on what i've read/watched so far , I don't think any charges will stick. All this video is going to do is make the kid rich and cause moral injury to hunters and landowners both. Like I said in my first post, we've all been had.
So your ok with a landowner running some one off some one else’s land? This has happened to other people why does this guy get a pass to keep acting this way? What if he would have came up talked like a normal human would this video have ever happened? People need to be accountable for their actions

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasn't there so I have no idea what was said other than what I read and see on social media so based on that alone, I'll wait to see what other evidence comes out before I come out for or against either party. All I'm saying is I'm not quick to condemn either side based on what I know about this. Nothing more/nothing less.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been in a similiar situation of hunting the wrong side of a section - ass chewed worse then Jeff's attempt at ass chewing. Its all hows its handled - cus next day we had full permssion to to hunt both sides. And yes i told the guy i was from Fargo :cool:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've only had my ass chewed one time a long time ago. I was driving down a section line and apparently a gal and kids were stalking a deer on the other side of some land. I must've spooked whatever deer they were after. The section line lead to a dead end so I turned around and headed back where I came from. As I was heading back a truck came screaming toward me. She got out and chewed my ass for messing up their hunt. She said she owned the land on both sides so there was no reason for me to be down that section line. I have never seen someone so pissed off in my life. I got back to my friends farm that wasn't too far away and told him about it. He laughed and said "so you got to meet ??" He said she does that all the time to people she doesn't know and only owns some of the land on either side. He said to tell here F off next time and drive away.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
"all how its handled"? other than a rolling camera, i can't possibly see how these kids could have handled this any better.
My worry is that in the end, the whole, unedited video of the incident will be made public and I fear this won't be such a one sided douchebaggy debacle...

As for everyone saying the farmer was doing nothing wrong because he was just demanding money to continue to hunt. THis is true up until the point right before the warden shows up. Right before the warden showed up the farmer is recorded, multiple times, saying "pay me half the price of the fine and I'll call the warden off". This is blackmail and yes it is a crime. I would even venture a guess that it might even rise to the level of extortion. Not 100% sure on that part though unless the farmer is a member of the local government or something like that.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
So your ok with a landowner running some one off some one else’s land? This has happened to other people why does this guy get a pass to keep acting this way? What if he would have came up talked like a normal human would this video have ever happened? People need to be accountable for their actions
Im not ok with that... but we have to remember the court goes by laws and rules not what someone thinks is right or wrong. Did he actually run them off?? Were they forced to leave?? If he didn't forceable make them leave...I don't know what law was broken. I thought I read they hunted the same field for a couple days? Sadly ethics don't equate to law and legalities. What we want and think isnt the same as what is liable. To be clear, I'm not taking sides as I think both are wrong.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDCC 20.1-01-31: This law reflects North Dakota's hunter harassment provision. Under the law, no person may intentionally interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife on public or private land by another or intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife on public or private land for the purpose of disrupting a lawful hunt.

Depending on if they find these guys were in fact on his corn, he not only announced that he was going to flare birds as revenge for ruining his morning, he was caught on video doing so multiple times.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya that could get him! I wonder though if the edited footage would also put kids in harm's way which I suspect they'd both drop out and call it a wash.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you listen to the podcast the kid who was with his grandpa and grandpas brother says he hopes that guy doesnt get charged with any thing and it just is over with. I think it looks edited because it is over 3 hours time that he keeps driving back up to them. So i suppose they cut when he drives away and start recording again when he drives back up. All this going on while people 5 hundred yards over the hill are shooting ducks the whole time. Who the kid talked to so he didnt park and mess up their hunt.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your avatar is freakn' awesome Kurt. I just now paid attention to the whole pic.

Anyways back to the penistry...("penistry" was not flagged as a misspelling. WTF)

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this was Jeff’s cousin’s land why did he tell them to stay away from the section line? Because he knows his cousin is a crazy dickhead ? He must not like Jeff very much if he let these kids hunt the field for 2 more days. If they pissed off one of my cousins I would let them hunt my land anymore! They make it sound like these kids were hunting where they didn’t have permission.

I have a hard time believing Mr Erman . We will wait for the DA to determine if any charges are really needed.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member

Son of the landowner involved in viral duck hunting video shares his side of the story​

Oct. 31—GRAND FORKS — A man whose father was recorded in a viral video showing a dispute with duck hunters in North Dakota's Eddy County says there's more to the story than the video shows.

The video, titled "Crazy Duck Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting in North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)," has been viewed more than 1.4 million times since being posted on Sunday, Oct. 23.

As the Herald reported on Oct. 27, the video shows a group of hunters who were set up along the property line of a harvested bean field when the neighboring landowner drove up in a side-by-side vehicle, saying they were touching his property, a harvested corn field, and that the spot they set up had spoiled his hunting plans for the morning.

The video contains extremely strong language and viewer discretion is advised.

Dustin Erman, whose father, Jeff Erman, was shown in the dispute, said the hunters had gotten permission to hunt the harvested bean field, which is owned by his cousin, but were told not to set up near the property line without permission.

"They were told to stay away from that area," Dustin Erman said. "Also, that video, these guys hunt and they do videos all the time, they edit (stuff) all the time. They edited out every single thing they said to provoke that farmer to get to that point."

Jacob Sweere of Madison Lake, Minn., who posted the video to his hunting and fishing YouTube channel, said he is waiting until the investigation into the incident is complete before answering any questions about the video.

James Myhre, district game warden for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department in Sheyenne, N.D., responded to the incident after receiving a call from Jeff Erman and conducted the follow-up investigation.

In an email Monday morning, Eddy County State's Attorney Ashley Lies said she couldn't comment since the case remains an active investigation. Lies said she anticipates charges will be filed this week, at which time she would provide additional information about the case.

Dustin Erman, who farms his father's land, said he was in Rochester, Minn., when the Oct. 21 incident occurred but talked to his dad over the phone while the incident was happening.

The area is a major flyway corridor for migrating waterfowl, he said, adding he's had "probably 30 to 50 calls" this year about duck and goose hunting on the property.

"Because of this video, farmers are posting their land and they are denying permission to hunters because they don't want to be in the next video," Dustin Erman said. "So, all these kids have done is wreck it for a lot of good hunters out there that are respectful, that go the extra mile to get the permission."
Funny thing is if you give permission for someone to hunt your land you can kick them off for any reason at anytime! Seems like a ploy to make them sounds like the victims when they were the ones without standing! This instance has nothing to do with hunters not getting the proper permission if the kids really were allowed to hunt there again.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny thing is if you give permission for someone to hunt your land you can kick them off for any reason at anytime! Seems like a ploy to make them sounds like the victims when they were the ones without standing! This instance has nothing to do with hunters not getting the proper permission if the kids really were allowed to hunt there again.

Only time will tell. I didn't write the article, I only posted it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53