House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is this Inline Spoiler thingydingy?
1673541630016.png

That's neat.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hearing date has been set.

https://www.ndlegis.gov/assembly/68...s/bh1151.html?bill_year=2023&bill_number=1151

Home

Main navigation​

Find a billFind my legislator
Year 20232021ss2021201920172016ss20152013

View All Bills

68th Legislative Assembly (2023-25)

HB 1151​

AAmendmentMMarked Up
EEngrossment$Fiscal Note
HJHouse JournalSJSenate Journal
OverviewVersionsActionsVideoHearingsTestimony
Search:
DATETIMEHEARING TYPECOMMITTEEROOMDESCRIPTION
01/209:00 AMBill HearingHouse Energy and Natural ResourcesCoteau ABRelating to baiting deer for huntingSubmit Testimony
Showing 1 to 1 of 1 entries

LINKS​

CONTACT​

North Dakota Legislative Council
State Capitol
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505
Phone: 701-328-2916
Fax: 701-328-3615
Email: lcouncil@ndlegis.gov
Copyright © 2023 North Dakota Legislative Council

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rumor control said the Board of the ND Bowhunters Association is coming out in opposition of this Bill for the same reasons as the Boards of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and ND Wildlife Federation.

Are there any members of NDBHA who have received this letter in opposition?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fritz:
A friend who is a member of ND Bowhunter told me they will come out oppose.
I have sent my respond in, in favor.
Calling up the bill on the internet there were 6 comments. 5 in favor one opposes. I feel some good comments.
Person that opposes stated we need to trust game and fish as they know what is best.
In this case they do not know. They are driven by the agenda that they need to do something, and this is the best they can come up with. At this point we only have common sense as, so little is known.

They do not weigh in on the benefits which I feel are many.
Please get involve. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got your first like of many. db

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
CWD is a slow progression disease and it takes years to have a study group of animals. Obviously it has to be a controlled environment.

There used to be two federal facilities in Wyoming and two in Colorado doing nutritional studies on mule deer. They had CWD at all four back in 1967. bravo, call them and ask about their program.
Wasn't that how CWD started? One of those facilities, I believe the one in Colorado had deer in close proximity to sheep that had scrappie which is the sheep version of CWD. Then those deer either escaped or were transported somewhere else.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, they housed them with sheep infected with scrapie's. When the mule began to die they killed them all and limed the pens. (1967) New mule deer introduced to those pens again began to die. They gave some to zoos and turned the rest free. (Colorado Wyoming)

The zoos penned their mule deer next to their elk. The elk got it but mated making more. Zoos sold excess animals to ranchers. A Veterinarian in South Dakota raising elk ended up with some. Thinking they had pneumonia he lost a few, sold a few. His animals tested positive in 1997.

https://www.fishwildlife.org/applic...3/AFWA_Technical_Report_on_CWD_BMPs_FINAL.pdf

Page 7

Movement of infected live animals is considered one of the greatest risks for spreading CWD to new locations (Williams et al. 2002; Joly et al. 2003; Travis and Miller 2003; Belay et al. 2004). Movements of wild animals via migrations or dispersal have been implicated in the spread of CWD (Miller et al. 2000; Conner and Miller 2004; Miller and Williams 2004; Miller et al. 2006; Potapov et al. 2016) including probable transmissions from New Mexico to Texas, West Virginia to Virginia, Wisconsin to Iowa, and from Saskatchewan to Alberta. (I don't know what we were paying these guys but it was probably way too much) CWD also has been spread via human-facilitated live captive cervid movements including 1) the spread of CWD to 38 captive elk herds in Saskatchewan that received elk directly or indirectly from a single infected herd (Argue et al. 2007) that apparently imported infected elk from South Dakota.

NDbowman, they include their sources (Williams, Joly, Travis, Miller) to impress upon people their data collection. But did they tell you where the guy in South Dakota got it from? No, that wouldn't fit the narrative.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to know the names of all four research facilities in Wyoming Colorado.

Fort Collins Foothills Wildlife Research Facility
Sybille Wildlife Research Facility Wyoming

Looking for the other two this below popped up.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...asting-disease-linked-fort-collins/878097002/

The first documented case of CWD in Canada was at the Toronto Zoo 1981 from deer they received from a zoo in Denver.

Chronic wasting disease timeline​

1967: Wasting syndrome is observed in captive mule deer at the Colorado State University wildlife research facility in west Fort Collins.

1975−81: Wasting syndrome is observed in Toronto Zoo mule deer transferred from the Denver Zoo.

1979: Recognized in captive mule deer at Wyoming wildlife research facility.

1981: Detected in wild elk in Colorado.

1985: Detected in wild mule deer in Colorado and Wyoming.

1996: Detected in a captive elk farm in Saskatchewan; 38 other linked farms eventually found positive.

1997: Detected in captive elk facilities in South Dakota.

1998: Detected in captive elk facilities in Montana and Oklahoma.

(Fritz tidbit) The facility in Montana purchased animals from the Vet in South Dakota. I do not believe he had very many. They were all incinerated at $8,000 per head.

1999: World Health Organization indicates no evidence CWD is transmissible to humans, but advises that exposure should be avoided.

2000: Detected in wild mule deer in Nebraska and Saskatchewan.

2002: Colorado establishes guidelines to minimize transport of high-risk carcass materials. First International CWD Symposium is held in Denver.

(Fritz tidbit) Carcass and disposal options may be regulated someday by the (EPA) or Environmental Protection Agency. There are nine federal members of the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. EPA is one.

2002: Detected in captive elk in Minnesota, wild and captive white-tailed deer in Wisconsin and Illinois, mule deer in New Mexico and elk in South Dakota.

2003: Detected in wild mule deer in Utah.

2004: Detected in wild elk in New Mexico.

2005: Detected in moose in Colorado.

2008: Research indicates CWD may be a plausible explanation for local deer population declines in Colorado.

2010: Detected in captive white-tailed deer in Missouri and wild white-tailed deer in North Dakota and Virginia.

2016: Detected in wild elk and white-tailed deer in Arkansas and wild reindeer in Norway.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
And don't forget to tune in to your talk radio KFYR tomorrow. Ted Nugent is going to be on.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I spoke with my NDBA rep and I support their position that wildlife management should be left up to the professionals at NDG&F, not the politicians.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Put a uniform on, a badge on your chest and a gun on your hip, a computer on your desk with a diploma for book learning and you become a profession with all the right answers.
And then when asked you state you're not sure but need to do something and ignore all that comes with common sense. db

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Run unopposed, get elected and suddenly you know better than someone who's dedicated their career to ND wildlife conservation. I have to admit, the NDFB picked the right topic to enflame the masses and get hunters to do their bidding for them. Do you think guys like GST and Fritz really care about your agility to bait? This bill is about the G&F / Farm Bureau power struggle.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spoke with my NDBA rep and I support their position that wildlife management should be left up to the professionals at NDG&F, not the politicians.
They are a bunch of elitist snobs. Back in the early 1980s the NDBH president appointed me as rep for region seven. I put on an archery clinic at Gun and Reel here in Jamestown charging $15 to tune a bow, or free if you were a NDBH member. Since membership was only $10 everyone joined. That really ticked off the president because he evidently didn't want to endanger his dictator position. He appointed reps like me then they, not the membership were expected to reelect him.
In the end he canned me for talking to the governor. At the time the ND Game and Fish director had retired and it was up to governor Olson to appoint a new one. Little did I know the governor had been given a name from the NDBH and told it was unanimous with all the representatives. It was the first I had heard of it. I called the gov and he asked if I would call and give my recommendation at 9:00am the next day. We had about 70 members in our local club here in Jamestown and they approved my position. So I called the gov and said " we don't care who you appoint, only that it be someone with a demonstrated concern for North Dakota Wildlife and related natural resources". He had me on speaker and the president of the NDBH was sitting across the desk from him at the time. Gov Olson sent me a thank you letter the NDBH not so happy.

Yes I know Fritz story time again.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Run unopposed, get elected and suddenly you know better than someone who's dedicated their career to ND wildlife conservation. I have to admit, the NDFB picked the right topic to enflame the masses and get hunters to do their bidding for them. Do you think guys like GST and Fritz really care about your agility to bait? This bill is about the G&F / Farm Bureau power struggle.
Pretty easy solution. Prove the bait ban is necessary (EFFECTIVE) or drop the ridiculously unscientific baiting bans on private property.

Dropping the ban won't change the CWD situation in the slightest.

But will they?... Nope. It's about "principle" now. Dogma. Power. i.e. nothing to do with game management.

Their own policies and lack of listening to feedback are what turned this political. FAFO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 16
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5