House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
cwd-info.org is one of those data collection sites.

"The science in support of the ban on baiting and feeding is strong and comes from a number of diverse scientific sub-disciplines (veterinary medicine, wildlife ecology, biochemistry, physiology, etc.). Consequently, there is no single comprehensive study or paper that, by itself, demonstrates the CWD-related effects of baiting and feeding of wild deer (good or bad). Evaluating the science relative to baiting and feeding requires integration of scientific evidence from several different sub-disciplines."

Mr. Pike, lots of talking heads, nobody saying anything.

"A discussion of CWD in a review of the scientific literature on captive deer done for The Wildlife Society (Professional society for wildlife biologists, managers, and researchers; publisher of 3 premier peer-reviewed scientific journals on wildlife ecology and management)… “Concentration of deer and elk in captivity or in the wild by artificial feeding may increase the likelihood of transmission between individuals.” (DeMarais et al. 2002, p. 6)."

Mr. Pike, I have only attended one Wildlife Society meeting. They are not open to the public. They brought in a speaker and he said, "the management of wildlife should not reside with the legislature, it should be placed squarely in the hands of highly intelligent trained wildlife professionals."

Mr. Pike, you are not reading science, you are reading data. The USGS or United States Geological Survey collects data. Located in Jamestown, the Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center. One David Allen Brandt works there. Mr. Brandt is also on the board of the North Dakota Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/north_dakota_chapter_board

Dave Brandt, BOD

Dave_Brandt.png
Dave grew up in the agricultural landscape of Iowa and learned at a young age the implications of limited access to limited resources for those who yearn to spend their free time in the great outdoors. After graduating from Iowa State University, Dave moved to an outdoorsman’s paradise called North Dakota to begin his career as a wildlife biologist for 27 years. Unfortunately, Dave watched the same history of commercialization and loss of access that he witnessed in Iowa unfold in his new home. This is the same plague that has decimated hunting in many states for those with modest means.

"In order for future generations to enjoy any semblance of what we have been so blessed to enjoy, it is imperative that we defend those special places remaining, which belong to all Americans, from those who only think with their pocketbooks or care only about the bottom line."

Mr. Pike, read that bio. Whoa.
David Brandt was also a sponsor of the Clean Air 5% oil revenue rip off, past president of the ND Wildlife Federation, a sponsor of the fair chase folly, a former moderator on NODAKOUTHOUSE.

He collects data.

If 30 guys like that exchange each others peer-reviewed data/science, is it science?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Might it be possible for an exemption of some kind to allow your activity? A certain # of permits that could only be used by your org.
I dont believe if they get permits, why other people cant get permits.

We all know Skoal ( Clint ) in a wheelchair and hunts with a crossbow and rifle. And Im sure there are other hunters weather it be age or disability that benefits from baiting

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz, would it be science if it supported your opinion? I bet it would be. I’d like to read your bio as well.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz, would it be science if it supported your opinion? I bet it would be. I’d like to read your bio as well.
I can understand if you do not like my approach. I really do not fault the ND Game and Fish. They are getting their marching orders from the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies.

https://www.fishwildlife.org/landing/membership/member-list

All State Game and Fish Departments are members.

Governmental Members

U.S. State and Territorial Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Arizona Game and Fish Department
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife
Connecticut Bureau of Natural Resources
Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Georgia Wildlife Resources Division
Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources
Idaho Department of Fish and Game
Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Indiana Division of Fish and Wildlife
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service
Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Minnesota Division of Fish and Wildlife
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks
Missouri Department of Conservation
Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Nevada Department of Wildlife
New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife
New Mexico Game and Fish Department
New York Division of Fish and Wildlife
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
North Dakota Game and Fish Department
Ohio Division of Wildlife
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
Pennsylvania Game Commission
Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife
Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources
Washington, DC Fisheries/Wildlife Division
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
West Virginia Division of Natural Resources
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Wyoming Game and Fish Department

U.S. Territories
Puerto Rico Department of Natural and Environmental Resources
Virgin Islands Department of Planning and Natural Resources
U.S. Federal Members
Bureau of Land Management
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Fisheries Service
National Park Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture - APHIS/Veterinary Services
U.S. Department of Agriculture - APHIS/Wildlife Services
U.S. Department of Agriculture - Forest Service
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
U.S. Geological Survey

Contributing Members

American Bird Conservancy
American Clean Power Association (ACP)
American Fisheries Society
American Sportfishing Association
Archery Trade Association
BASS LLC
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
Bat Conservation International
Boone & Crockett Club
Canadian Wildlife Federation
Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Ducks Unlimited Canada
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
Fur Institute of Canada
Fur Takers of America, Inc.
Island Conservation
Jack H. Berryman Institute
Mule Deer Foundation
National Audubon Society
National Bowhunter Education Foundation
National Marine Manufacturers Association
National Rifle Association
National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc.
National Trappers Association
National Wild Turkey Federation
National Wildlife Federation
NatureServe
The Nature Conservancy
North American Grouse Partnership
North Dakota Natural Resources Trust
Outdoors Tomorrow Foundation
The Peregrine Fund
Pheasants Forever
Pope and Young Club
PERC: The Property and Environment Research Center
Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation
Renewable Energy Wildlife Institute
Resource Management Service, LLC
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
The Ruffed Grouse Society
Safari Club International
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership
The Wildlife Society
Wild Sheep Foundation
Wildlife Management Institute

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Daryl Lies just announced he will be hosting Ted Nugent of Hunter Nation on Monday's edition of Your Talk which airs weekdays from 9-11am Central Time on AM 550, FM 99.7 and the iHeart app.

They will be discussing baiting bans and CWD.

Daryl and Your Talk replaced Scott Hennen's show in this time slot on KFYR, and it has been a great change. Daryl allows callers ample time even if they disagree. He has excellent guests, and Daryl is knowledgeable about outdoors unlike Hennen.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hennen sucks - 24/7 shill for corn, gold coins, and crude

don’t even get me started on that hot tub sales clown and his “curative properties of water” shpeel

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't fault talk radio hosts for questionable advertisers. My issue with Hennen is he's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the ND swamp establishment, so he sounded more and more like a democrat as time went on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't fault talk radio hosts for questionable advertisers. My issue with Hennen is he's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the ND swamp establishment, so he sounded more and more like a democrat as time went on.
He goes beyond running ads - personally goes to bat for them over and over and over and over.... even when they EFF up or are corrupt or problematic

He defends their industry as if it's God (at least oil and corn) and works that shill into his discussions/monolog consistently. He also sucks up to powerful politicians without fail. Never a hard interview.

Basically it's the money and power hour every hour. I'm a conservative - but the boot-licking is off the charts with that guy.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The National Agricultural Genotyping Center does assays and one of the initial reasons for starting the laboratory was Chronic Wasting Disease. However, the $50 million the George W. Bush Administration appropriated to CWD ran out in 2012.

The National Agriculture Genotyping Center switched to mapping/sequencing of corn/grains. They are private not government and did it in little time. Right now they are working for apiary figuring out colony collapse disorder in bees.

Other States wanted this lab. North Dakota had to compete for it. It's located in Fargo. I think a little grant money would go a long way at this facility.

https://genotypingcenter.com/

https://farmflavor.com/north-dakota...typing-center-boosts-research-in-north-dakota

The NAGC is also using a multiple testing strategy for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), a neurological disease devastating wild deer populations. CWD testing presently involves examination of deer brain tissue under a microscope.

“We’re developing an assay to test live deer, using blood or saliva samples,” O’Neil explains.

And the final CWD test will go beyond disease identification. “There are genetic markers associated with the natural resistance or susceptibility to contracting CWD,” O’Neil says. “Along with the test to identify whether CWD is present, we’re also developing a molecular genetic test that allows us to say, ‘This animal has the susceptible trait,’ or ‘They have the resistant marker.’”

Private deer farms could start using the dual-pronged test when it is available, and the test could benefit future CWD management in wild deer populations.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Private deer farms could start using the dual-pronged test when it is available, and the test could benefit future CWD management in wild deer populations.
Would the game and fish do the management, or would it be an Ag group using grant money?

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would the game and fish do the management, or would it be an Ag group using grant money?
CWD is a slow progression disease and it takes years to have a study group of animals. Obviously it has to be a controlled environment.

There used to be two federal facilities in Wyoming and two in Colorado doing nutritional studies on mule deer. They had CWD at all four back in 1967. bravo, call them and ask about their program.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does that have to do with your post? I’m asking you what you’re advocating for. Your post about the NAGC studying CWD and grant money leads me to believe you want a private entity managing the state’s game population.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does that have to do with your post? I’m asking you what you’re advocating for. Your post about the NAGC studying CWD and grant money...............stretch........... leads me to believe you want a private entity managing the state’s game population.
That was quite a leap.

Solving the riddle of CWD would lead to healthy herds of deer and elk, benefiting everyone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 65