House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
First things first nobody should listen to anything BHA has to say. this group is ridiculous look at what they sponsor all the time, anything they can do to restrict hunting opportunities if it doesn’t fit their “ethics” it always seems like. To me I don’t care about bait ban as I don’t hunt that way, but unless they can prove it is detrimental to deer herds. Then don’t infringe on private property rights when it comes to hunting.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
While they are at it we need year round thermal hunting bill

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Land Tawney CEO of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers in DC lobbying for more deficit spending.

1673330881422.png

Mr. Pike

Established Member
He is not, but he does support it.

Unless by behind it, you mean he supports is then which yes.
He says he supports baiting because of the disable veterans, but I'm sure because of he wants to shoot deer with his buddies and clients for his outdoor show.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live out of yhe city limits in what you woukd call a bedroom community with large lots. I and I know at least three neighbors feed deer. Last year I drove 70 miles to pick up corn at an elevator that had convenient loading. I fed 2800 pounds of corn over the year. I feed year around because I enjoy having them around even if they feed on my apples, pears, cherries, etc. I do notice if I feed they eat less of my trees, and definitely less of my wife's flowers. I did shoot one with a bow years ago simply to take a deer on my own land. The highlight was a muledeer buck fawn at the feeder this morning. Muledeer around Jamestown are about as common as frog fur.
Baiting isn't magic, and this year there is still some standing corn 1/4 mile south of me. Cars wiped out the best buck coming to my yard, and a very small fawn that was always alone. Will I shoot another deer in my yard. I doubt it because the nice bucks rarely come during legal hours. The deer in my yard are fewer than the neighbors corn field, and dont touch noses anymore often. I dont know what the fuss is, but I dont see a biological point. Like others I'll change my mind with real data.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
He says he supports baiting because of the disable veterans, but I'm sure because of he wants to shoot deer with his buddies and clients for his outdoor show.
Man, do you have any personal opinions on the bait ban or this bill that don’t have to do with someone else? it’s pretty clear through this post and some of your others you don’t like John. Cool, how about you deal with that with him? I don’t know what your hang up with him is (and honestly, I don’t care to know), but it definitely isn’t healthy to hold on to that resentment.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live out of yhe city limits in what you woukd call a bedroom community with large lots. I and I know at least three neighbors feed deer. Last year I drove 70 miles to pick up corn at an elevator that had convenient loading. I fed 2800 pounds of corn over the year. I feed year around because I enjoy having them around even if they feed on my apples, pears, cherries, etc. I do notice if I feed they eat less of my trees, and definitely less of my wife's flowers. I did shoot one with a bow years ago simply to take a deer on my own land. The highlight was a muledeer buck fawn at the feeder this morning. Muledeer around Jamestown are about as common as frog fur.
Baiting isn't magic, and this year there is still some standing corn 1/4 mile south of me. Cars wiped out the best buck coming to my yard, and a very small fawn that was always alone. Will I shoot another deer in my yard. I doubt it because the nice bucks rarely come during legal hours. The deer in my yard are fewer than the neighbors corn field, and dont touch noses anymore often. I dont know what the fuss is, but I dont see a biological point. Like others I'll change my mind with real data.
Game and Fish has no jurisdiction over feeding of wildlife. They do have jurisdiction over method of take. You are safe.............for now!!!!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I read comments about people in favor of a baiting ban I can’t help but think they are butt hurt about something else hunting related. Anyone who thinks baiting plays a significant part in CWD can’t have their head screwed on straight.

Yesterday I was out for a rip across the state, and I observed several groups of deer herded up in areas clearly not designated for bait, but there they were.

Let’s just start arresting deer getting to close to each other OR better yet, let’s just kill them all so we don’t have CWD anymore.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the game and fish establish food plots, are they not inviting deer to congregate in a designated and confined area different from what naturally occurs? Are they not part of the problem? What is acceptable and what is not when it comes to luring in and providing food other than what naturally exists?

Last edited:

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, the same could be said for EPA making sweeping regulations and not elected officials. When agency oversteps citizens rights, legislators need to step in.
So where does it end? Live bait now allowed in lakes where it’s banned? No more trapping type/location regulations? Why just baiting deer? See this bill for what it is, an attempt to weaken the game and fish. From the same old bad actors and bureaus every session. Notice it’s shifting again to landowner rights?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks to me like NDGF is maybe going to be asked to defend a poorly contrived and inconsistent position. They implemented regs that affect a lot of people, especially the elderly and disabled.

I’d say somebody at NDGF might have decided to err on the ethics side of a difficult choice and will be asked to defend that decision. I don’t see a big threat of this being a slippery slope to more legislation of similar nature - but who can say this day/age. Not much makes sense anymore.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are trying to use the government to regulate the government. It's that easy. Right now they can just do as they please. It doesn't matter if it is backed by science or an agenda.
If you want to call special needs people trying to preserve their ability to hunt bad apples, that's on you.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hopefully as we discuss this issue on here, we can come to some kind of common ground, quit bitching about each other statements and get the job done that needs to be done. db

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting info wct12. I spent a couple minutes looking up deer tag numbers for 3F2 over the years and what I found was very interesting. In 2010 the deer tags were 400 wt buck, 1200 wt doe, 800 any buck, and 1200 any doe. In 2019 there were 1000 wt buck, 1300 wt doe, 850 any buck, and 850 any doe tags. In 2022, AFTER THE EHD outbreak of 2020, deer tags were wt buck 850, wt doe 850, any buck 1300, and any doe 1450. Which means that in the unit most paralyzed by bait bans, they had an INCREASE of 850 deer tags between 2010 and 2022 in spite of having the highest incidence of CWD. Why don't you ask the GnF if CWD is such a dangerous and lethal deer disease, why did the deer population increase to a point where the number of deer tags had to INCREASE over the past 12 years?? Why didn't the deer populations crash due to CWD??
What they have been doing in units with CWD is they up tags to kill more deer to rid the disease they hope. Wipe most of them out and start new crop of deer with hopefully no CWD. Same in other state's

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope G&F doesn’t try to bring an ethical argument to this. To me anyway, using bait/attractants isn’t unethical.

Writing it into law with ambiguous language that says the department “may not issue rules or adopt a policy or practice prohibiting baiting” is not only why I’m opposed, but also why I believe it may have a hard time being signed. I also think the game and fish failed when they brushed the issue aside during advisory board meetings this year.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are trying to use the government to regulate the government. It's that easy. Right now they can just do as they please. It doesn't matter if it is backed by science or an agenda.
If you want to call special needs people trying to preserve their ability to hunt bad apples, that's on you.
Edited: misread post.

Last edited:

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope G&F doesn’t try to bring an ethical argument to this. To me anyway, using bait/attractants isn’t unethical.

Writing it into law with ambiguous language that says the department “may not issue rules or adopt a policy or practice prohibiting baiting” is not only why I’m opposed, but also why I believe it may have a hard time being signed. I also think the game and fish failed when they brushed the issue aside during advisory board meetings this year.
I had a hard time with the wording as well, however, I contacted some of our representatives and clarified that if in the case new evidence, can it be changed, and they assured me yes.
What else can we do besides take the issue higher. The public is treated like children and disregarded, there needed to be a way to make our voices heard. Right now it's our issue, and for some people it doesn't have any bearing on their lives. But what happens when the next thing affects you? Then you try and plead your case to deaf ears. It's not right.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51