House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's hell to be old. I still have my slide rule and i can still run that.

But this computer. I found out how to do this site by self-taught but podcast and how to respond on the internet site of bill 1151 ect. Forget all that as my kids and grandkids are not around. Maybe the library. db

wct12

I hope everyone remembers the stance the north dakota bow hunters association is taking when it comes time renew your memberships with them and before you send them any more money
Our family remembers this from the last time the game and fish tried to send this through the legislature and they backed it. Haven't been members since.

wct12

This is where we enter the circular conversation. Yeah, there is no way to prove a bait ban works or doesn't since populations don't work in a vacuum. The division director's quote was "It’s more likely to be spread when they’re pulled together in times of year when they normally aren’t.” Basic probability and statistics would back that claim. Do you disagree? And they have listened. There have been calls to ban baiting entirely, yet they compromised and adopted the policy in place where its only banned in the vicinity of confirmed disease. Seems nobody for this bill is considering the big picture issues it poses.
Do food plots and intercept feeding programs make deer congregate in times of the year that they aren't?

They say CWD lives for years in the soil.. so wouldn't having a food plot in the same spot year after year cause deer to congregate at times of the year when they wouldn't be, at close knit locations? Or do only piles of bait make deer congregate?

wct12

Run unopposed, get elected and suddenly you know better than someone who's dedicated their career to ND wildlife conservation. I have to admit, the NDFB picked the right topic to enflame the masses and get hunters to do their bidding for them. Do you think guys like GST and Fritz really care about your agility to bait? This bill is about the G&F / Farm Bureau power struggle.
I would be willing to bet GST, who has been permanently banned from this site for awhile, does care about your ability to bait, and will be down to testify for more then just this 1 bill. If you knew much back story on him like I do as he is my father, but can't defend himself on here because someone with a different opinion blocked him permanently.. he is very avid into archery, and is a mentor at the youth archery program at our local church. Since my childhood when we were able to bait, 150+ people, including many youth shooting their first deer, have harvested deer over a bait pile at a known yard in our yard, with a outstanding recovery rates. Heck, you can count the number of deer out of the 150+ that haven't had a recovery is the low single digits, actually under 5. Since the baiting ban, the number of people that have harvested deer out of our yard can be counted on one hand...

If your opinion on my dad is that he is only in this to fight the game and fish, you are sorely mistaken. Do I think quite a few people, myself and my dad included, think an agency with an appointed director and unchecked power by "we the people" should have some checks and balances, absolutely. But you will be hard pressed to find someone that has been more involved in local politics then he has, whether it be this bill or the slough of others he has testified at in the past will continue to testify at in the future.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe he can come back if he wants. All can be forgiven by all with the passing of time. This is not like Pete Rose. Anybody?

As i stated in a prior comment of mine those who have written against the bill with the statement game and fish knowns what is best, and we need to do as they say and not go against those with the knowledge.

That is not how life works and especially when there is doubt in what they say. Most everybody is wrong a time or two in their life. Take Bidden. Do we all follow him because he is president? Poor example, i guess. db

Last edited:

wct12

Looks like a lot of posters on here have a real bone to pick with North Dakota Bowhunters Ass'n. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but they need to check the facts before they spew and degrade their dislike.
NDBA represents hundreds of outdoorspeople, and fight for the betterment of wildlife and sporting opportunities on the North Dakota landscape. It's good for bowhunters, but also serves to protect general sportspeople and the outdoors and it's wildlife they love!
NDBA basically say that politicians know a lot less than trained professionals, researchers, and field experience when it comes to wildlife management.
Let the ND G & F watch over our wildlife...far before an elected "know-it-all".
We, the common folk of the ND outdoors, have our chance to voice our opinions and thoughts to the G & F at any time, plus at the Advisory Meetings held around the state.
I proudly support the NDBA, and have since 1972...50 years!!

The NDBA is a group of dedicated archers working to improve and protect the rights and privileges of bowhunters and to promote and expand the sport of archery in North Dakota.

That's the mission statement I have pulled from the NDBA website..

Taking a stance on a tool that a vast majority of archery hunters used to increase success and help youth take an ethical shot at a known distance, let alone keep them entertained and wanting to keep going to the stand by deer, pheasants, squirrels and other animals seems contradictory to the mission statement..
When board members who bait themselves, come out with a statement like they did today; without the input of due paying members, where they say to trust the science of people who have PHDs and are "experts" on this because baiting can help spread CWD, but then continue to bait themselves seems slightly contradictory to me.

Last edited:

wct12

Maybe he can come back if he wants. All can be forgiven by all with the passing of time. db
Seems like a few members on here that commented up here that disagreed with an opinion so they censored him with the banned button, would probably have a different opinion then that 😉

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do food plots and intercept feeding programs make deer congregate in times of the year that they aren't?
Probably. Also, I don’t know what an intercept feeding program is.
They say CWD lives for years in the soil.. so wouldn't having a food plot in the same spot year after year cause deer to congregate at times of the year when they wouldn't be, at close knit locations? Or do only piles of bait make deer congregate?
I’ve read up to 2 years. And again, possibly. I’ll quote a rancher I talk to from the Harvey area, compare it to a bunch of kids eating birthday cake vs sharing the same spoon, what do you think would spread a cold faster?

wct12

I’ve read up to 2 years. And again, possibly. I’ll quote a rancher I talk to from the Harvey area, compare it to a bunch of kids eating birthday cake vs sharing the same spoon, what do you think would spread a cold faster?
You should do a little digging into the game and fishes intercept feeding program and state funded food plots.. rules for thee but not for me..

Charlie bahnson, the game and fish wildlife vet claims years, so how would a foot plot be any different keeping deer coming back to a small area year after year?

When those kids spend all day at the party together (herd animals congregate) the spread rate is probably going to be similar from eating from the same spoon, or coughing on each other at the party prior or after sharing that spoon.

wct12

Maybe he can come back if he wants. All can be forgiven by all with the passing of time. This is not like Pete Rose. Anybody?

As i stated in a prior comment of mine those who have written against the bill with the statement game and fish knowns what is best, and we need to do as they say and not go against those with the knowledge.

That is not how life works and especially when there is doubt in what they say. Most everybody is wrong a time or two in their life. Take Bidden. Do we all follow him because he is president? Poor example, i guess. db
He still checks in from time to time on this thread since he has such a vested interest in it. Maybe some day he will start up another account!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
comments are made and some are weak, and some have a little more to them. db

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
On gst... he got banned cause his rep (by way of the old nda reputation system) got so low the old rules essentially mandated a ban. Having said that, as much as me and him butted heads, I can say with almost certainty, I never gave him a negative rep.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

So during a winter like this where deer are herded up more than they ever would be at a bait pile should we be out running them and breaking up the party. Problem is there is no proof that baiting makes cwd spread faster It’s a bunch of people who don’t like baiting and don’t have the stones to just come out and say that.

wct12

On gst... he got banned cause his rep (by way of the old nda reputation system) got so low the old rules essentially mandated a ban. Having said that, as much as me and him butted heads, I can say with almost certainty, I never gave him a negative rep.
He's a sportsmen's a land owner with a very staunch belief in private property rights! He can definitely rub some guys the wrong way and during the first trespass bill attempt there was definitely some of that that went on..

Seems like when people have a differing opinion anymore, people are fast to hit the "bad rep" button, even if it's a valid point

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
So during a winter like this where deer are herded up more than they ever would be at a bait pile should we be out running them and breaking up the party. Problem is there is no proof that baiting makes cwd spread faster It’s a bunch of people who don’t like baiting and don’t have the stones to just come out and say that.
Bingo!

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which is why I think an actual hearing where reps can demand answers from the G&F directors, rather than writing another law is the way to go. The advisory board meetings they are able to answer the questions they want and move on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope - not me.

GST and I are probably way more alike than different - but he had (and almost certainly still has) a severe character flaw.

That is - he'll twist your words and gaslight without conscience.

Once he's decided he's right, he will selectively pull quotes from previous posts. He'll attack your character.

He'll endlessly put up little quotes out of context to sully your name or put you in a labeled box you don't belong in - even on posts unrelated to his big beef. Constantly hoping to draw you back in for another endless back/forth with ZERO chance of him ever admitting he was wrong to falsely impugn your character.

He's probably a good man offline as far as his values and I wish him well.

BUT he's got sociopathic tendencies like Toby - he's never going to change and we don't need his manipulation and manufactured drama here.

He (and Fritz) were major advocates of the all land is posted legislation - and GST selectively pulled quotes from posts from this very forum to unfairly characterize "the sportsman of ND".

I remember - even if you don't.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the electronic was going to be green go ahead and hunt. Yellow ask, shoot all the geese/coyotes/whatever just don't hunt this or that species. And red.

I should have step over or went around that pond of shit.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the electronic was going to be green go ahead and hunt. Yellow ask, shoot all the geese/coyotes/whatever just don't hunt this or that species. And red.

I should have step over or went around that pond of shit.
I actually would have liked to see that - red , don’t bother asking . Green , go ahead and hunt these specific species , yellow , ask in person or call and you may possibly be granted permission

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67