House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

wct12

Covid wise I’m right there with you. This bill however, is not so simple. The G&F’s responsibility is managing the game populations. Their research whether you believe it or not is what led them to taking a proactive approach to control CWD in the one way they have the authority to regulate. They didn’t ban it across the state, they didn’t say you can’t hunt food plots, they didn’t say you can’t feed deer outside of actively hunting. A pretty good compromise really, didn’t take too much away from hunters and still covered their own legal bases. I’ve said it before that I have no qualms with baiting. I’ll probably do it if this bill goes through. It’s the precedent the bill establishes. Now, a vocal minority/majority or outside interests can establish game laws. Read the NDFB bylaws when you get a chance. They more or less want the G&F abolished. They want the same deal other western states are getting where big farmers are the ones allocated tags. This was the first step, and they did a good job getting people fired up enough to do their legwork for them. I hope they kept track of everyone who sent emails in favor, maybe you guys will be on Daryl’s list for a tag in 10 years.

And before Fritz jumps in with how cynical I’m being, I saw the script NDFB handed to you guys for the first testimony, stating who was to speak, the topic, and for how long.
I'm guessing you're referring to Dusty.. Who isn't NDFB?..

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you know that there is only 32 game wardens in north dakota that's one for every 71000 square miles. I think I need to step up my poaching quota this season 🤔 😅

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
“Artificially concentrating deer from August through November puts more animals in contact with each other and each other’s bodily fluids.”

Wtf ? So deer can only transfer body fluids in the months from august to November??????!!!!!! Does this risk magically disappear in the winter months when the deer are herded up in huge groups? This is why we can’t trust their so called experts!

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The press release is a joke and lacks complete transparency. What they fail to mention is most of the positive cases have come from units that have had strict CWD protocols in place for years AND are mostly mule deer, which seldom if ever relate to a bait station, but they really want the public to believe by the language of the news release is that the practice of baiting is the main culprit for the spread.

Clearly the "management" protocols aren't doing squat at limiting the transference of the disease, but at least the Game and Fish feel like they are doing something even though it really is ultimately only restricting sportsmen from utilizing a tool.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's easy to submit testimony.

https://ndlegis.gov/assembly/68-202...s/bh1151.html?bill_year=2023&bill_number=1151

Follow the prompts.

All testimonies can be read here below link:

https://ndlegis.gov/assembly/68-202...y/bt1151.html?bill_year=2023&bill_number=1151

Wildlife Society and Wildlife Federation people are submitting the usual. Admonishing Legislators, why would you vote to take away authority of the game and fish? Who is going to be responsible if this disease kills all the deer? Much fearmongering.

Time line and truth:

Senators of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee,

● 1967 Everyone is aware Chronic Wasting Disease was first discovered in a deer pen. The Fort Collins Foothills Wildlife Research Facility was doing nutritional studies on mule deer. The deer began to waste away and die. They depopulated the survivors and limed the pens. Lime doesn't kill a prion. They re-stocked the pens with more mule deer and they began to waste away. So they took some to a zoo in Denver and released the rest into the wild.

● 1975 A wasting syndrome was observed at a Toronto Canada Zoo in mule deer they had received from the Denver Zoo.

● 1979 Recognized in mule deer at Wyoming Sybille Wildlife Research Facility. Of the 66 mule deer, 57 contracted the disease and died. No data on the remaining 9.

● 1981 Detected in wild elk in Colorado. ● 1985 Detected in mule deer and elk Wyoming and Colorado.

● 1996 Detected in farmed elk in Saskatchewan.

● 1997 Detected in farmed elk in South Dakota.

● 1998 Detected in farmed elk in Montana. Sourced from the farm in South Dakota. They were depopulated using incinerators to burn them at $8000 a piece.

● 2002 Detected in Wind Cave National Park South Dakota. Even with CWD present, the elk population continues to grow above carrying capacity every year so the Park Service opens the gates and they haze them out with helicopters. From an endemic area!!

● 2002 Detected in Wisconsin.

● 2003 In the State of the Union Address, George W. Bush pledged $50 million to fight CWD.

● 2004 Wisconsin embarked on a plan to eradicate all deer off the landscape in a 287 square mile zone using hunters and sharpshooters.

● 2012 Eight years later, 172,000 deer had been removed from the Wisconsin eradication zone at a cost of $32 million dollars. Governor Scott Walker empaneled a committee to evaluate the control and prevention strategies including population reduction, feeding bans of wildlife, baiting of deer, importation of carcasses, bans on importation of trophies, restrictions on taxidermists and bans on urine based scents. The committee concluded, "none of this had been effective." The eradication zone created a vacuum and deer from surrounding areas simply moved in.

● 2012 George W. Bush's $50 million dollar appropriation was gone. The surveillance and monitoring program failed.

● 2017 Researchers in Colorado and Wyoming are now comparing genomes from cervids living in heavily infected areas to those cervids living in no CWD found areas. Cervids living in heavily infected areas are moving away from CWD susceptible genetic genome markers. After 50 years of CWD pressure, Wyoming, Colorado deer and elk are exhibiting some resistance and living to old age. It remains unknown if this will allow elk and deer to mitigate population impacts of CWD or achieve herd immunity.

● 2022 The CWD Research and Management Act. $70 million.
Thirty-five million to research per year multiplied by six years.
Research can accelerate the process of genetic genome selection.

As the years of “data” on the “devastation” of CWD and the monies that have been allocated are highlighted, there is a pattern developing. Crises crises crisis, more and more federal money is needed to restrict and eradicate. Now we have THE PEOPLE catching on and standing up because it is THEIR money that is feeding this bureaucracy. Let's revisit Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota. It was known to have CWD back in 2002. It has a seven foot high woven wire fence around it. The herd grows every year. This disease does not preclude reproduction. Every year Custer State Park next door does a Bison roundup and then sell the excess. Wind Cave does not sell excess elk, they open the gates and chase them out with helicopters, "every year." Biologists, ecologists and wildlife managers know that.

> Please support HB 1151

> Dwight Grosz
Hazen North Dakota

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Makes me nervous for the 3a1 / 3a3 mule deer. Would be a shame if they culled.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Imagine being that damn stupid to think that culling is going to help.

Insanity.
And not recognizing it could make things worse.

"Culling vampire bats failed to beat rabies — and made the problem worse"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41...oned before,and even increased disease spread.

CWD caused by 'the experts' doing research at a wildlife facility, and the only solution is giving those same agencies more money and power.

Sounds a lot like the Wuhan deal.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do not know the right answers, but i do know the experts do not know either and then they come up with answers with no understanding of the end result that solve nothing but bring additional problems. db-2

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
● 2004 Wisconsin embarked on a plan to eradicate all deer off the landscape in a 287 square mile zone using hunters and sharpshooters.

● 2012 Eight years later, 172,000 deer had been removed from the Wisconsin eradication zone at a cost of $32 million dollars. Governor Scott Walker empaneled a committee to evaluate the control and prevention strategies including population reduction, feeding bans of wildlife, baiting of deer, importation of carcasses, bans on importation of trophies, restrictions on taxidermists and bans on urine based scents. The committee concluded, "none of this had been effective." The eradication zone created a vacuum and deer from surrounding areas simply moved in.

Here is an interesting tidbit, Wisconsin has lost 200,000 hunters since 2004.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Here is an interesting tidbit, Wisconsin has lost 200,000 hunters since 2004.
^^^^ That's the long term plan - in bold.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not know the right answers, but i do know the experts do not know either and then they come up with answers with no understanding of the end result that solve nothing but bring additional problems. db-2
You do know the right answer. If the government can't demonstrate conclusively that their methods are effective - then they're practicing politics and/or ethics - not science.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14