ND State Class A &B

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
neutral site in bismarck seems reasonable for that region. slight advantage to any local team. but, at least it wouldn't be at shiloh's home gym... or shouldn't be anyway.

on another note, i think they need to add a 7th team to region 2. 7 teams for a regional isn't exactly ideal. but, the others made it work. i suppose the issue they are having is who? the only one that makes sense geographically is rugby. i know rugby had a down year. but, that addition to that region would make that region a tough one to play in year after year that's for sure.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's only 7 teams in Region 4A also.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
correct. 2 has 6. 3 has 9. moving one from 3 to 2 would give em 7, 7, 8 & 7 i believe. without even looking at school/town size, i do think that would make 2 a bit lopsided numbers wise and from an expected future power wise. albeit, i am not exactly a historian on b baskeball. but, it seems DL, 4-winds, rugby, grafton, thompson, carrington, Hillsboro/CV would be one heck of a region to play in going fwd.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't notice that. (6 teams in Reg 2A)That's really hard to believe that they wouldn't even out the field and make it 7 since there are 9 teams in Region 3A. Must have been some good ol boy politics going on there. There's a real easy solution. Take the team furthest to the east and north and put them in Region 2A, I don't care how tuff you think those teams are to the rest of the state. They still could take 3 from that Region to state so every team will have multiple opportunities to settle it on the court.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watching HS BB now days is like watching college ball when I was a kid. lots of dunks even some 2 handed ones, That was rare to see a few years ago. Stiff competition is quite the driving force to want to get better at something. Fun watching clark play for Iowa.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i went to nearly every home basketball game devils lake had in the 80s and then played in every game for 3 years in the early 90s. with the exception of valley city dunking on us 4 times in one game in 1992?, i can honestly say i remember less than 10 dunks in that 13 year span. now its not extremely uncommon to see a handful a game. they are definitely built differently these days.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Sem kid sticks out, if he keeps on the path he is on it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

This was from last year when he was a junior.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't notice that. (6 teams in Reg 2A)That's really hard to believe that they wouldn't even out the field and make it 7 since there are 9 teams in Region 3A. Must have been some good ol boy politics going on there. There's a real easy solution. Take the team furthest to the east and north and put them in Region 2A, I don't care how tuff you think those teams are to the rest of the state. They still could take 3 from that Region to state so every team will have multiple opportunities to settle it on the court.
I'm sure it's a travel deal - could slide New Town into Region 4 but it increases their travel quite a bit. Same with moving Rugby into Region 2.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Sem kid sticks out, if he keeps on the path he is on it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

This was from last year when he was a junior.

At the moment I don't believe he is headed anywhere because he's had some issues. My guess is he starts out at a random JUCO somewhere and if he behaves could end up at a bigger school. Personally I don't care about his issues and would take him at UND :)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure it's a travel deal - could slide New Town into Region 4 but it increases their travel quite a bit. Same with moving Rugby into Region 2.
Oh crap I had it backwards. Region 2A NEEDS a team from Region 3A. Pick the closest one. The one furthest to the east and even out the Regions. I don't wanna hear any travel issues when Region 4A has Watford and Standing Rock in it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the moment I don't believe he is headed anywhere because he's had some issues. My guess is he starts out at a random JUCO somewhere and if he behaves could end up at a bigger school. Personally I don't care about his issues and would take him at UND :)

That's too bad, I saw he had 2 offers last summer. I'd like to see more ND kids excel and succeed in sports well enough for a free ride and see what the trainers can do for them. Not many get that chance, I hope he gets his head on straight

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is NDSCS

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just tuned in to the start of the boys "B". Why do they not draw the fans like they used to? Is it watered down with the 3 divisions? Sad.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just tuned in to the start of the boys "B". Why do they not draw the fans like they used to? Is it watered down with the 3 divisions? Sad.
Because alot of the small towns now have co ops with other schools. Families have gotten smaller, less jobs in rural communities, small farms are non existent meaning less help needed "kids" and people have more "important" things to do apparently. Still fun to watch though!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a long time since the first day of the B has been packed (as in, before my time). I'm sure the semis and finals will be well attended.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a long time since the first day of the B has been packed (as in, before my time). I'm sure the semis and finals will be well attended.
We'll see how the numbers work out as in total ticket sales for the A's and B's. I'm guessing with an added 8 teams making it to state overall tickets will be up, but that neither will break the records of old B tournaments. There are so many factors as to why there are less fans, but times are just changing. Kids are so addicted to the internet, games, and devices that they care little for anything else. Even in a huge Basketball community, our fan support form the younger crowd is noticeably dropping.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Cool ending last night in SD. I watched this game a little as I worked a year in Gregory. They had a 6 pt lead at one time in the 4th QT.

Oh, and the crowds in SD looked pretty good.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'll see how the numbers work out as in total ticket sales for the A's and B's. I'm guessing with an added 8 teams making it to state overall tickets will be up, but that neither will break the records of old B tournaments. There are so many factors as to why there are less fans, but times are just changing. Kids are so addicted to the internet, games, and devices that they care little for anything else. Even in a huge Basketball community, our fan support form the younger crowd is noticeably dropping.
Looks like a very nice crowd for the B title tonight. Helps having 2 teams within 100 miles or so I'm sure. A crowd looked pretty decent in Fargo too.

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reshuffling classes created some good new rivalries. I went up to the Devils Lake vs Four Winds game in DL. It was an awesome game and atmosphere. We showed up first quarter of JV game and they were over 600 pl through the door. Bet there was around 900 - 1000 at varsity tip off.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88