3 season porch windows

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I are scraping the paint off our 3 season porch windows to repaint them. Once we got everything scraped away we noticed a lot of gaps that need to be filled in. What does a person use to fill gaps in wood like this? There are 10 windows that need this done to some extent.
IMG_5487 (1).jpeg

IMG_5488.jpeg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, that wood looks to be in pretty rough shape, but not yet unsalvageable. There are a number of products out there, any wood filler designed for exterior use should work. Something like www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZG9T4/?tag=jpenbackyard-20 is a good choice, but maybe not the most economical. Nonetheless, any home improvement store near you (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, or good hardware store) will have a range of exterior wood fillers to chose between.

On an unsolicited side note, the weathered appearance of the wood suggests you are going to have a hard time getting paint to last on that surface even with a good primer. This too can be helped by using a strong cleaner, such as TSP (trisodium phosphate). Of course, once cleaned it will need to dry a few days before painting. One can get fancy here and pick up a moisture meter for letting you know when the wood is dry enough for painting, but that's not really necessary.

Also, that alligator cracking I see on the paint suggests there's a decent chance that there's a layer of lead-based paint. So, hopefully you were masked when scraping and sanding.

You fill in the gaps, clean it well, prime/paint it, and I think you'll get another 10-15 years before having to do it again or a window replacement. If you just slapped paint on it now, you'll see some peeling within 2-3 years.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dunhams Rockhard,buy it at most hardware stores,use that as filler and caulk edges,also highly recommend Big stretch for caulking,

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84