A Woman Walks Into a Bar

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Authorities don't know where or when Christensen found the raccoon that she allegedly was keeping as a pet.

"We know she found it out in the wild. It was half dead, and she apparently nursed it back to health," Rode said.

Authorities aren't sure how long Christensen allegedly had the raccoon, but it might have been as long as a couple of months, according to Game and Fish Enforcement Division Chief Scott Winkelman.
"It's illegal to possess a live raccoon under Board of Animal Health laws," he said, adding that it's also illegal to have one without a state furbearer license. Winkelman also said it appeared that Christensen was trying to evade authorities who were searching for her and the raccoon.

He and the sheriff said they are not aware of Christensen having any sort of an animal handling or training background.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a we bit of an over- reaction on the part of the state health department, police, and G&F

Those of you who know Marty Beard know this event was JV league at best

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a youngster I had a pet raccoon every year. Every one of them was named Johnny.
They were great pets and would roll on their back and drink from a baby bottle just like a baby. Once they got 10-12 months old the wild would come out in them, so they were free to take off to where ever they wanted to go.
Never got bit by one and they were cool pets. Some would ride on my german shepards back and he was ok with that. I had 8-10 when I was young and I think my Dad hated everyone of them. All of mine either stayed in the barn or in the dog house with my shepard. Never penned one up as they were free to roam and to come and go as they pleased.
That was a different day and age back then 60 some years ago.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
There has to be more pressing issues than a woman and her pet coon, for authorities to deal with.
I kept reading the story thinking there was going to be more to it, but nope, just a woman who nursed a coon back to health and kept it around??

BJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capture.JPG

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
That pic reminds me of the DEA proudly standing with a kingpin of the Mexican cartel and a huge heroin bust. They all should get a Presidential medal or something! (sarc)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Karen called the police for this? What a tool!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
BBJack I has a couple of coons too. I had the same two for five years. They wintered in straw in an old thrashing machine. The neighbor had machinery parked on the west edge a 40 acre wetland and when he moved his combine in the spring he run the male through it and cut two toes off the female. She hung around for two more years. When young she got a big scar under one eye from a fight with a black lab. Years later and about eight miles away my cousin found a coon hit by a car near his driveway. Two toes missing, and scar under the correct eye. She would have been 11 years old.

The female was gentle, but the male made me bleed a few times when he played to rough. At five years old he hit 40 pounds. Lot of funny stories with those crazy animals.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
She brought it all on herself when she decided to take it to the bar to show it off. Had she not done that, they most likely would have lived happily ever. And she won't "win" anything in the courtroom, a heart of gold isn't a leg to stand on.
Sad that it's that way but laws like that are best broken while flying under the radar.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
She brought it all on herself when she decided to take it to the bar to show it off. Had she not done that, they most likely would have lived happily ever. And she won't "win" anything in the courtroom, a heart of gold isn't a leg to stand on.
Sad that it's that way but laws like that are best broken while flying under the radar.
I wouldn’t bet on any court ruling in today’s world with anything more than the price of a stick of gum

Bobkat

Established Member
This whole thing started some 40-50years ago when a kid brought a raccoon to school, ihink in Linton or Wishek or somewhere down there. The students and teachers all loved the cute little thing and everyone played with it daily, until it was found to be rabid! Oops…..
After the fact it was impossible to know who had been exposed so the entire school, teachers, student, personnel had to get vaccinations, not cheap then or now
There was a big fight over who should pay for the 40-50 thousand to vaccinate everyone, school, individuals, health dept, etc.
Ultimately I’m sure the taxpayers payed, and when it was discovered that the vaccine didn’t work on raccoons or skunks, laws were passed prohibiting them.

Anyone on here ever see anyone die with rabies?

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Just because its a law does not make it right. And if its a not right, that law should be disobeyed. Im sure us peasants can handle a loose pet coon without the state arresting people or potentially ruining lives over it.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole thing started some 40-50years ago when a kid brought a raccoon to school, ihink in Linton or Wishek or somewhere down there. The students and teachers all loved the cute little thing and everyone played with it daily, until it was found to be rabid! Oops…..
After the fact it was impossible to know who had been exposed so the entire school, teachers, student, personnel had to get vaccinations, not cheap then or now
There was a big fight over who should pay for the 40-50 thousand to vaccinate everyone, school, individuals, health dept, etc.
Ultimately I’m sure the taxpayers payed, and when it was discovered that the vaccine didn’t work on raccoons or skunks, laws were passed prohibiting them.

Anyone on here ever see anyone die with rabies?

No I haven't but my relatives might some day.
When my kids were small we had a birthday party for one of them and we just got 2 kittens from a neighbor shortly before the party.
Well a couple days after the party, one of the kittens went nuts and kept coming at me and I would move and it would run into a wall. We knew something wasn't right, so them both to a Vet and had to put them down to test them. One had rabies and one didn't.
Well everyone at the party had to get rabie shots and our homeowners insurance paid the bill. One my last shot I had an allergic reaction to the shot and couldn't breathe and passed out. Last thing I remember before passing out was telling the nurse, I am going down! Ended up spending a couple days in the hospital. Doctor said I can't take rabie shots ever again, I asked then what if I get exposed again? He said, your gonna die.
Also they used to say a rabid animal won't drink. That kitten drank water and milk even after it went bananas. So either that isn't true or this kitten never got the memo.
Our shots weren't in the belly button, they were in the butt and the dosage was based on your weight. They were given in the hospital emergency room. I think the shots were given over a 2 week period IF I remember correctly. Might have been a shorter time period. Damn strokes screw up my memory.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 178
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84