Bad Flavor Venison

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
bump. ^^^^This is mainly targeted for anyone "new".

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most damage to good venison flavor is done BEFORE cooking the meat IMO. Shooting a deer that's been running scared makes the meat stronger flavored due to increased blood flow in to the muscles. Gut shooting a deer is self explanatory. Not cooling the meat as fast as possible or letting the carcass ride around in the truck bed doesn't lend itself to good flavored meat. Leaving lots of fat on the meat adds stronger flavor to the meat. Not cutting out blood shot tissue from the meat detracts from good flavor. Not so much a flavor issue, but cutting steaks and such the wrong way can really affect meat tenderness. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details when seeking good eating venison and most of the factors that taint venison are completely in the hunters control and happen way before the meat hits the plate.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quite caring about people who snub their nose at wild game. More for me attitude. And to those that don't know how to care for their game, and don't know how to gut, age, butcher, or cook their deer, I hope they quite hunting or at least GIVE IT AWAY.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing i could add is unlike other animals that are hung up butchered, and eventually packaged, cutting through bone was always a big no no when processing deer meat, and not removing enough of the silverskin before you cut up your meat. When I was a kid living on a farm, we butchered pigs to sell and also for ourselves. So when we processed the deer it was done the same way if you were cutting up beef or pork. I remember eating deer chops in a slow cooker, the gamey smell and taste turned me off until eventually it was discovered that deboning your deer meat improved the over all taste dramatically.
That's why hunting in a tree stand over bait pile has also improved the quality of the meat compared to hunting in big groups where deer were pushed out to be shot at.
The picture of the video is deceiving and that i was waiting for the commentator to tell us how to pan fry an bone in shoulder steak. I agree svn it'd beneficial to beginners for the reason and how to prevent them from ruining the quality on the meat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88