Badlands mule deer

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is the problem with modern equipment. People rely on the equipment rather than their skill

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You haven't spent much time in sporting goods stores the week before archery or rifle opener. While it may not be the case with your hunting group, the VAST majority of deer hunters are in the "Brown it's down" category. Here's a couple clues:

1. How many times can I shoot this broadhead into a target and still use it for hunting?

2. If I miss my target and only shot the broadhead into the dirt a couple times it should still be sharp enough right?

3. I've still got a 1/2dz arrows from my last bow, they should work right?

4. If you put a new string-loop/nock/peep in for me my pins should stay sighted in right?

5. I'm going hunting tomorrow/tonight and I want a broadhead that matches my practice tip flight. No, I don't trust mechanicals and they're too expensive, just give me a fixed blade that matches my field points out to 40yds, I'm not going to shoot further than that anyway.

Etc, etc, etc.

since your 5 items are about bow hunters lets keep it there- How many bow hunters have had a deer ( buck or doe, they can shoot either) within good shooting range and did not take the shot because it was either a doe or not a buck large enough to the likings? an example like this has a direct link to success ratio's

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
since your 5 items are about bow hunters lets keep it there- How many bow hunters have had a deer ( buck or doe, they can shoot either) within good shooting range and did not take the shot because it was either a doe or not a buck large enough to the likings? an example like this has a direct link to success ratio's

Plenty pass on does because there are typically more "doe in range" opportunities. There are LOTS of spike, fork, <80" bucks that get killed because they're close enough and they're "a buck". There's still plenty of folks who push tree-belts for deer and have a poster fling arrows at deer on the run because they don't, won't, or can't sit still in a stand/blind.

By being on this or any forum and engaging in a conversation about deer hunting, you already take in more serious than the VAST majority of hunters. The biggest share of hunters think about hunting on the day they need to apply for/buy a tag, the day they need to schedule their vacation if they take any, and MAYBE 1 or 2 days sometime before season to either sight in their rifle/bow or take their rifle/bow into their favorite sporting goods store to "have it sighted/boresighted, fixed, new peep, re-served, new nock, new loop, etc. for season".

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think modern equipment can hinder success at times. For example I’ve seen guys with tv sized fish finders that will sit and sausage finger buttons or touch screen all day instead of concentrating on your rod.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think modern equipment can hinder success at times. For example I’ve seen guys with tv sized fish finders that will sit and sausage finger buttons or touch screen all day instead of concentrating on your rod.

Why do you want the sausage fingerers concentrating on your rod?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone else get a serious eye opening to what muzzleloaders are capable of these days? I had no idea they were pushing bullets that fast.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t understand all the negativity . I drew a muley tag with 0 points and then shot a nice buck. No big thang like a chicken wang.

dirtytough

Anyone else get a serious eye opening to what muzzleloaders are capable of these days? I had no idea they were pushing bullets that fast.

I used a muzzy in Colorado this year. I checked load accuracy with a scope then swapped to a peep since Colorado doesn’t allow scopes. I believe I was at 2350ish FPS with a 250 grain bullet. But even with a peep it’s still tough to hit a deer beyond 250 yards.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you’re not seeing Big muleys you aren’t looking enough aka not enough days looking. You know how many little nooks and crannys there are in the badlands for a deer to hide in? I’ve seen 3 in the 180” range this year but I spend more than a weekend or 2 before season in the field. Had a buddy look for them deer during rifle and in 13 days never saw one of them. Told him to go to a different spot as was a few good bucks in the previous year and he sat that night and passed a 160” at 10ft. Next day he killed a 180+ at 11am that I hadn’t seen at all this year. Yeah there’s always luck involved in hunting but the bucks are there they just hide really well. As far as more people getting out and walking more, hahaha never seen so many road hunters in my life. My buddies buck was 2.2 miles from the nearest road and believe it or not there wasn’t a foot track to be found

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to see what would happen to the mule deer populations in the badlands if our illustrious game and fish removed the restrictions on mountain lions for say 5 years and let them be hunted like other predators. I would find that VERY interesting.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why do people think that more deer means bigger deer?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
More deer equals more bucks which equals more competition for does which makes the deer naturally grow bigger antlers to fight off other bucks.

- - - Updated - - -

If you’re not seeing Big muleys you aren’t looking enough aka not enough days looking. You know how many little nooks and crannys there are in the badlands for a deer to hide in?

Yes, 7

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to see what would happen to the mule deer populations in the badlands if our illustrious game and fish removed the restrictions on mountain lions for say 5 years and let them be hunted like other predators. I would find that VERY interesting.
They aren't filling the quota now. I don't think there are as many lions out there as there used to be 5 years ago.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34