Boating Access of the Future?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to say the numbers will drop ---- i think they will eventually. But the amount of chicks in the gallatin river fishing by them self with other chickos 1st of february --- waters cold but it was running Hot!! Ran into a couple big groups of chickies snowmobiling (no guys in the group) - super hot!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am hunting and fishing way more more now than I have in the last 40 years , work got in the way and family time was more important. Now we are retired empty nesters and kids are half way across the state so I pester and tease my wife enough so she is happy to see me go fishing every day. once you get to retirement age it's time for that second childhood and do what you enjoy doing Life is good

We must be doing something wrong , sconies drive past 10,000 lakes and thousands of miles of rivers to get here. I could never understand why, other than buddy bragging rights or somthing. Things may have changed but there was better fishing in MN than ND when I was a kid. It can't be that the MN rules and regulations are a deal breaker, from what Iv'e seen, most of them don't pay attention to laws anyway.
Sconies and MN come in droves early season because their season is closed due to the spawn just like ND use to be closed. Took awhile to figure that one out but Mn is closed end of Feb till middle of May.
Wisconsin is like first week in March till first week in May.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry I jinxed you guys in Bismarck with this affliction. I didn’t think that the commie idea of limiting boating access would arrive so quickly - and in ND of all places.
1710332858531.jpeg

Last edited:

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is limiting access a real thing? This is seriously BS if thats the case.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is limiting access a real thing? This is seriously BS if thats the case.
I was being facetious... sorta.

Today's governments at all levels seem to have an uncanny knack of putting things they don't feel are their priority out of reach of the average citizen if and when they feel like it.

For them to ignore the boat ramp issue on something like the project being talked about is just one example of that mindset that they have - they don't have to sweat how the project affects "the average knuckle dragger who doesn't have a vision for the community needs that we do".

Besides, the river's too crowded as it is. This will moderate the traffic to some degree. 🥴

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just would hate to see fishing access become an issue. I hunt lots more than I fish but that is because I know hunting access will only last a few more years and fishing will be my fallback passion when hunting dries up.

I would just really hate to see fishing go the same route that hunting is. Take away public boat ramps or limit usage of them smells like trouble. It would quickly make it a pay to play ordeal to access some non public ramps. Even though I get frustrated just like all of us do when we see a non resident on the water next to us.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup it's all about PAY to PLAY!! Soon they'll enact a looking fee for glancing at the river.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah my dad did too, this was back around 2000 or so, not sure when they stopped but I know it was not well received.
Cash based. Put $ and filled out form in supplied envelope and drop it into to a lock box. PITA.

Collecting money and providing boxes/envelopes etc probably cost more than it brought in.

Really burned me when I forgot to bring correct change (only had 20s in my wallet or whatever)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't the COE try to charge people for using ramps about 20 years ago and got a lot of backlash over it?
Yes they did, and now that the GFP took over for the CORPS (on OAHE) you now have to pay the state and/or Tribe to use ramps the CORPS used to have.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
In SD I pay a park pass that I need to access probably 75% of the ramps. Indian Creek, Shaw Creek, Pollock all require a day pass or year pass. It’s $25 I have no issue paying. The facilities are generally well kept which helps. They put the money back into improvements so I have no complaints.

As I’ve thought about it, ND is one of the few places where ramp access comes without fee. I hope you can keep it that way.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
In SD I pay a park pass that I need to access probably 75% of the ramps. Indian Creek, Shaw Creek, Pollock all require a day pass or year pass. It’s $25 I have no issue paying. The facilities are generally well kept which helps. They put the money back into improvements so I have no complaints.

As I’ve thought about it, ND is one of the few places where ramp access comes without fee. I hope you can keep it that way
I didnt know that.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Basically, they've turned everything into a State Park in SD. So you just get a park pass and you're good for the year, or pay the daily fee. I'm not sure you can access any ramp on state land without it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Basically, they've turned everything into a State Park in SD. So you just get a park pass and you're good for the year, or pay the daily fee. I'm not sure you can access any ramp on state land without it.
There’s a few here and there that don’t. But basically the entire Missouri River, minus a few marinas, require a state parks pass. Some lakes in the east with basic docks don’t. But everything I fish I need a pass. The SD model is just a lot different. There are far more state campgrounds and facilities and far fewer private campgrounds. There are fishing towns per se, but usually they are nearby to a state facility or dock. I may be biased, but the SD campgrounds are as nice as you can find. They do a good job with the system.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heated fish cleaning stations nice docks and the camp ground are well kept. It’s worth the 25 dollars

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heated fish cleaning stations nice docks and the camp ground are well kept. It’s worth the 25 dollars
While yes they are nice, they were nice when the Corps had them too, and they were free.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84