Buying gold and silver.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious, what's the return on investment for gold/silver over the last 10 or 20 years?
Gold and silver are not supposed to be considered an “investment” but more about preservation of wealth. Example) a quarter from the early 1960’s could buy you a gallon of gas. Today, that same quarter from the 1960’s has enough silver content that it will still buy you a gallon of gas. That’s how it was explained to me so take that for what it’s worth

Yes if you bought a bunch of each in March of 2020 it was an excellent “investment” but only if you sold now. Most people sit on their gold and silver and do not actually sell unless needed

At the end of the day your all time #1 investment in my mind is land. Assuming you’re not paying 8k/acre for it but someday that will be considered cheap I’m sure

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's about how it was explained to me too Phill. An oz of gold back in 1900 could buy you a good tailored suit. Today an oz of gold will buy you the same thing...a good tailored suit.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the end of the day your all time #1 investment in my mind is land. Assuming you’re not paying 8k/acre for it but someday that will be considered cheap I’m sure

I would tend to agree with this statement for a couple of reasons, and strongly disagree for one reason. Firstly, I can't think of a single parcel of land that was purchased and then resold for a lesser amount when it comes to agricultural land or hunting lands. I'm sure there are examples of it out there, I just don't know of any and that makes it a pretty safe investment. Secondly, you earn passive income by just buying land as you will most likely turn around and rent it out for ag purposes, or maybe even parts of it for commercial and industrial use. Not only can land earn income from ag rental, but wind turbines, pipeline easements, cell towers, etc, etc all add up over time if you have the right location.

The problem with buying land as an investment, and this is a huge problem for many, is that the passive income is usually not nearly enough to make the bank payment for those who can't afford to come up with a down payment of around 50%, or more. This means a person will often have to supplement the cost of ownership (bank payment, taxes, upkeep, improvements) with what is often a non-trivial dollar amount from their other income sources.

I have put pencil to paper a number of times on purchasing land for my own hunting and enjoyment only to find out that the number of acres I want (160-1280) would require far too large of a supplement from my day job for the cost of ownership. That income is often better spent on other things that I want. Obviously, It's all about one's personal priorities. But damn if I don't want to own more land!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buying land WITHOUT involving a bank is the ONLY way to buy land IMO. If you involve a bank, the chances of actually owning that land within your lifetime is significantly diminished.
Watch on YT:

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
prices are creeping! get you some of that gold and silver while its still affordable! Gold will hit an all time high today!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a few ounces of Gold recently and have tucked away in my safety deposit box. It is a long term play. I have NO intention of selling in the next 5,10,15 yrs but rather including it with anything else I may have to my beneficiaries. Call me dumb if you wish, but I think they would think it's cool to inherit Gold and that's all that matters.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gold and silver are not supposed to be considered an “investment” but more about preservation of wealth. Example) a quarter from the early 1960’s could buy you a gallon of gas. Today, that same quarter from the 1960’s has enough silver content that it will still buy you a gallon of gas. That’s how it was explained to me so take that for what it’s worth

Yes if you bought a bunch of each in March of 2020 it was an excellent “investment” but only if you sold now. Most people sit on their gold and silver and do not actually sell unless needed

Thanks for this post.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1692190478323.png

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct. Silver eagles on most sites are around that nine dollar over Spot.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
$5 over spot per coin/ounce. now i am following you. at first i thought you were claiming $5 over spot for the entire lot of 20 coins.

anyway, riddle me this batman, why does the US government use $23 worth of silver to make a $1 coin? i guess i realize they can't be had for $1 each unless some idiot spends them like an actual dollar and they end up in your cash register or pocket. from a government cost to benefit perspective, just curious what the point is.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
$5 over spot per coin/ounce. now i am following you. at first i thought you were claiming $5 over spot for the entire lot of 20 coins.

anyway, riddle me this batman, why does the US government use $23 worth of silver to make a $1 coin? i guess i realize they can't be had for $1 each unless some idiot spends them like an actual dollar and they end up in your cash register or pocket. from a government cost to benefit perspective, just curious what the point is.
I can have this person meet with you espringers and she can give you the scoop for you to decide. Let me know.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88