Carp in the Mouse River

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught this guy below the dam at the Roosevelt Park zoo with my bare hands, seen a couple dozen more swimming in the fast water. Seems odd they were all the exact same size. I saw one in the same spot 2 years ago and just assumed it was a wash in from the flood. anyone else seen or known of carp in the mouse? Are there any resevoirs down stream in canada this can muck with?

Attachments

thumbnail_IMG_20240522_223933036_HDR.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you get on the refuges (Upper Souris and J. Clark NWRs), the USFWS has a fair number of pools, as they call them, including the Des Lacs. In reality they are a series of small dams. I would think there's lots of carp habitat in the Souris River basin.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
how did it taste? :ROFLMAO: during my year from hell i lived in minot just east of there on 6th street, i spent many an evening at that damn and a smaller one up north a few blocks.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
how did it taste? :ROFLMAO: during my year from hell i lived in minot just east of there on 6th street, i spent many an evening at that damn and a smaller one up north a few blocks.
Ive tried it, actually pretty decent, not fun or easy to clean. I gotta taste test every fish specie at least once. so far the only specie that absolutely failed a taste test is bigmouth buffalo, its inedible

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive tried it, actually pretty decent, not fun or easy to clean. I gotta taste test every fish specie at least once. so far the only specie that absolutely failed a taste test is bigmouth buffalo, its inedible

LOL, and they were our money fish back when we commercially chased them on Sak. They were over a buck a pound when gutted. Ordinary carp were something like $0.13 a pound, whole.

Personally, I can't stand the thought of eating either of them. Nonetheless, certain ethnic groups seemed to really like them at the big city fish markets we supplied.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, and they were our money fish back when we commercially chased them on Sak. They were over a buck a pound when gutted. Ordinary carp were something like $0.13 a pound, whole.

Personally, I can't stand the thought of eating either of them. Nonetheless, certain ethnic groups seemed to really like them at the big city fish markets we supplied.

Honestly, I think the primary use for buffalo commercially is for crawfish trap bait. I just dont see how anyone could think that meat tastes good. it had the consistency of that fat jelly that forms at the top of gravy in the fridge, and tasted like day old dead minnows pureed in a blender. And I cleaned three of the things to make sure I just didn't get a bad one. other than those, every other fish I've tried is ok to great, and my unpopular favorites being freshwater drum and white bass.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Allen What other species did you target when commercial fishing Sak. ? Use all Gillnets ?

The law reads any non-gamefish can be taken commercially. I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the gist of it. The list of non-gamefish at one time included paddlefish, catfish, white bass, goldeye, all forms of carp and buffalo fish. Nowadays, those first three I listed are gamefish.

As far as the taste/texture differences between carp and buffalo, I really couldn't tell you as I have only begrudgingly tried carp (canned, it was one of the owners' brothers' own little venture into entrepreneurship). Shockingly it failed and he ate that canned crap for lunch every day we fished together for two summers. I digress, but IMHO...both are oily as hell and sold in the open fish markets primarily to the asian, black, and jewish folks based on what I heard from the distributor we shipped to. The distributor would send them to St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seattle. We gutted the buffalo before freezing them as opposed to the carp being sold whole. Either way, a "fresh" to the market fish was generally caught some 4-7 days earlier. I personally wouldn't ever keep a fish whole for up to a week before cleaning it. But them was the rulez.

I would have thought crawdad chasers would prefer the far less expensive eurasian carp over buffalo since the buffalo were easily 10X the price, but maybe that has changed since the early 90s?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yuk...maybe buffalo tastes better if I age it for a week, but springtime cold water, bled, cleaned and eaten same day was disgusting. common carp was actually pretty good, definetley edible.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant stand paddlefish. Tastes awful and I have had it prepared many ways.

This year I want to try smoking some goldeye.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a big carp on the Missouri River a few years back. I smoked it and it was worse that an old boar hog. The meat was more fat than meat. Threw the crap our after a couple of bites. Don't know if it was a buffalo or other species but it was definitely not good.

Tinesdown

No the buff is misunderstood most u come across in missouri system can be very old alot older than the angler that caught them have eaten big mouth an small mouth buff they aint bad crazy bone structure in em kinda like 6 bones coming off a single point hell of a fight if lucky enough to hook crawlers is best bet but very rare we get alot snagging paddle fish

Tinesdown

This year I want to try smoking some goldeye

This year I want to try smoking some goldeye.
Yeah man mooneye isnt bad very oily tons of tiny bones very fishy but u can smoke em get around 1 dozen fish. gut em did a batch years ago

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not happy to see a carp. You guys actually catch fish in town?!!

I've fished at the zoo twice and couldn't get over the elephant shit and the "soapy" bubbles: Many evenings at the city park produced one hammer handle...Not an insult or brag: Places like these are great in the Hills for light/ultra light tackle, juvenile smallmouth, hand sized rockbass and the occasional juvenile muskie:

1716518309943.png

Conversely; bullheads in the Hills do not readily chase and attack crankbaits. I just had an idea for Pradco about ^^^^ and now going to attempt contact.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46