Creek Chubs

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never used them but I ran into a guy that told me where they could be caught. But I was also told by an individual they thought it was illegal to trap and use them. What's the skinny?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can trap, catch, use as bait. Go to ndgf webpage check out legal baitfish. Hardest part usually is keeping them alive long enough to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't use the suckers that you usually catch with them though.except in the red.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
And keeping them in a tank! Little bastards like to jump! They like said are one of three legal live bait fish in ND outside of the red and not counting the tailrace. If you find a spot where they are easy to catch keep your mouth shut. you would be shocked how many people view posts on sites like this and will have zero problem with coming in and using your homework to their advantage and against you.

- - - Updated - - -

sucker minnows work real good in Sakakawea

Not legally.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Creek chubs are my favorite bait in sak I wish I had a way to keep them alive for ice fishing many many attempts have failed.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can catch them around bismarck, but its kind of a timing thing, they run up the creeks to spawn, and then head back down to larger waters for the rest of the year. This is the first year I have had any luck catching them, but it was so much work I was reluctant to use them as bait after, haha.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also make sure you can identify the actual fish/minnow/chub you catch. There are a number of fish that can be caught in the same waters as creek chubs that are not actually creek chubs. Shiners and Daces to name a couple, these would not be legal baitfish in ND.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7