Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a bushel full

Recipes for refrigerator dills?

To large to can.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just used the Mrs. Wages mixes to make our refrigerator pickles this year.

Cut ends off cucumbers, then cut cucumbers 2-3 inch long, then cut those pieces in half, then cut the halves into thirds length wise.

Make the Mrs. Wages pickle mix according to the instructions. let cool then pour on sliced up cucumber and let set 5-7 days.

Used Kocher and the medium spicy mixes.

On the spicy mix make sure you boil it outside as vapor makes you cough and eyes water, before we poured this on the cucumbers we diluted the mix, as the first batch we made was to spicy for our liking, used half spicy mix and half Kocher mix.

Also use Mrs. Wages to make refrigerator, beans, carrots and asparagus. Blanch these for 1.5 to 2.5 minutes and cool in ice water to stop them from cooking. Then put them in jars and fill jar up with juice.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks great tik,thanx for sharing, im to lazy to jar cucumbers.

Years ago my ole lady had a easy peasy recipe down pat,she's gone now but shame on me i took her for granted and didn't pay attention to her handy work,she sliced cucumbers thin never boiled them i think?,sweet onions the same,then soaked in wine vinegar/sugar,some kosher salt water i think all in a Tupperware tub,i tried to dupe her handy work also adding dill weed,chili peppers,garlic cloves but cucumbers come out soggy,maybe adding more salt would firm cucumbers up? Im clueless, done right they are great for a snack

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups white sugar
1 T. Pickling salt
1.5 teaspoon celery seed

Stir together until sugar dissolves fully and cover a ice cream pail full of onions and thinly sliced cukes. Let sit in fridge for a few days and enjoy.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mandolin and make bread and butter pickles. Very easy.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks ws,not a fan of sweet pickles, i should've stated that upfront, i like crispy cukes with a bite,chili 🌶 have just the right amount of heat for me,trying to figure out what other folks like ,i like the dill and garlic flavor,however my cukes end up mushy for some reason,might need more salt and as stated above ill try using white vinegar next batch.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks ws,not a fan of sweet pickles, i should've stated that upfront, i like crispy cukes with a bite,chili 🌶 have just the right amount of heat for me,trying to figure out what other folks like ,i like the dill and garlic flavor,however my cukes end up mushy for some reason,might need more salt and as stated above ill try using white vinegar next batch.
Alum keeps em crispy. Like an 1/8th of a teaspoon is all you need.

YCbtx

Second the Alum...not much needed. Don't forget the jalapenos....probably better than the pickles when they are done anyways. Have used the same fridge recipe for pickled eggs (minus the alum and heavy on the peppers)...need to sit a bit longer but they turn out great....not sure how long they would last because they are gone in a week at my place once they are done anyways.

When I do the pickles, I slice them in the right size to fit in a wonton wrap...dump out on a paper towel...add a slice of havarti cheese and roll them in the wrap for the deep fryer (can throw the pickle piece of jalapeno in with is too....im hungry now

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
refrigerator pickles stay fresh a long time. i will even use cukes that are bigger than normal and might otherwise be considered over ripe. not so ripe and big that they are round and yellow. but, bigger than is normally acceptable. cut ends off then cut em in half and use a spoon to de-seed them as the seeds tend to be the part that will get softer and mushier. then slice to size once seeds are removed.

1 gallon ice cream pail with enough cukes to fill it about 3/4 full

6 heads fresh dill

6 cloves garlic peeled and sliced or 1 tablespoon of the minced garlic that goes in the refrigerator

1 tablespoon of pepper flakes or a few peppers of your liking... be careful here as any more pepper flakes tend to give them too much kick for your average mother and child

1 tablespoon pickling spice

Brine: Only the water, salt and sugar is heated. But, if you give it some time and stir it so stuff disolves, you need not heat it up at all.

6 cups water non chlorinated water

1/3 Cup canning salt

2-3 Tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 cup white vinegar

1 c. Vodka

Once brine is dissolved, poor over cukes, cover and refrigerate. They can usually be eaten within a couple of days. I find that warm brine does finish them quicker. But, then they aren't quite as crunchy either.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^^^ very funny, of all the ones I make slippery hots are best take biggest cukes skin than take seeds out cut length wise sugar, white vinegar, pickling spice and couple small red hot peppers can good to go.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well,i took the easy way homemaid refrigerator cukes...

Peel,slice thin cucumber,,slice sweet onion,sliced one Serrano pepper,zesty Italian salad dressing covering cukes,let stand room temp for a couple hours give or take a few minutes,turned out perfect,crunchy, with a Italian zing.

Next time gotta remember garlic cloves and a sprig of dillweed

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second the Alum...not much needed. Don't forget the jalapenos....probably better than the pickles when they are done anyways. Have used the same fridge recipe for pickled eggs (minus the alum and heavy on the peppers)...need to sit a bit longer but they turn out great....not sure how long they would last because they are gone in a week at my place once they are done anyways.

When I do the pickles, I slice them in the right size to fit in a wonton wrap...dump out on a paper towel...add a slice of havarti cheese and roll them in the wrap for the deep fryer (can throw the pickle piece of jalapeno in with is too....im hungry now
Man I miss the Toasted Frog

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19