Dick's Sporting Goods in Bismarck

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Graphic1.jpg

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand that they really focus on apparel than they do other sporting activities. I guess the same can be said about Scheels; clothing and shoes are 85% of their square footage.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand that they really focus on apparel than they do other sporting activities. I guess the same can be said about Scheels; clothing and shoes are 85% of their square footage.

bedazzled womens clothes has more square footage than fishing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. West Minneapolis is now "big city" enough for a Fleet Farm. I'll talk to the Mills family about it.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really want a bass pro, they usually stock the right gear for the area. The Indiana location has mostly salmon and walleye gear, the south east is usually bass and saltwater, Vegas has cheap clothes, and the one in council bluffs made the mistake of building in a nanny state.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stopped in yesterday on my way home...not impressed. Their hunting and fishing sections are weak, geared towards sports and sports gear. I see a vacant building in the future.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need a cabelas. U can ship direct to any store from online. That would make me happy in the face

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rifle and shotgun shells are limited. Both have 3 shelves that are about 10 feet long. They do have 22 shells. Their gun selection is not very big. However, they do have some good prices on their special order guns. I looked at a Benelli Ultrlight and it was $100 less than Scheels.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I stopped up there yesterday after work and like others, I wasn't impressed much. The hunting/fishing area was pretty small and limited.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I lived in Bismarck, I really liked Runnings. They've done a nice job expanding their hunting area and carry a good selection. They always had lots of ammo and plenty of other misc stuff a guy needs. If I couldn't find it there, I'd buy it online wherever I could get free shipping and not pay any tax. I'm just not a fan of Scheels or Dicks (that's what she said).

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soccer moms are what keeps big sporting goods stores open, they are not making the profits on fishing rods, and gun sales. Its the Drs. wife that has to own under armor, and $200 nike running shoes that keeps these stores making money.
The mark up on clothing, is 200%, the mark up on guns is like 2%.

Only makes sense they are going to push the higher profit stuff, and believe it or not, soccer is a sport...hahaha

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second the notion of getting a bass pro. I'm sure this Dick's will make it hard(see what I did there) for Scheels to have such high prices on some of their items. I think they get a little carried away, because for the most part Scheels has enjoyed a monopoly in this area. It would be nice to see someone come in that can compete.

On one hand, being that Dicks is more into specific sports I'm sure that is what we will see. However, having been in the retail business, their mark up on clothing is not 200%, I can promise you that. But I'm sure a large chain like that, gets great guys from the brands they sell and has a very nice profit margin on their clothes.

For now, I will just deal with the pushy sales people at Scheels and take my points on the credit card to earn the gift cards.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like scheels.
They've always treated me well there. There is a ton of sales experience in the firearms, archery and fishing Dept's if you know the veteran guys to talk to. If not you can get in trouble quick talking to some young wannabe "professional" filling you full of hot air.
But all and all I like the store and how they support the community's. And the fishing gear with their name on it is tough to beat!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 145
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 51