Dick's Sporting Goods in Bismarck

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clothing and furniture have traditionally been sold at double the cost. Might not be 200%, but double would be 200%, and its close to that on most items, and likely more than that on other items. They are in business to make a profit, and I approve of that, or they would not be in business.
I am sure that cotton shirt that has the under armor logo on it cost $50 to make, when you can go to walmart and get a cotton shirt without the under armor logo for $3.00.

However a Browning gun is a Browning gun no mater where you purchase it, and the price will likely be about the same everywhere.

So I am just stating that the soft goods in a retail store are where the profit is, not so much in the hard lines. Maybe its only a 150% on some of the clothing, but it is never that on the guns.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
How gander in Fargo is still open is beyond me. They have to be hemorrhaging money badly and for years on that store

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dicks will make a killing in Bismarck. Kids clothing and sports equipment is where they will make their money. People in Bismarck take little kids sports WAY to serious, so they are whiling to spend butt loads on money on sports crap. I work with a guy that bitches about being broke all the time but has his 3 boys in every single sport they can be and they wear nothing but under armour clothing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see guys driving new pickups that haul new boats and campers away from their new house that piss and moan about not having any money either. Priorities are different for everyone. I think spending money on getting your kids in sports is a good thing. I'd rather see kids doing that than wheezing their way to mcdonalds. I can tell you one thing for sure, if my kid chooses to play hockey, I will NOT let him/her be a goalie. They'll have to bundle up with bubble wrap and cardboard before I buy new pads every year.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on Mike, being the goalie is where it's at!!! Just don't buy new. Lot's of goalies who outgrow their perfectly good stuff that are willing to sell it for greatly reduced prices. Just don't let your kid be the prima donna that needs custom stuff all the time.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on Mike, being the goalie is where it's at!!! Just don't buy new. Lot's of goalies who outgrow their perfectly good stuff that are willing to sell it for greatly reduced prices. Just don't let your kid be the prima donna that needs custom stuff all the time.

Ha I know. I was a catcher since I was 8 years old and I think if we would have had hockey, I'd have been between the posts. This is why I like the simplicity of wrestling. Shoes and headgear. and soap...lots of soap.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
No handguns, no ARs, bad ammo selection, archery gear is very minimal. Fishing selection is marginal. I originally thought that whole building would be Dicks, low and behold it wasn't. Half Gordmans, half DSG. Would have really liked to seen a bigger hunting/fishing section. Oh well that's why I gots a scheels card.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clothing and furniture have traditionally been sold at double the cost. Might not be 200%, but double would be 200%, and its close to that on most items, and likely more than that on other items. They are in business to make a profit, and I approve of that, or they would not be in business.
I am sure that cotton shirt that has the under armor logo on it cost $50 to make, when you can go to walmart and get a cotton shirt without the under armor logo for $3.00.

However a Browning gun is a Browning gun no mater where you purchase it, and the price will likely be about the same everywhere.

So I am just stating that the soft goods in a retail store are where the profit is, not so much in the hard lines. Maybe its only a 150% on some of the clothing, but it is never that on the guns.

I don't want to argue with you, because I think we actually both agree, just are stating things differently, but a mark up of double the cost is a 100% markup, not 200. But I think for Dicks, scheels, etc, there cost of goods on the retail side of things is probably in the 40-50% range, which if you think about the # of transactions they do and the $$'s they sell, they are making a killing on Bismarck customers. This is why I think it would be great to get some competition around here. Bring em all in I say. Just wish Dakota Tackle could expand to hunting as well. They would get all my business.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to Dicks to check it out last night but was not impressed at all. Very limited selection on everything and prices were very similar to Scheels or higher. Scheels must be a little worried because I seen one of their managers wandering around the store.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to Dicks to check it out last night but was not impressed at all. Very limited selection on everything and prices were very similar to Scheels or higher. Scheels must be a little worried because I seen one of their managers wandering around the store.

that's friggen hilarious.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats nothing new. when i lived and worked in minot, i knew a manager from "Marketplace foods" and was perosanlly told they went and checked "the new cashwise "prices often. i cannot verify it, but do trust what this person told me.

Bringthenoise

Founding Member
Founding Member

It would be stupid if they didn't go see what the new competition has to offer, which from what I saw wasn't much.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just at Dicks , I agree I was not impressed. But I did snag a deal on field and stream button fishing shirts 50% UV it was not marked but when i bought one it was $13 at the till, so I went back and got 4 more in different colors so 5 shirts for $53, that's half off regular price

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stopped at dicks yesterday. Not impressed. If it's not on sale it was not cheap. Selection was terrible and the checkout lines were crazy long. Walked out with nothing and don't plan on stopping again.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Far cry from the mythical scheels killer rumors I've been hearing since early 2000. Really disappointing, actually. I'll wait and see how they handle Black Friday, otherwise I don't see myself ever going back. For one thing the floor space is way too small and their fishing selection is dwarfed by the north walmarts. They desperately need to get a "local" manager in there and revamp. Only advantage with the small floor space, I'm sure they can limp along just as long as fargo's gander.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
...and the checkout lines were crazy long.
If all reports from sportsmen on this site have been negative but there are "crazy long lines", it's obvious we're not their target market. I don't think they're here to compete in the hunting/fishing market.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
the lines are long because its new. once the 150,000 people in the Bismarck-Mandan and surrounding areas check it out it'll die down. Its got a Bed Bath and Beyond next to it so that may keep a few customers lurking around in the future. they also have something scheels does not and that is easier access and convenience for the growing north side of Bismarck and easy access off of 83. side by side it would never compete with scheels but based on location it may survive. . . ..

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never gone through a store so fast. No handguns? Well if they want to be pansies and go the way of Walmart I don't want to support them. No reloading equipment at all. They will have to have one heck of a sale to get me to ever walk through their doors again. I have been in Dicks Sporting in other towns I don't know why I thought it was worth stopping at this one. I literally made a U turn at the gun counter and went back out.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How was their bedazzled jeans section? Is it better than Scheels?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82