Electric Vehicles

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not like they weren't warned. Cold and electric......don't play well together. Electric cars in the northland is going to get people killed. I don't like to see folks struggle, but come on. The writing on the wall couldn't have been any bigger.
B I N G O ! ! !

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of our techs at work has a Tesla and it goes from 250 miles per charge down quit a bit when gets cold out. Does not like to drive it much when gets really cold.
Sounds like a wise investment here in the Dakota's

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When our lithium batteries for cordless tools drop to a certain temp the tool will only work at about 1/4 the power or so. So to drive in a 3” screw with a cordless impact takes about twenty seconds vs two seconds. And it won’t sink the screw head into the wood. Cars will be no different

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When our lithium batteries for cordless tools drop to a certain temp the tool will only work at about 1/4 the power or so. So to drive in a 3” screw with a cordless impact takes about twenty seconds vs two seconds. And it won’t sink the screw head into the wood. Cars will be no different
Correct that is big downfall vs ole batteries in drills

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a wise investment here in the Dakota's
Says it cost him about $12 to $16 to charge to full 250 miles. With his 110 volt charger only charges in 10 to 12 hour time frame for 30 miles. With his big 220 volt charger takes 40 minutes to full charge. Not for me never will be. But does all kinds cool shit on big lcd display.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct that is big downfall vs ole batteries in drills
And they won’t charge until they reach a certain temp. So that requires putting them in a warm spot for a couple hours before charging. Thus we have to have far more batteries and six bank chargers

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s lost on me why they don’t have battery swapout design with automated stations.

Pull up, vehicle battery gets pulled out (robotic), charged battery goes in, off you go. Two minute process.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s lost on me why they don’t have battery swapout design with automated stations.

Pull up, vehicle battery gets pulled out (robotic), charged battery goes in, off you go. Two minute process.
Cuz there is only enough lithium in the earths crust for 6 car batteries per 250000 people.......DUH!!!

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Because the objective isn't to make it more convenient to travel but just the opposite if you ask me. You can't control a populace that can freely travel.

Conspiracy theories are conspiracy theories until they're not..

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Dont commercial vehicles cause the majority of wear and tear on our highways? I think I heard that somewhere once. Electric vehicles are typically lighter than petro fueled, so they should pay less, no?
Semi owner. On top of the fuel tax already mentioned, we pay a yearly $550 heavy haul tax in July and then annual vehicle registration is by weight

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Because they weigh a shit pile and have to be tucked into an area robots couldn’t remove.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of our techs at work has a Tesla and it goes from 250 miles per charge down quit a bit when gets cold out. Does not like to drive it much when gets really cold.
Agreed,cold weather, ev's not good.

Neighbor has a Chevrolet Bolt,winter temps he claims he loses 40% power,further if car charge is low,even 50% he goes w/o limited uses of heater,radio,wipers etc.fingers crossed they make it to point B.hard pass for ole snow,ev

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

You'd have to have them in a very secure location somehow. Aren't they like $25K??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is all about control! They don't like our freedoms. What gives you more freedom than a car that can go all the way across the county for a few tanks of gas. If everything is electric, they can doll out the juice bits at a time. They don't want anything to run on gas! We're gonna have to come up with some unique ways to generate our own electricity that they can't control.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What needs to happen and it will bms that can charge individual cells at the same time, allowing batteries to be charged in seconds instead of minutes. It's not a pipe dream and companies out of Korea have already started developing the batteries that can be charged that go into cell phones. Of course electric vehicles are a long ways down the road.
https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/extreme-fast-charge-batteries.html
This was the only one I could find but it gives you a better idea as to what I posted on.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Except for the time to bolt the body back down....

Ev car batteries ive seen,long ( bumper to bumper) 3"'s+ thick

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'd have to have them in a very secure location somehow. Aren't they like $25K??
What I mean is that all cars would use the same base battery system (maybe several tiers of capacity).

Your cars have IDs built in and it communicates with the station when you pull up.

Like a carwash - you roll up, technology logs your car - in you go - out the other end with the charged battery. Every car uses them - you get billed for each “fill” and how much was left on the old one.

Like epass on tollways - people use them and get billed accordingly. Everything gets worked out without anyone leaving their car.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I mean is that all cars would use the same base battery system (maybe several tiers of capacity).

Your cars have IDs built in and it communicates with the station when you pull up.

Like a carwash - you roll up, technology logs your car - in you go - out the other end with the charged battery. Every car uses them - you get billed for each “fill” and how much was left on the old one.

Like epass on tollways - people use them and get billed accordingly. Everything gets worked out without anyone leaving their car.
I get it. To fill my pickup at the service station is about 4 minutes all said and done, of course I get around 525 miles with my extended 32 gallon tank, so I can head to Fargo, and make it back to Bismarck sometimes before needing to fill again.
So if these electric battery places can swap out a battery every 100 miles, likely 50 in cold weather, and each battery swap out takes lets say on the light side of 18 minutes, at trip to Fargo and back would only take 12 stops at 18 minutes a stop, it would only add 3hours and 40 minutes to your journey.
Much better than the potential 2 extra days it might take you to charge that vehicle on this same journey now.

I am in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 89
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33