Electric Vehicles

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get it. To fill my pickup at the service station is about 4 minutes all said and done, of course I get around 525 miles with my extended 32 gallon tank, so I can head to Fargo, and make it back to Bismarck sometimes before needing to fill again.
So if these electric battery places can swap out a battery every 100 miles, likely 50 in cold weather, and each battery swap out takes lets say on the light side of 18 minutes, at trip to Fargo and back would only take 12 stops at 18 minutes a stop, it would only add 3hours and 40 minutes to your journey.
Much better than the potential 2 extra days it might take you to charge that vehicle on this same journey now.

I am in.
No. Robots do it in say 1 minute or less… from underneath the vehicle.

Cartridge style - Like big DeWalt or Milwaukee batteries.

Faster than traditional fueling.

And they’re right on the interstate - like rest stops.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. Robots do it in say 1 minute or less… from underneath the vehicle.

Cartridge style - Like big DeWalt or Milwaukee batteries.

Faster than traditional fueling.

And they’re right on the interstate - like rest stops.
How much to buy into this new "science" of yours. I actually think you might be onto something.

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No worry the Government will fund it all. Pay for it with our gas tax money.
I would reply with "the government doesn't fund anything, we do" but the way they're printing funny money I'd be wrong, all the while destroying the dollars we're holding.. freighting and sickening it is.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like where your going with the swap batteries out deal. But one reason it might not work is I would assume they are like any other battery. As they age they take less charge and the charge likely doesnt last as long either. Why would I want to swap my battery out of a brand new rig, new battery with some dude whose got an EV on its last legs with a weak battery?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like where your going with the swap batteries out deal. But one reason it might not work is I would assume they are like any other battery. As they age they take less charge and the charge likely doesnt last as long either. Why would I want to swap my battery out of a brand new rig, new battery with some dude whose got an EV on its last legs with a weak battery?
All batteries in the cue have been monitored for performance by a data logger in every battery and get yanked for rebuild when they don’t pass the standard.

You own the car, not the batteries. If a battery is lame it doesn’t matter - it’ll get you to the next station, where you can swap it for another.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All batteries in the cue have been monitored for performance by a data logger in every battery and get yanked for rebuild when they don’t pass the standard.

You own the car, not the batteries. If a battery is lame it doesn’t matter - it’ll get you to the next station, where you can swap it for another.
Kind of like property taxes. You don't own the property, just leasing it from the government

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just what I'd want to do on a 300 mile drive across ND in January, stop every 50 miles and charge my car for a 30 minutes.............that'll make a 4 hour trip last a whole fucking day! Are these people completely nuts???
Guess they are nuts lol buncha dumbasses

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member

You are using that thing on top of your shoulders for something more than just a hat rack. :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are using that thing on top of your shoulders for something more than just a hat rack. :)
IMG_9358.jpeg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have often wondered why the car makers and/or regulators didn't start out the whole EV thing with a standardized battery pack and connections. Then I looked and saw that the batteries weigh between 500 and 2900 lbs (that heavy one is in the Hummer H3), so a "standardized" battery pack would have to be small enough to fit in the frunk (or wherever) in the smallest of EV, and the bigger EVs would need to be able to accommodate multiple battery packs. Then there would likely be some issues with weight distribution.

In general, I view this as nothing more than an engineering challenge and suspect it will happen sometime down the road, like well before I ever think about buying one.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why not like a trolly car and you only need enough electricity to get to main line then you hook up, punch in where you want to go and take a nap. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not like a trolly car and you only need enough electricity to get to main line then you hook up, punch in where you want to go and take a nap. LB
Yep - and possibly inductive coupling (wireless charger style) built into the road so people/critters don’t fry themselves.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m for the development of the technology and if you want to buy one more power to you (pun intended). The bigger limiting issues to me is the grid. We are old and outdated as it is and simply don’t have the capacity to charge all the vehicles. They say that a full truck stop of Tesla semis would take as much power as a small town. A busy gas station would use as much powe as a pro sports stadium. We’d need to plan for this today to make it feasible and we’re not.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my co workers Tesla on my car lift and their is no way them batteries are coming out hell that thing is size of fucking mattress. The only cool thing is a motor on each wheel, and they are rocket ship take off from stop light. Have fun for those that like them. He had to borrow a company gas vehicle during that cold snap.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 211
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70